Your costume projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amulya

Lost this one too....
What are you making right now?
I am trying to remodel a bra. It never fitted right and I put this off for so long, but it needs to be done.

Shanazel

I am making a bedlah in purple and gold to be used as the prototype for a class I teach in costume making and embellishment. So far the class has been pretty informal as I iron out the bugs in the system, but I am writing the booklet now and hope to teach the class through the Embroiderers' Guild of America correspondence courses.

gwinity

On a whim I bought a coin/chain bra and belt set off ebay. They're too small for me, so I'm trying to work out how to reconfigure them into something wearable.

I'm also looking at making my own hip scarf.

Not in the same league as bedlahs and beaded bras, but it's a start, right? :D

Shanazel

My other project to be: the Turkish costume from FolkWear patterns. I love the thing, and fully intend to turn up dressed that way at one of the symphony concerts this fall- minus tubans and excess cleavage, of course. I can carry this "don't mind Shanazel, she's an artist, and you know how they are" only so far. Still, it is remarkable what I can get away with...:)

Madeline

I’m working on a multi-colored bedlah. So far the front of the bra is completely covered, but I still need to figure out what to make the belt out of! :confused:

Azeeza

I have many projects on the back burner right now. Too many to post, unfortunately :-(

Azeeza

nitewindz

Making a 2 piece "beledi" dress out of a sequin covered top & skirt from the thrift store
Making a top & skirt decorated with yards of 4" beaded "old gold" colored trim, snipped from a different thrift store outfit
Making accent skirts out of multi-colored burnout velevt ponchos, with black fringe
Re-hemming a purple satin double circle skirt

Azeeza

Alterations

OK, here goes:

BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS,BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS,BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS,BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS,BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, BRA CUPS, etc.

Azeeza

Azeeza

Oh, PS

Oh, but I did get some sleeves done, not decorated and I am working on a matching skirt, which is still in the pattern viewing stages :( .

Azeeza

slinks

I'm working on 3 costumes right now... they're all updates of old ones... changing the beads on a purple bedlah set with new bra..... doing a new bra for the red costume.... and making a new skirt for the green bedlah set....

Shahina

I love birthdays, (especially if they're my own!). With the big day coming up next week, my mother and I stopped by the fabric store to see if I could find more pretty shiny things to make into costumes. The sale rack will never be the same!
What we found was:
-Purple charmeuse for a gypsy blouse and a circle skirt ($3.50/yard after the 50% off coupon)
-a shiny purple-blue whorled pattern cotton/poly blend for a bolero vest ($1.60 a yard)
-a lavender and blue watercolor type print material for a choli (still need to look at the reciept for the remenant price)

and my prize of prizes from the sale:
-over 5 yards worth of pale pinkish-lavendar sari material with a silver border for a circle panel skirt (and maybe a veil if I have enough left over) at $2.00/yard

The result? Two costume's worth of fabric for under $60. All I need is a belt or coin scarf and I'll be set.

Azeeza

Happy Early Birthday!

I love birthdays, (especially if they're my own!). With the big day coming up next week, my mother and I stopped by the fabric store to see if I could find more pretty shiny things to make into costumes. The sale rack will never be the same!
What we found was:
-Purple charmeuse for a gypsy blouse and a circle skirt ($3.50/yard after the 50% off coupon)
-a shiny purple-blue whorled pattern cotton/poly blend for a bolero vest ($1.60 a yard)
-a lavender and blue watercolor type print material for a choli (still need to look at the reciept for the remenant price)

and my prize of prizes from the sale:
-over 5 yards worth of pale pinkish-lavendar sari material with a silver border for a circle panel skirt (and maybe a veil if I have enough left over) at $2.00/yard

The result? Two costume's worth of fabric for under $60. All I need is a belt or coin scarf and I'll be set.

Happy early birthday, Shahina!!!

Now, where do you go fabric shopping? I can't find any deals like that! The best I've found is $3.99 a yard for organza, and that's only a dollar off.

Joanne's coupons are worthless because they have sales on fabric and you can't use your coupon, which is a better deal, when there is a sale going on. And if you go when there isn't a sale, most of the good stuff has been picked over.

Hancock fabric had remnants in a bin for $8.99 a yard and that was on sale! I don't find that much of a bargain.

Hobby Lobby doesn't have a whole lot of great selection, I've found although, I can make do.

Where do you shop? I gotta know :D !

Azeeza

Last edited:

da Sage

If there are not many fabric stores in your area, then the ones that *are* there get picked over.

Visit regularly.

I got stretch purple metallic mesh at Hancock for $1.99/yd. You just have to watch, and be lucky.

I don't approve of Walmart's corporate policies, but I've been known to shop in their fabric/craft department because the deals are so good. Again, you can't count on finding something on every visit.

Finally, try shopping online.

http://www.fabric.com/
http://www.denverfabrics.com/

Azeeza

Hi Da Sage:

I think I may have gotten the same stretch velvet that you have in purple but, mine are black, purple, and red. I thought I was getting a great deal for $3.99 a yard last December at Hancock Fabrics.

Going often is better, but I have to drive 20 minutes each way. Which is better, spending more time in the car and spending money on gas or going less often and spending more per fabric purchase??? Hmm...I'll have to really study that.

Azeeza

Shanazel

We have one- count 'em, ONE- fabric store here (Hancocks) that is a) not wholly devoted to quilting fabric or b) part of Walmart, where I do not shop for a lot of reasons, moral and polictical, that I will not go into here. Oh, I guess there is Hobby Lobby, but I don't go there much. I occasionally find good stuff on the Hancocks remnant tables, but not too often. We used to have the most glorious fabric store here- silks, fine wools, brocades, good synthetics (as opposed to the ones that melt on your body in a hard rain)- but, alas, the owner retired, and no one has filled the gap, though one gal claims she is going to try. It is a four hour drive one way to the closest REAL (read: non-chain) fabric store that I've heard of (Fabric Merchant of Venice in Fort Collins, Colorado). I hope to get there in a couple of weeks and discover it is all I hope it will be. I am longing for something out of the ordinary. I have taken to hand dyeing fabrics to get what I want- have some great sucesses and some stuff to be used as dog beds...

Shahina

Actually I did find this all at Jo-Ann's. The store where I live usually has stuff hidden on the wall with other "silky" materials as they like to label them. Also scour the clearance racks like nobody's business (remember to check the RIGHT side of the fabric to see what you're really getting). Oh yeah, also forgot to mention that I picked up three yards of a sheer kind of holographic poly material with spiders on it (leftover from halloween) for $1.40 a yard to use as a veil for gothic gigs. I figure the transitioning purple and green will look really cool under stage lights.

Madeline

Jo-ann Fabrics also sells polyester Silk Essence, which makes lovely harem pants.

Shahina, I think I might have the same kind of holographic fabric as you, only mine has a different pattern!

Status
Not open for further replies.