Post Thanks / Like

Default Over first obsticle in practice

I am patting myself on the back. I got over my first hurdle with getting back into dancing. First a little background. I am way out of shape and way over weight. Weight is somewhere around 240 and I am 5'3" hips 55 and chest 50". Oh BTW I have a 30" inseam. So my legs are much longer than torso.

For all of this long winter I have been sitting here at comp doing not much else but some small house work. I do not work outside of house and it is just me and hubby plus animals. So not much house work either. We live in the country where I can not find work due to the economy. It has been a very long winter and I do not like cold weather having grown up in South FL.

Anyway, with the change in weather I have been motavatied to get back to dancing again. Now I have a major obsticle also as I have a rod in my back from scolosis. Which is one reason I choose oriental dance and the egyptian style. My rod is 6" long in upper back so that area does not move. So combine that with inactivity and over weight you have one tuff job to get back into shape.

Well, I am working from my Habiba DVD. Yes ,I have had classes in the past but there are now none near me. For all of this week I have been trying to get threw just the warm ups with out stopping. Today I DID it. On top of that I got threw most of the arms section too. This is major for me as it was a 36 total mins. To many that is not anything but for me it is something.

I have been strectching everyday. One stretch I have started by acceindent is reaching the top of the door with feet flat on the floor. My right side I have no problem my left major problem. I am like an inch short or more there. I can barly touch the bottom of the door frame with my left hand up top. Right hand goes over bottom and half way up to top. Lots of work needed as you can see.

Everydy I see improvemnt. I pratice Chi Kung in the morning and dancing in the evening. Now weather is better I am out walking our property too. We have 5 acres. I am a very laid back person with not alot of motivation. I hope to get back enough that I might compete. That is a far off goal for now. Short term goal is just to get flexible again and be able to workout an hour with out really tiring out. I hope this story helps those that are like me working at home with just DVD and no classes. Baby steps and I am happy to make them.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you getting back into it, as you say baby steps and just push a little harder every couple of days, you will get there!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!

Hey check this out -- might keep you motivated:

Bellydance Quickies

Just a little short email every day. Different focus every day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

woo hoo that's awesome a little more every day & you'll get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. One thing I have noticed is that it does not hurt now to get out of my CRV or hubbys caviler. Nor am I so stiff in the morning. Weekends will be break from pratice as I have too much to do when hubby home here at house. But i will be back at it and keep on working it.

Azyiade thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done on keeping up the motivation! The daily quickies are great for me too, keep me focused on just one thing during my rehearsal. Exercise of any type is good for chronic pain, bellydance is, for me anyway, the best way I can keep flexible and fit! Keep on coming back here for encouragement too, the people on this forum have given me so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You might also find useful

the following link

Home

but i insist that you also try to find a teacher or enter/create a bellydance troup.

You learn more, better and funnier if you are among real people.

Best wishes,

W.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link.

I would do classes if we had any around us but alas there are none. We live in a small town and even the closest city has no belly dance teachers. I would have to drive over 2 hours to get to one. That is not fesiable expect for workshops. Which I plan on taking when that school has them. This kind of dance is not well look on in this bible belt area. Too many conservative babtists here.