Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I'm with Kashmir.you need to find a teacher and that being said find a good one.
    Yep.

A lot of this dance is actually illusion -- movement looks like it's happening one place, but it's actually being generated somewhere else.

I've had a few video-taught students in my classes, and they are the ones who have the HARDEST time with it.

If you aren't terribly serious about it, videos are fine. But videos won't teach you anything about the dancer's relationship to the music. (Except Ranya's, but it's devoted to a specific kind of music, and without a teacher to help you make sense of it, it can be hard to extrapolate that to other kinds of music.)

If you think you might AT ANY TIME want to get serious about it, then don't build up bad habits with videos. Classes in the north are about $10 an hour. $10 a week is easier to find than you might think, even with a baby. I let some of my students pay by the week. Ask about that.

If you're really serious about learning, then no, you will not be able to learn by videos alone. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's the simple fact. (And I'm not just saying this to drum up business for classes!!) LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I'm with Kashmir.you need to find a teacher and that being said find a good one.
    In the mean time if you really have no money and do have internet connection anyway..ask for advice of Youtube tuition from experienced dancers. Otherwise look for second hand good condition DVDs and VHS (if you have the machine) from places like OD and Bhuz swapmeet BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Everything Belly Dance! Welcome to BHUZ - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community » BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community - Welcome to BHUZ!. You can get the latter for a few dollars.
    Frankly I would recommend watching dancers perform as well as any instruction from dancers of the country whose style you want follow. There are instrcutional VHS/DVDs by Raqia Hassan (these were very expensive but second hand better) Of course the filming is hardly pristine and they may look dated but you are getting teaching from a top Egyptian teacher. One US teacher who has the reputation for good Egyptian teaching is Shareen El Safy. I don't know wether or not she has updated to DVD? Her delivery is not of the best but the technique:Nice.
    I am sure other people can help you out regarding Turkish tuition wither by native dancers or American
    For clear tution I did like the basics from IAMED with Paulina and I think these are more reasonable. I also got years ago very cheaply the Neena and Veena DVDS on eBay..not exactly my cup of tea I have to say.somewhat cheesy but solid basics.
    oh god Neena and Veena, their Discover Belly Dance was my first DVD set, ever, yes cheese, but what sort? something American? oh I don't know. but like you say good solid basics.

But yeah if and when one can, then yeah find a teacher, keep looking, there may be right under your nose. i've just found a lady who is teaching Egyptian sytle, in my town, I can't believe, little old Stevenage, i means its a chav-topia! and shes been about abit too, in the UK and Egypt, with recognised dancers and musicians. teaches dance at the local college, does classes and seems lovely.

I emailed her last night, I was sooo excited I wanted slap myself across the face from sheer excitement. I'm glad its now, and not 8 months earlier when I started, if she takes me on, which by the look of her site, she should do (fingers crossed), atleast i'll have quite a good background and some experience and knowledge on the matter.

oh its all coming along, going to halfa this saturday to see the vibe, watch students perform, have a boogie myself. found me teacher it looks like, local at that, and teaching the Egyptian style. getting a costume, oh hazaar, this time next year i may be getting down on some hafla stage, maybe get a little job eventually, i'd like go on the gay scene, some pub/bar in soho. but i've digressed now, so i shall be away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    IF (and this may be a big if) there are qualified teachers near you, I encourage you to contact them and learn more about what they offer. And, if you want to take classes but don't have the money -- BARTER! You may have a skill or be able to offer a service they could use. Can you watch their kids? Can you alter their costumes? Clean their house? etc.

Obstacles can be overcome. Just get creative!

Regards,

Anala
    Oh, heavens to Betsy, yes, I'd trade belly dance lessons for house cleaning any time someone cared to barter one for the other. I cannot tell you how much I hate cleaning the bathroom. I've traded BD lessons for some lovely things.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink barter..

I totally agree with the barter system, I had 3 students that bartered for classes, one altered and made costumes for me, another babysat, and the last exchanged spa treatments, like waxing and pedicures...lol...it was great, except sometimes I needed the money more.

Just find any teachers you might be interested in and ask, it wouldn't hurt. I love teaching, and never pass up the opportunity to help a fellow dance enthusiast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    If you think you might AT ANY TIME want to get serious about it, then don't build up bad habits with videos. Classes in the north are about $10 an hour. $10 a week is easier to find than you might think, even with a baby. I let some of my students pay by the week. Ask about that.
    $10/ hour! NOT in NYC!!! 1 hour is between $15-$20. Yup, the expensive teacher charge $20/hour! Of course I can't afford for $20/hour, so I don't take these teachers. Usually $20 is for 1.5 hours, and $25 for 2 hours. However, some expensive teachers charge $20/hour, $30/2 hours. So, if you take 1.5 hours class for 3 or 4 times a week, $60-$80/ week x 4 weeks = $240-$320/ month Yeah many teachers have discount but still very expensive in NYC.... No wander I don't have money....

Post Thanks / Like

It's less away from the coasts which is why, unless it is $15-$20 a lesson where you live, if you can afford some DVD's you can also afford basic instruction for at least a month. Start with a live teacher first it will make all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirika Repun View Post
    $10/ hour! NOT in NYC!!!
    The OP is from the North, so that's why I said classes in the North. It's easy to do a quick survey of web sites to see who's charging what.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great information, you all and I know and realize videos will only go so far. *sigh* So I have decided to save some money and try to take at least a few lessons and supplement with video, like others have said and take classes when I can. I found 2 teachers here, Mirah Ammal, at the Al Bahira Dance Theater in Mlps. and I found another where I live in St. Paul. I will probably try the one in St. Paul because its on Saturdays and 4 blocks from my sisters house, so she can watch my son but these ones are more expensive than anyone her I have seen and she is a level 2 dancer teaching beginners, is that bad? Everyone else charges $80 for 8 weeks of classes but the St. Paul one charges $140 for 7 classes! I guess I am stuck trying to pay that because it is more convenient to where I live and the other classes are at night in Minneapolis and a 1hr bus ride. Oh well, I haven't decided yet. Ababalond, Thank you for your advice! It was very helpful! I decided I really like the Egyptian style of dance very much and hope to learn all I can about it. I learned a little something else, though, today. I felt a little bummed out about classes and told my friend about it, who I just got off the phone with in Egypt, laughed when I told her about having to find a teacher to belly dance and she said why and I told her what people on the forum said and she really laughed! I was puzzled and she said, "I don't know why these Americans say this to you! If you have a mirror and imitate the teacher in the DVD as closely as you can, you can do this! If you feel you are doing something wrong or uncertain, then go to a class or two and ask the teacher to show you but to say you can't learn by DVD is ridiculous. Most women who belly dance here do not learn from teachers! They learn from watching dancers in person and getting a pointer or two from relatives who dance. Actual classes here are unheard of, these are for the foreigners and a way of income for our people here because it is big, big, business! They have 1 or 2 big workshops a year for them and everybody comes from all over the world but you will rarely if ever see us Egyptian women taking these because we do it on our own without these things. Without these foreigners, many dancers would not have jobs but its not the end of the world to not have teacher. Its not a bad thing but you don't have to have teacher." I was kinda surprised by what she said after all what I read in the forum to me. I am sorta relieved but I still kinda want a teacher (for "mommy time") and because I would feel more comfortable having someone I can talk to about what I am doing and it will be more fun learning with other women, too. But if that doesn't work out how I plan, then I will try it the DVD way. Actually, somebody told me that in Morocco too, when I went to visit the in-laws, a few years ago but I never believed them, I thought they were joking.

Post Thanks / Like

Morocco Goddess your friend in Eygpt is right. BUT for them this is a natural dance to music they grew up with for us it is not. We move different to music here. Just think of disco, street dancing ect. One reason is because of the music, we tend to be more free with movment. We do more couples dancing here than they do in Egypt. We also do not use the same muscles in our dancing since it it much more open. They internerizle movements where we are the oppisite.

Most DVDs I would not try to learn from if I had no classes first. There are a few like Habiba's and Ranya Ranee which you are better off trying that with, if you have not had lessons before. Most others just do not cover the internal or stance enough. Note both of these are egyptian dancers and teach egyptian style.

BTW $140 is awful expensive for that many classes. Your $80.00 for 8 is more normal. But check your local paper in the classified section under events or community or the section where they list community events. They will list classes there at rec centers for much cheaper. Also look under your local yellow pages in your phone book. Many dancers on a local level will not be on the net. This does not mean they are not good just that they have no time or interest in internet or computers. So keep looking and do not worry if you start by DVDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moroccan_goddess View Post
    Everyone else charges $80 for 8 weeks of classes but the St. Paul one charges $140 for 7 classes!
    Well.. how many hours/week are the classes?

If it is 2h/week, 7 classes and $140, you pay $10/h.
    If it is 1h/week, 8 classes and $80, you pay $10/h.

Check it out and do the math..

And please put in some paragraphs ...
    --
    Daim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast