Greetings from the far north!

Elin

I have now been lurking here for a little bit, and I feel I should introduce myself. My name's Elin, and I live in Hammerfest, Norway, a place who likes to call itself the northernmost city of the world.

I have been bellydancing since January 2002, and love it. Living where I do, there are no classes for me to attend here, but I used to live in Oslo, the capital, where I attended various classes and workshops. I currently to teach a couple of friends to bellydance, and hope to be able to teach here eventually (when I feel ready), and get more people to bellydance. Time will show...

So, hi. ;)

luvcajun

morning
from the far north...to down south...
love the mix...
happy that you posted...

hoping the learn some new moves today...
my first lesson is today at 3 pm...

happy that you share your learning with others
who want the lessons

luvcajun

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum, glad you have de-lurked:D
<brrrrrr> must be jolly cold where you live, I am such a baby when it comes to cold, just a squeak of cold and I whinge and moan LOL I certainly wouldn't cope with your fair lands temps.

Good luck with your teaching aspirations, I am sure the day will come when you will be ready and the students will come.
~Mosaic

Elin

to the forum, glad you have de-lurked:D

Thanks. :)

<brrrrrr> must be jolly cold where you live, I am such a baby when it comes to cold, just a squeak of cold and I whinge and moan LOL I certainly wouldn't cope with your fair lands temps.

Not so cold, really. The city (or town actually, but don't say that out load here, hehe) is by the ocean, and with the golf stream, it normally has mild winters. I freeze less here than I did while living in Oslo, and Oslo - Hammerfest is about the same distance as Oslo - Rome!

Good luck with your teaching aspirations, I am sure the day will come when you will be ready and the students will come.
~Mosaic

Thanks. If I still lived in Oslo I wouldn't even start thinking about it, there are tons of good teachers there. But here there are people who ask me if I teach bellydancing, as they'd like to try it! (They know that I dance...)

Maria_Aya

Welcome !!!
What style of oriental are you practicing?
I know that in Finland was very popular the Reda style, is it still?

Maria Aya, Greece

Elin

Welcome !!!
What style of oriental are you practicing?
I know that in Finland was very popular the Reda style, is it still?

Maria Aya, Greece

I'm not doing any particular style at the moment. I try to learn as much as I can when I can. No classes for me here, though, so I have to attend when I can. Will attend the 1001 nights Oslo bellydance festival at the end of the month, and will do a few workshops there. :)

As for what's popular in Finland, I have no idea, I live n Norway, not Finland...

onela

My husband has travelled in Northern Europe, when I told him that your post said Hammerfest he thought that was cool (he said the furthest North he's been is Oslo).

As a Canadian I get a lot of "up north" jokes, though, when I lived in England, we were further North geographically than my home in Canada is ;)

Is it cold in Norway? This winter in belly dance class, all I could think is that it was a bit cold to have a bare belly :lol:

Daimona

Is it cold in Norway? This winter in belly dance class, all I could think is that it was a bit cold to have a bare belly :lol:

:lol: I think I can answer this one as well.

I haven't seen many bare bellies yet, but whether it is cold or not depends on where you are and which season it is - and of course what temperatures you are used to. ;)

In winter, the inland are usually much colder than the coastal areas because of the North Atlantic Current raising the air temperature. Compared to other places of similar high latitude, and according to Wikipedia, the small coastal city Brønnøysund, Norway (65°28′N) is 15 °C (27.0 °F) warmer than the January average in Nome, Alaska (64°30′14″N) and 42 °C (75.6 °F) warmer than the January average of Yakutsk, Siberia (62°2′N).
Although, the diurnal temperature variations are larger in the inland valleys and the innermost fjord areas compared to the coastal areas. The warmest temperature ever recorded in Norway is 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in the small inland village Nesbyen (60°34′N). The coldest temperature ever recorded is −51.4 °C (−61 °F) in the inland village Karasjok (69°28′55″N).

Right now, where I am (63°25′47″N), the temperature is app. 6 °C (42.8°F). According to the weather forecast for Hammerfest (70°39′50″N) where Elin lives, the temperature is app. 3.5 °C (38.3°F).

The latitude coordinate for Oslo is 59° 54′ 40″ N and the temperature today is app. 6 °C (42.8°F) as well, according to the weather forecast.

Last edited:

Harry

It's nice to see some Norwegian ladies here. I wish my Norwegian wife (born and raised in Oslo) was more receptive to BD....:(....

Elin

My husband has travelled in Northern Europe, when I told him that your post said Hammerfest he thought that was cool (he said the furthest North he's been is Oslo).

Hehe. Oslo is more than 2000 km south of Hammerfest. ;) I'm an Oslo girl (or at least that what I feel like), moved here in January last year.

Depends on. ;) As Daimona said... But winters here in Hammerfest are, in my opinion, not very cold. The city is by the coast, and due to the Golf stream we have pretty mild winters. But summers aren't very hot... But it depends on season and weather.

And, of course, it's nice and warm inside. ;)

@Harry: Lots of bellydancers in Oslo. ;)

Farasha Hanem

Hi, Elin, welcome to the community!