Your costume projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanazel

We made a mock-up skirt in a lightweight crepe, and it's hanging to get the hemline right, but I have a question about the hemline in a double circle skirt: is it meant to be one even curve all the way around, or is it meant to be "loopy", with the curve from each half-circle longer than the seams?
QUOTE]

I don't quite understand the question. 1) Do you mean should the layered skirts be different lengths, a shorter one on top of a longer one? 2) Or should a single layered skirt be longer in the front than at the sides?

In case of number one, that is a matter of taste. In case of number two, if you cut the skirt right, it will be the same length all the way around: the line from the top of a side seam to the bottom will be the same length as a line from the middle of the top of the skirt (at the hipline) to the middle of the bottom of the skirt (at the hemline). (Boy, this is so much more difficult to explain than to just show someone!)

gwinity

Sorry, Shanazel, I didn't make myself very clear, did I? I meant, because it's a double circle (not two layered single circles), the unhemmed circle falls with a scalloped edge, each one a half-circle. I wasn't sure whether to leave the scalloped edge, so that the skirt would be longer in the centre of each panel, between the seams, or to have the skirt the same length all the way around.

Make sense now? :)

I took the unfinished skirt to class last night to confirm that it was what my teacher wanted, and she clarified the hem issue for me: it's to be one length all the way around, not scalloped.

Despite it's weight, it's great to dance in. :D

Shanazel

Glad you got it figured out. I like the feel of a heavier skirt, as long as it still has good hand. Stiff and heavy wouldn't work for me at all, but flowy and heavy makes me feel very elegant. (Flowy is a highly technical term, by the way:) )

gwinity

Flowy is a highly technical term, by the way
LOL!!
It feels really pretty to dance in (and because it's crepe, it's marvellously flowy), so even though it's not the real one, I'm going to keep it for everyday wear and practicing.

Thanks for all your advice and assistance!

gwinity

I finished the satin skirt and matching gypsy top the other weekend, and they feel divine to dance in. I have a belt, similar to this one (link to ebay page) in irridescent purple-blue-copper beads that looks gorgeous over the sharkskin-green satin.

problem: I have big hips, and because the belt is stretchy, I'm terrified it's going to break. If I can get more beads in similar colourings, I might completely re-make it (or make another); if not, I'm going to devote any spare time I have to reinforcing each row. And, of course, a girl's gotta have matching accessories, right? :D

Suhad

OK, waiting for shots to be fired...hubby has been commenting lately on how much he misses the plaid (tartan for those of you in the UK) flannel shirts I used to wear when we first met. I guess he's getting tired of me looking nice or something :p . I keep telling him I'm addicted to sparklies now, and I gotta have 'em or I just don't feel right.

But -- our anniversary is on Halloween, and in the spirit of the holiday I thought I would make a plaid flannel ghawazee type coat to wear with some hugely flowy harem pants. I ordered the pattern yesterday and will be shopping for flannel soon; I'll post a picture as soon as I get it made. I already have a "tribaret" type coin and bead bra I made, with a matching hip scarf so I still get my bling and he gets his flannel. :cool:

Boy, is he gonna be surprised!

gwinity

I haven't taken any yet, but I'll see what I can do. :) Sadly, I'm not performing in it this weekend, becaus the stage was too small for all of us, but I might get out the tripod and camera at home. :D

Suhad, that sounds priceless - definitely show us a photo when it's done!

Aliz

My first costume

Hi! I'm new to this site, and I've never sewn anything in my life, but I've just bought all the materials for making a belly dance costume. I'm so excited to start sewing! It's going to be dark red / wine colored (I just realized I have no idea what the fabrics are called...), with gold decorations added, and hopefully it'll be done by next halloween. ;)

Aliz

gwinity

... and for my next costume, I'm working on a couple of tribaret bras, a raspberry-satin circle skirt and a fringed belt. Gosh, I'm getting adventurous, aren't I? :)

I also want to make a dressmaker's dummy to my own proportions using this idea, so I can keep my bras from going flat on me.

Babylonia

My hubby and I made one from duct tape a few years back. It came out ok but the next one we make will be better because I will make it longer, almost to the knee. I liked the fact that it was unique to me, it had my proportions, not just my bust/waist/hip measurments but also my back length, my shoulders etc.

Shanazel

I've always wished my size was consistent enough to justify the time I'd spend making one of these. I'm one of those folks who keeps a wardrobe in a range of sizes from 10 to 16. Alas, after the holidays, I am in the upper end of the sizes.:( Away from the kitchen and back to the gym for me.

I'm not making a costume for me just now, but one of the requirements of teacher certification for Embroiderers Guild of America is to make a three dimensional embroidery. I am doing a soft sculpture woman in middle eastern dress.

joyisadancer

Dressmakers Dummy and Cupons

Gwinity,

That looks like a good way to make a dressmakers dummy. I've used the duct tape method to make medieval bodices and it worked pretty well. Another idea you might consider is wire. I have a dummy frame that is a large wire grid that snaps open in the front and back. You strech the grid wide and snap it onto the person you want to fit. Then you bend the little wire grids until the dummy is snug against the person. You then unsnap the front and back, take it off the person, and resnap it onto a t-stand. It sounds complicated but it is really simple and you have a dummy that exactly represents the body shape of anyone you need to make costume parts for. I have used the same dummy to make costumes for size 6 women and size 16 women.

I'm trying to attach a picture that I found that shows the concept although this is a bit older and rougher than the version I use...

hopefully that works :)

On another note...
Earlier in this thread some people were complaining about finding fabrics and the Joann's cupons being useless because the good fabric is always a little on sale so the cupon does not apply. However, most major chain stores (ie. Hancocks, Michael's, ect...) will honor thier competitors cupons. I often use my Joann's cupon at the local Hancocks. They don't advertise this but if you ask I bet they will do it.

Shanazel

Joy, did you buy the wire dummy or is it something you made? I would love to have one.

Aniseteph, I'll see what I can do about pictures when I finish her- I've never posted a picture, but I reckon there's always a first time for everything. Right now I am padding her dear little wire aperture with wool roving and am fascinated by the way she's taking shape.

belly_dancer

I've always wished my size was consistent enough to justify the time I'd spend making one of these. I'm one of those folks who keeps a wardrobe in a range of sizes from 10 to 16. Alas, after the holidays, I am in the upper end of the sizes.:( Away from the kitchen and back to the gym for me.

meee tooooo & instead of my usual 20 lbs, I've mangaged to gain 25 this year!!! maybe we should meet at the fit for life thread!!!:lol: (seriously.. any tips you have for losing it again????)

for this thread....(glad someone else has these issues (but sad too!:( ) )
I have started making my costumes to be adjustable.... 2 sets of hooks for front closing belts, even ties (like the usual tie coin sashes) sometimes work on beaded (caberet-esque) belts... ( & I happen to love the old time "glitter- ghawazee" or what i guess would be called trib-er-et nowadays! so that idea works well)
I do not like tie bras.... so usually try to make matching bolero type vests to cover the back & armpit fleshy overhang you get w/ a few added pounds!
How do you (& others!!) make your costumes adjustable??

gwinity

Another idea you might consider is wire. I have a dummy frame that is a large wire grid that snaps open in the front and back. You strech the grid wide and snap it onto the person you want to fit. Then you bend the little wire grids until the dummy is snug against the person. You then unsnap the front and back, take it off the person, and resnap it onto a t-stand. It sounds complicated but it is really simple and you have a dummy that exactly represents the body shape of anyone you need to make costume parts for. I have used the same dummy to make costumes for size 6 women and size 16 women.
What a fantastic idea, Joy! Shanazel beat me to it by asking what sort of wire you use - is it a specific dressmaker's tool thingy, or could you replicate it (carefully) with a sheet or two of cheap chicken wire?

joyisadancer

dressmakers dummy

The one I use is store bought (thrift-store at least). however, we did make one for a friend of mine when I was in college since she was moving away and would no longer have access to the wonder dummy :) We used the plastic covered electrical wire and made a kind of grid. Then we used little metal crimps where the wires joined. (My friend supplied them so I don't know where she found them.) It was made in roughly the shape of a very large T-shirt with the middle front and back being open. She just used a twist of wire in a few places to hold the front and back closed since she didn't have the snaps. All in all the home made version was very effective if a little rougher looking than a store bought one. We used a cheap music stand for the rest so it would have adjustable height.

I bet you might be able to use chicken wire to make a similar dummy. Just make sure the wire is light enough that you can bend it without the aid of pliers.

Sometimes you can find them on ebay if you keep checking back. My first one I bought at a thrift store in North Dakota :) Just goes to show you never know what you're going to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.