Beached Whale Problem

GypsyStacey

Anyone else have problems in class feeling like a Beached Whale....lol. My teacher was doing her best last night to teach us what she calls 3/4 shimmy. shaking the hips until they feel like they are going to fall off...lol. omg it's not easy. this week i did find it easier than last week that's for sure so i'm sure i'll figure it out, but until them i just kind of feel like a big whale trying to crawl onto the beach ~sigh~

Afrit

Just start slow and build up the speed. If you try full speed from day one your body won't know what to do.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Practice slowly at first at home, do it while washing dishes, do it when the ads are on TV or just when you think about it. But as for feeling like a beached whale, I am sure many of us have been in that position, I know when I first began to dance there were some things I thought I'd never get:D Slowly but surely it all begins to click as your body adjusts and the movements become lodged in muscle memory.
~Mosaic

Sita

Afrit and Mosaic are right, start slow build it up so you body gets familar with the basic movement.

As for feeling like a beach whale in class... well, it happens. This is the place where you learn and are introduced to the movement at the same time as others. Some will get it faster which can lead to dancers comparing each other (sometimes just having a teacher who performs that move which so ease while you struggle can lead to frustration with yourself). But it really is true that we learn at different speeds.

Class is where you will be clumsy and make mistakes, which is how it should be so the teacher can help correct you. Practise at home what you've learnt at your own time and in a secure space (with no one to compare with). Combine the two and eventually you get the right move and level of finesse. The two spaces and situations complement each other.

Sita
BTW 3/4 shimmy was the move I struggled with the most, even though my other shimmies are great and I picked them up quickly. So you're not alone.:D

GypsyStacey

my teacher does have us start slow so that's GOOD...lol. your right about the comparing to each other i actually try to not even look at the other dancers very much. i asked my teacher how best to practice them & she said what y'all are saying do them at home start slow use music with a good beat. you guys are also right class is the place to make mistakes, learn new stuff & pushing myself. i think my other problem is i'm a taller dancer i'm like 5'9" i'm not heavy i'm actually pretty thin, but i just find with the extra height that at times i feel my movements appear more awkard. now that could totally be that i'm still learning about BD & learning moves etc. on a positive note i feel i do beautiful snake arms so that's good...rofl.

maylynn

Don't worry about it too much! I always tell my students that often learning moves for the first time feels SUPER awkward, since you're focusing on muscles that you've probably never thought about before, plus your brain is working like crazy as you're thinking through the movements. That's a lot to do at the same time.

I agree with the others here - take it slow, and I think the real key is relaxing. Get a bit used to the movements so you're concious of what muscles you should be activating and what the movement should look like, then try not to think about it too too much and relax as much as you can. Turns the brain volume down a bit and lets you be more aware of your body movements without creating more tension and confusion. Eventually you'll work it out!

GypsyStacey

maylynn ~ thanks for the 'notes' i do have a tendency to over think things that's for sure. so telling me to relax & not think about it as much is very good advice.

Zumarrad

3/4 shimmies are not ones you generally pick up right away. Don't worry, you will get it in time! I have quite nice 3/4 shimmies, if I do say so myself, and I was a TOTAL FAILURE at them initially.

maylynn

That is funny - Vancouver is my spiritual home. I left Calgary and lived in Vancouver for about 6 years before moving to the UK. When people ask me where I'm from I say Vancouver! It is a great place.

GypsyStacey

That is funny - Vancouver is my spiritual home. I left Calgary and lived in Vancouver for about 6 years before moving to the UK. When people ask me where I'm from I say Vancouver! It is a great place.

yup i still call vancouver my home too, mind you that's where all my family & most of my friends are. i at times feel so out of place here...lol. one day i will get home.