Learning to belly dance??

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, this is only my second post! :D I tried looking in search to see if anyone else has asked this but it said my search was too general and after searching this thread, after page 17, I gave up! Anyways, my question is this: if you do not have money to take classes or access to a belly dance teacher, what can you do? How can you learn to belly dance? Are videos ok? and if so, which ones? I really, really, really want to learn but this is my main obstacle; finding a teacher and aquiring money to go to a class. :( Maybe one day I can afford to take a class or two but right now, all my money goes into my 2 yr. old. LOL.

JuJu

Mosaic

Super Moderator
It is of course Ideal to take classes, but quite a few people are in positions where they don't have access to teachers, or lack the funds.

So yes DVDs are a good place to start, but of course when you can get to a class it is recommended, you will get so much more from a class ( along with correct posture and correct way to execute movements) - If you learn to do something incorrectly it is very hard to correct that as it becomes part of your muscle memory, of course it can be corrected, but with all things it is better and easier if you learn something the right way in the first instance.

There are a number of threads about good DVDs for beginners -

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/5928-instructional-dvds.html

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/ins...-what-instructional-dvds-videos-you-have.html

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/oth...-belly-dancing-instructional-videos-good.html

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/9441-dvd-beginners-any-recommandation.html

If you search for: Instructional DVDs for beginners some other threads may turn up, but you will probably find most DVDs others recommend in these threads.
~Mosaic

Kashmir

Realistically you cannot learn belly dance from a video. If you already have a grounding then some people (not all) can gain a lot out of them. Why? The first stumbling block it translating what you see on video into your body. Many people cannot work just visually.

Next you need good skills at ensuring what you think you are doing is what you are doing (may be possible with a studio with mirrors and a couple of video cameras - but even then you need to not only look but to see - and learning to see is part of the journey)

The result may just be picking up bad habits which then takes even longer to break. Worse you might injure yourself through poor posture or unsafe moves (a good teacher can judge if you are ready to learn a move and can keep their eye on you as you learn it - no such feedback is available via video).

Next, the material in a video is limited to a few hours. When you attend class you get many more hours of information and guidance. Learning from a video gives you a very poor snapshot of the dance. A bit like learning to cook just using rice and beans. You can survive but it isn't much more than that.

Next, many videos are totally unsuitable for beginners (even if you are a visual learner, already have good body awareness and understanding of kinesiology, and have access to other materials). Worse - some of these are marketed at beginners - which is a big and undescerning market.

If you have limited funds, the best I'd suggest is take a private lesson. Work on it for a while then do follow ups. Also watch lots of good belly dancers. Live if you can. On video at home (rewinding and watching the same ones over and over) if that isn't possible (you lose a lot using only video though). At a very last resort on the internet. Frankly, if money is short I'd trade in the broadband connection and use the money to buy your own copies of performance videos.

gypsy

Hi JuJu,

There are some community ed classes that are pretty darn cheap. I'm in MN too, and I pay about $9 per class.
Don't give up, you can do as much with DVD's as you like, if you enjoy it! :)
-gypsy-

Nebetmiw

JuJu,

I can related on the money issue. As I am not working only hubby is right now. I would suggest reading about all the different styles here. When you find the one that suites you best then reading every review on teachings DVDs and looked up You Tube videos on that style. The You Tube is free and there are many some good some not so good. Check Shiras site and here for listings of teachers in your area. I know when I lived up North we had a local rec class that I never got around to taking. As Gypsy says they are cheap. Both sites have listings by state so it should help some. Make it a gift to yourself to recharge from your 2 year old. :)

PracticalDancer

I have commented before about the risks of virtual learning, and Kashmir as done a far better job of stating it here.

But, there are always other solutions out there! :)

IF (and this may be a big if) there are qualified teachers near you, I encourage you to contact them and learn more about what they offer. And, if you want to take classes but don't have the money -- BARTER! You may have a skill or be able to offer a service they could use. Can you watch their kids? Can you alter their costumes? Clean their house? etc.

Obstacles can be overcome. Just get creative! :)

Regards,

Anala

Amanda (was Aziyade)

And, if you want to take classes but don't have the money -- BARTER! You may have a skill or be able to offer a service they could use. Can you watch their kids? Can you alter their costumes? Clean their house? etc.

As a teacher, I would totally be up for this -- I desperately need someone to fix/maintain my website. But I think legally the easiest way to do it is to just exchange checks. You pay me $60 for classes, I pay you $60 for services rendered. That way tax-wise it's okay -- I assume!

maria_harlequin

Videos can be a great learning aid - I use them myself. For example, the teachers at my dance school don't provide classes that teach you how to balance swords so after two private lessons from an outside dancer, I bought Princess Farhana's sword DVD and that helped me alot. But learning to dance from videos? I understand not having the funds or you can't find a local teacher but like Kashmir said, realistically, you can't learn from videos.

If someone told you that they were learning how to dance ballet or learn martial arts from a video, would you take them seriously?

ababalond

i'm in similar situation, i started in August 09, and since have collected some 16 DVD's and there are many more out there.

many just address belly dance from an exercise fitness view, or as a just for fun, they don't really teach the subject per se, but a good instructional DVD that does is:

YouTube - Bellydance Egyptian Style: Modern Oriental, by Ranya Renée :: WorldDanceNewYork.com

by Ranya Renee on Modern Egyptian Oriental and her other is on Baladi she made, the urban Egyptian style.

YouTube - Bellydance Egyptian Style: The Baladi, by Ranya Renée : buy the set at WorldDanceNewYork.com!

but there a more styles out there, you can also research the subject on search engines.

there is a good article by Hozzam Ramzy on Baladi, from which classical modern Egyptian Oriental has grown:

"Baladi" by Hossam Ramzy

and this one on Egyptian sytles:

styles of egyptian dance including classical baladi

but heres a baladi: YouTube - Bellydancer Ranya Renee of NYC: Raks Beledi "Tahtil Shibbak

and an Egyptian Oriental: YouTube - Ranya Renée "Andah Aleik" solo Oriental dance, Sept. 2008

see there is quite difference, just in the Egyptain styles, as you may tell Egyptian is my point of interest, but there are many other styles out there under the name Sharki, so some discriminating is necessary, ie greek, turkish, lebanese, et cetera. pick one you like for now and get to know it intamately, youtube is good to watch and see pro's, focus on thing one time, like the styles sense of iso, then the same vid, but floor work, then arms and hands. even costume. and the same with other vids too. research for the tradition and culture of that particular style.

i've not had the pleasure of a teacher, and this is how i'm learning, try finding a hafla is you want, go down and check the students performing and get into the community that way if your able. I've not been to one yet, but i'm looking into it myself.

and ofcourse bellydanceforums.net is a good resource to bring up topics after you researched them, to discuss them and iron out vague points, if you start dancing like me you could start making videos, start a video journal of your learning curve, which is what i'm doing on youtube. you do get some ignorant condescensions and self important procrastinators.

you don't necessarily have to make them public, just make video journal and then watch yourself back, and study it like to you studied the other ones of pro's. but don't be defeating, its like learning to walk, getting the style into your muscle memory, and be careful and aware of a weakness on side perhaps, or leading floor work with one foot and not the other, support the moves with muscle tension and intent, like yoga never stain, watch your posture and alignment.

also if you feel confident enough there are BD communites in LJ, and belly dance forums like this one and other sites, where as an amatuer or student, you may be able to post to get feedback, support, criticism, try not take it personally, some can be quite exacting, hold your own, remember your learning and take it in your stride, its all to improve yourself. and remember to have FUN and experiement.

Last edited:

lizaj

I'm with Kashmir.you need to find a teacher and that being said find a good one.
In the mean time if you really have no money and do have internet connection anyway..ask for advice of Youtube tuition from experienced dancers. Otherwise look for second hand good condition DVDs and VHS (if you have the machine) from places like OD and Bhuz swapmeet BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Everything Belly Dance! Welcome to BHUZ - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community » BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community - Welcome to BHUZ!. You can get the latter for a few dollars.
Frankly I would recommend watching dancers perform as well as any instruction from dancers of the country whose style you want follow. There are instrcutional VHS/DVDs by Raqia Hassan (these were very expensive but second hand better) Of course the filming is hardly pristine and they may look dated but you are getting teaching from a top Egyptian teacher. One US teacher who has the reputation for good Egyptian teaching is Shareen El Safy. I don't know wether or not she has updated to DVD? Her delivery is not of the best but the technique:Nice.
I am sure other people can help you out regarding Turkish tuition wither by native dancers or American
For clear tution I did like the basics from IAMED with Paulina and I think these are more reasonable. I also got years ago very cheaply the Neena and Veena DVDS on eBay..not exactly my cup of tea I have to say.somewhat cheesy but solid basics.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I'm with Kashmir.you need to find a teacher and that being said find a good one.

Yep.

A lot of this dance is actually illusion -- movement looks like it's happening one place, but it's actually being generated somewhere else.

I've had a few video-taught students in my classes, and they are the ones who have the HARDEST time with it.

If you aren't terribly serious about it, videos are fine. But videos won't teach you anything about the dancer's relationship to the music. (Except Ranya's, but it's devoted to a specific kind of music, and without a teacher to help you make sense of it, it can be hard to extrapolate that to other kinds of music.)

If you think you might AT ANY TIME want to get serious about it, then don't build up bad habits with videos. Classes in the north are about $10 an hour. $10 a week is easier to find than you might think, even with a baby. I let some of my students pay by the week. Ask about that.

If you're really serious about learning, then no, you will not be able to learn by videos alone. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's the simple fact. (And I'm not just saying this to drum up business for classes!!) LOL.

ababalond

In the mean time if you really have no money and do have internet connection anyway..ask for advice of Youtube tuition from experienced dancers. Otherwise look for second hand good condition DVDs and VHS (if you have the machine) from places like OD and Bhuz swapmeet BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Everything Belly Dance! Welcome to BHUZ - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community » BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community - Welcome to BHUZ!. You can get the latter for a few dollars.
Frankly I would recommend watching dancers perform as well as any instruction from dancers of the country whose style you want follow. There are instrcutional VHS/DVDs by Raqia Hassan (these were very expensive but second hand better) Of course the filming is hardly pristine and they may look dated but you are getting teaching from a top Egyptian teacher. One US teacher who has the reputation for good Egyptian teaching is Shareen El Safy. I don't know wether or not she has updated to DVD? Her delivery is not of the best but the technique:Nice.
I am sure other people can help you out regarding Turkish tuition wither by native dancers or American
For clear tution I did like the basics from IAMED with Paulina and I think these are more reasonable. I also got years ago very cheaply the Neena and Veena DVDS on eBay..not exactly my cup of tea I have to say.somewhat cheesy but solid basics.

oh god Neena and Veena, their Discover Belly Dance was my first DVD set, ever, yes cheese, but what sort? something American? oh I don't know. but like you say good solid basics.

But yeah if and when one can, then yeah find a teacher, keep looking, there may be right under your nose. i've just found a lady who is teaching Egyptian sytle, in my town, I can't believe, little old Stevenage, i means its a chav-topia! and shes been about abit too, in the UK and Egypt, with recognised dancers and musicians. teaches dance at the local college, does classes and seems lovely.

I emailed her last night, I was sooo excited I wanted slap myself across the face from sheer excitement. I'm glad its now, and not 8 months earlier when I started, if she takes me on, which by the look of her site, she should do (fingers crossed), atleast i'll have quite a good background and some experience and knowledge on the matter.

oh its all coming along, going to halfa this saturday to see the vibe, watch students perform, have a boogie myself. found me teacher it looks like, local at that, and teaching the Egyptian style. getting a costume, oh hazaar, this time next year i may be getting down on some hafla stage, maybe get a little job eventually, i'd like go on the gay scene, some pub/bar in soho. but i've digressed now, so i shall be away!

Shanazel

IF (and this may be a big if) there are qualified teachers near you, I encourage you to contact them and learn more about what they offer. And, if you want to take classes but don't have the money -- BARTER! You may have a skill or be able to offer a service they could use. Can you watch their kids? Can you alter their costumes? Clean their house? etc.

Obstacles can be overcome. Just get creative! :)

Regards,

Anala

Oh, heavens to Betsy, yes, I'd trade belly dance lessons for house cleaning any time someone cared to barter one for the other. I cannot tell you how much I hate cleaning the bathroom. I've traded BD lessons for some lovely things.

SafiyaNawaar

barter..

I totally agree with the barter system, I had 3 students that bartered for classes, one altered and made costumes for me, another babysat, and the last exchanged spa treatments, like waxing and pedicures...lol...it was great, except sometimes I needed the money more.

Just find any teachers you might be interested in and ask, it wouldn't hurt. I love teaching, and never pass up the opportunity to help a fellow dance enthusiast.

Pirika Repun

If you think you might AT ANY TIME want to get serious about it, then don't build up bad habits with videos. Classes in the north are about $10 an hour. $10 a week is easier to find than you might think, even with a baby. I let some of my students pay by the week. Ask about that.

$10/ hour! :shok: NOT in NYC!!! :mad: 1 hour is between $15-$20. Yup, the expensive teacher charge $20/hour! :mad: Of course I can't afford for $20/hour, so I don't take these teachers. Usually $20 is for 1.5 hours, and $25 for 2 hours. However, some expensive teachers charge $20/hour, $30/2 hours. So, if you take 1.5 hours class for 3 or 4 times a week, $60-$80/ week x 4 weeks = $240-$320/ month :shok: Yeah many teachers have discount but still very expensive in NYC.... :( No wander I don't have money....

Ariadne

It's less away from the coasts which is why, unless it is $15-$20 a lesson where you live, if you can afford some DVD's you can also afford basic instruction for at least a month. Start with a live teacher first it will make all the difference.

Thanks for all the great information, you all and I know and realize videos will only go so far. *sigh* So I have decided to save some money and try to take at least a few lessons and supplement with video, like others have said and take classes when I can. I found 2 teachers here, Mirah Ammal, at the Al Bahira Dance Theater in Mlps. and I found another where I live in St. Paul. I will probably try the one in St. Paul because its on Saturdays and 4 blocks from my sisters house, so she can watch my son but these ones are more expensive than anyone her I have seen and she is a level 2 dancer teaching beginners, is that bad? Everyone else charges $80 for 8 weeks of classes but the St. Paul one charges $140 for 7 classes! I guess I am stuck trying to pay that because it is more convenient to where I live and the other classes are at night in Minneapolis and a 1hr bus ride. :( Oh well, I haven't decided yet. Ababalond, Thank you for your advice! :) It was very helpful! I decided I really like the Egyptian style of dance very much and hope to learn all I can about it. I learned a little something else, though, today. I felt a little bummed out about classes and told my friend about it, who I just got off the phone with in Egypt, laughed when I told her about having to find a teacher to belly dance and she said why and I told her what people on the forum said and she really laughed! I was puzzled and she said, "I don't know why these Americans say this to you! If you have a mirror and imitate the teacher in the DVD as closely as you can, you can do this! If you feel you are doing something wrong or uncertain, then go to a class or two and ask the teacher to show you but to say you can't learn by DVD is ridiculous. Most women who belly dance here do not learn from teachers! They learn from watching dancers in person and getting a pointer or two from relatives who dance. Actual classes here are unheard of, these are for the foreigners and a way of income for our people here because it is big, big, business! They have 1 or 2 big workshops a year for them and everybody comes from all over the world but you will rarely if ever see us Egyptian women taking these because we do it on our own without these things. Without these foreigners, many dancers would not have jobs but its not the end of the world to not have teacher. Its not a bad thing but you don't have to have teacher." I was kinda surprised by what she said after all what I read in the forum to me. I am sorta relieved but I still kinda want a teacher (for "mommy time") and because I would feel more comfortable having someone I can talk to about what I am doing and it will be more fun learning with other women, too. But if that doesn't work out how I plan, then I will try it the DVD way. Actually, somebody told me that in Morocco too, when I went to visit the in-laws, a few years ago but I never believed them, I thought they were joking.

Nebetmiw

Morocco Goddess your friend in Eygpt is right. BUT for them this is a natural dance to music they grew up with for us it is not. We move different to music here. Just think of disco, street dancing ect. One reason is because of the music, we tend to be more free with movment. We do more couples dancing here than they do in Egypt. We also do not use the same muscles in our dancing since it it much more open. They internerizle movements where we are the oppisite.

Most DVDs I would not try to learn from if I had no classes first. There are a few like Habiba's and Ranya Ranee which you are better off trying that with, if you have not had lessons before. Most others just do not cover the internal or stance enough. Note both of these are egyptian dancers and teach egyptian style.

BTW $140 is awful expensive for that many classes. Your $80.00 for 8 is more normal. But check your local paper in the classified section under events or community or the section where they list community events. They will list classes there at rec centers for much cheaper. Also look under your local yellow pages in your phone book. Many dancers on a local level will not be on the net. This does not mean they are not good just that they have no time or interest in internet or computers. So keep looking and do not worry if you start by DVDs.

Daimona

Everyone else charges $80 for 8 weeks of classes but the St. Paul one charges $140 for 7 classes!

Well.. how many hours/week are the classes?

If it is 2h/week, 7 classes and $140, you pay $10/h.
If it is 1h/week, 8 classes and $80, you pay $10/h.

Check it out and do the math..

And please put in some paragraphs ...