The wonderful Maria Aya performing in London in January?!

Sara

I can't wait for Jewel of Yorkshire, and Christmas!

If anyone gets to go to JEwel oF Yorkshire, Tito and Ava Flemming will be there.

Maria_Aya

OMG !!!!
I just saw this post lol

Well the rummors are true ;)

I plan on dancing 2 or 3 songs from different decades of Greek Tsifteteli.
From 1920, 1960, and 2000 to show the evolution of a dance that is not known, and how historic, musical, cultural things influance a dance.
( a small booklet will be available at the entrance so people read about it before the show (ok small one lol) )

But mainly I just wanna have fun !!!!!

And Anne is a wonderfull organizer and such fun person.

Maria Aya :D

elle21

Ladies, my brain is still swimming - last night I had the greatest pleasure to not only witness some fantastic dancing, but to meet a 'celebrity' of this forum and to learn a great deal in that brief space of time!

Last night was Planet Egypt in London, a monthly bellydance showcase for performers, teachers and students. Alongside the native dancers we had Natalia Trigo of Brazil and our very own Maria Aya of Greece.

It's funny how you can feel you know very well a perfect stranger. And the relationship is fairly one-sided as I read and lurk far more than I actually contribute. And while I look forward to seeing Maria's name and avatar as her comments are usually knowledgeable, witty and often very very funny, I would be surprised if she knew who I was when I launched myself upon her!

Aside from the strange delight of meeting a fellow online bellynut, I was also excited at the prospect of watching Greek bellydance by someone who really knows what she is talking/dancing about. I think the UK is very Egyptian-focused (although AmCab and Tribal is starting to gain ground and prosper), then a bit of Turkish and very very little Greek that I have seen. The closest I have personally seen was a Turkish girl dancing to a Greek song.

And as if that was not enough, each song was to reflect a different era of Greek bellydancing! Entertaining, educational and enlightening, all in one evening's performance!

Maria's first song was from the 1930s and she wore a black galabeya-style dress, with a simple black hipscarf and a golden shawl on her head. Her style was not flambouyant or 'showy' but instead was something I don't believe I've ever seen before but have often heard discussed as the aim of a bellydancer: she was an intense "emotification" of the music, every move had a sense of feeling I didn't know was possible. And she didn't need to "run around" a lot hold the audience's attention, she was truly captivating in her intensity!

Her next performance was from the 1960s and a completely different Maria emerged. This one was more playful I felt than the first. Yet despite the more playful mood, the same intensity was present, as if the emotion and music had combined and possessed her. She moved around the room a lot this time and stopped for a while in front of myself and my friend & you could feel the energy radiating from her as she danced! I was so entranced I couldn't clap or cheer, just gaze hypnotised with a daft grin!

Maria, I learnt so much from watching you! I finally understand what it is to actually let go and FEEL the emotion of the music, not to merely act it. It doesn't look like something you can learn from a thousand classes but to have seen it this once, I genuinely feel inspired.

In short: You ROCK! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aniseteph

I know what you mean about seeing someone get the emotion across 100% - Miriam Aluan got me that way at the last Brighton Orient. Knocks your socks off, doesn't it? :shok: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maria you are on my list of must see dancers! :dance:

Maria_Aya

Awwwwwwwwww thanks Elle :D

Have to say that it really was a great night for me also.
Anne White did a great work on the organizing part, and really enjoyed the back room waiting with the other dancers also. Loved that all of us was total different in style and this was Anne's selection.
The atmosfaire in Darbuka was FANTASTIC, and this is something that always make a dancer better.
Now if my friend that was with me, actually videotaped me, instead of thinking it's gonna be too dark grrrr it would be great, waiting Anne to send me the video (fortunately someone didnt heard her (she said no videotaping, unless have lisence) so i'm gonna have the video ) :D)

The first performance was from a song of the 30's era by Papaioannou, not the original version but the version of 1980. Actually I'm the dancer for the group that did the version of 1980, and Nikos Saragoudas who is now 77 years old and he is the virtuose of the Oud, give me some hard time on stage with his changes on the oud rythms. A very beloved song for me and emotional also to pay respect for his job.
Since greek chifteteli never went to the stage platform, i picked to wear clothes the most near to what normal women were wearing at this time. So it was just a kind of harem pants (popular at Ismir that era), a blouse on it, and a small head scarf.

The second song was the very well known from the greek and the arabic version .
Well "ta mavra matia sou" is the greek version of the arabic song.
It was sung by Manolis Aggelopoulos a greek legend born in 1939 at north Greece, from a gypsy family. From his childhood he was traveling Greece with the Caravan selling from carpets to watermellons lol, and you know the Caravan trucks had a microphone and he was singing selling them.
His big boom was at 1959 where he recorder his first 45 disc (the small ones) and he brought the mix of greek-gypsy-arabian in the greek music scene.
Ta mavra matia sou, is considered the anthem of the greek gypsies and one of the most favorite songs ever for all greeks for greek chifteteli. For greeks and special greek-gypsies he was like a king and a god, if we want to paralel he was the Oum Kalthum of Greece. Even in his funural (around 15 years ago) it was massive and crying for 3 days.

The lyrics are by Maro Bizani.

"Ta maura matia sou"

Mi figis - dont leave
ke pote mi m'arnithis - and never forget me

Ta mavra matia sou- your black eyes
otan ta vlepo me zalizoune - when i see them, i get dizzy
ke tin kardia mu sigklonizoune- and my heart is broken
otan ta vlepo mu thimizoune- when i see them, i'm remembering
kapia agapi mu palia.-of an old love

mesa sta matia sou - inside your eyes
kitazo kini pou agapousa mexri htes - i'm looking her that i loved till yesterday
ekini pou anikse sta stithia mou pliges- her that opened scars in my chest
ta mavra matia sou m'anaboun pirkagies-your black eyes are firing me

Ta mavra matia sou- your black eyes
otan ta vlepo me zalizoune - when i see them, i get dizzy
ke tin kardia mu sigklonizoune- and my heart is broken
otan ta vlepo mu thimizoune- when i see them, i'm remembering
kapia agapi mu palia.-of an old love

With this song wanted to show how Greece being in the same neighbourgh with Turkey and Arab world had influences and this goes both ways ofcourse.

Still in England but with 40 fever (well the difference from Greece at 21 C to 1 C in London, hit me hard) but surerly looking forword for the next time :)

I really loved the Freak Out performance !!!!

Kisses to all :D

Maria Aya

p.s. Elle, maybe you dont post so much over here, but the sweetness that is in your posts exist all over your face and your wonderfull eyes !! not to mention the sexy body and great dance !!!!

Last edited:

Suheir

Yay, Maria! It was wonderful to meet you and see you perform, I agree with everything Elle says. Thanks for all the background info to the songs and performances, the Arab lads next to me were singing along to the second number.

Helen (allergic to the shisha smoke!) xx

Maria_Aya

Hi there Hellen and thanks !!!

Was a great night and enjoyed it!!!

And btw I just lovedddddddddd your hair !!

xoxoox

Maria Aya:)

elle21

Hi Hellen/Suheir, yes I was announced as Ellie. (My name's actually Eleanor and I dance as Eshta, I don't really use Ellie but it gets shortened :rolleyes: :( :confused: ).

I danced to Faddah and was wearing a dark blue 2-piece with silver sparklies, but now I'm really confused, I know it was really loud in there and I know I'm useless with names but I don't remember a Hellen?! :confused: I know I'm going to be really embarrassed when you answer, so I repeat: REALLY bad with names...!

Wow, it was like one big orientaldancer.net group meet! Ok, methinks me doth exaggerate a little, but very exciting nonetheless.

Maria you make me blush :) what a sweet thing to write! Was it Joanne who was filming for you? She's a darling, we're meeting for dinner tomorrow and she's promised to hand over her tape so I can put it onto DVD, guess I get sneak preview! Such a small world after all...

Thank you for posting all the music info. I know Anne read a summary out and you yourself told us a little but it's great to have it 'in writing' which is more reliable than my memory! I know (and love) the arabic version of the 2nd song but didn't know any of its Greek significance.

What a pity you are ill, I wish you better. How long until you can return to the glorious 21 degrees of Greece?! I'm so jealous ;) Please do let us know when you are back in the UK, perhaps end of March for Hossam and Serena's workshops again...? No live band this time but still!

Suheir

Hi Hellen/Suheir, yes I was announced as Ellie. (My name's actually Eleanor and I dance as Eshta, I don't really use Ellie but it gets shortened :rolleyes: :( :confused: ).

I danced to Faddah and was wearing a dark blue 2-piece with silver sparklies, but now I'm really confused, I know it was really loud in there and I know I'm useless with names but I don't remember a Hellen?! :confused: I know I'm going to be really embarrassed when you answer, so I repeat: REALLY bad with names...!

Wow, it was like one big orientaldancer.net group meet! Ok, methinks me doth exaggerate a little, but very exciting nonetheless.

Maria you make me blush :) what a sweet thing to write! Was it Joanne who was filming for you? She's a darling, we're meeting for dinner tomorrow and she's promised to hand over her tape so I can put it onto DVD, guess I get sneak preview! Such a small world after all...

Thank you for posting all the music info. I know Anne read a summary out and you yourself told us a little but it's great to have it 'in writing' which is more reliable than my memory! I know (and love) the arabic version of the 2nd song but didn't know any of its Greek significance.

What a pity you are ill, I wish you better. How long until you can return to the glorious 21 degrees of Greece?! I'm so jealous ;) Please do let us know when you are back in the UK, perhaps end of March for Hossam and Serena's workshops again...? No live band this time but still!

I'm Helen from Melissa's class!

miss_shimmy

sorry I missed you maria,I would have loved to see that,i hope you will come back again,I realy would like to come...