Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that one of the finalists in our local beauty pagent ( no I don't like 'em) wore glasses. Despite my spoil-sport attitude to such events, they were a bonny group of girls and she looked just as good as the rest of them so with a bit of look, attitudes will change and make eye-wear more accepted in glamourous situations. Mind you for a professional and very energetic dancer, I can't see them becoming acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a hafla not long ago where one of the most fabulous and amazing to watch dancers was wearing glasses. I don't think she was a pro (i think she kicked the ass of some of the pros really), I think she was a student of the teacher, but she was so beautiful to watch. She had gorgeous short curly hair and a kickass six pack and I am so glad she was wearing glasses as I could talk to others about how awesome she was saying "The girl in the red costume and the glasses? She was awesome..."

Wearing glasses did not affect her performance in any way, she was still gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
    For example, telling (not asking or suggesting) a student they will not be wearing their glasses for a performance, even though she needed them to see.
    As someone who is very short sighted (about -7) I used to keep contacts for performance (I cannot wear them for my day job working on computers in air conditioned environments - my eyes get too dry). Now I just take off my glasses at the last moment. In my last show I encouraged my students to do the same but didn't raise a fuss when two decided it was too freaky.

Post Thanks / Like

In regard to taking off glasses just before dancing. If its in a situation where you can place those small christmas lights around the edge of the dancing area, that can help folks know where the "stage" area is even if their sight is bad. It provides a little extra safety.
    The lights can easily be taped to the floor or edge of the stage and removed at the end.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say it might be a problem to be spec-less in a group dance, but maybe there would be benefits - you would be forced to rely on knowing what you are doing, not copying anyone else!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I was going to say it might be a problem to be spec-less in a group dance, but maybe there would be benefits - you would be forced to rely on knowing what you are doing, not copying anyone else!
    Yes, except that depending on how blind you are, it can affect depth perception and balance to be without your glassess. I perform with glasses in a student troupe that is the closest to a semi-pro group our community has to offer. Nobody has ever complained and it gives me an excuse to never learn to apply false eyelashes!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so short sighted I get state-subsidised eye tests for being Special. Yes, balance would be an issue for me (no change there then...) but the reason I thought about it was that our teacher had us all practising a section with tricky timing with our eyes shut - to make us really listen to the music rather than getting distracted watching ourselves in the mirror, or cueing off each other. We were much more in time eyes shut (well, she said we were... ).

It was an interesting exercise and it did make me think about practicing more like that. I wonder if the lack of visual cues would force my body to learn to feel the balance internally more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I'm so short sighted I get state-subsidised eye tests for being Special. Yes, balance would be an issue for me (no change there then...) but the reason I thought about it was that our teacher had us all practising a section with tricky timing with our eyes shut - to make us really listen to the music rather than getting distracted watching ourselves in the mirror, or cueing off each other. We were much more in time eyes shut (well, she said we were... ).

It was an interesting exercise and it did make me think about practicing more like that. I wonder if the lack of visual cues would force my body to learn to feel the balance internally more.
    Interesting, I must try that. Sometimes I think I throw myself off by looking in the mirror or catching out of the corner of my eye what someone else is doing, especially when learning a new Choreography.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Interesting, I must try that. Sometimes I think I throw myself off by looking in the mirror or catching out of the corner of my eye what someone else is doing, especially when learning a new Choreography.
    ~Mosaic
    I know I am very lazy with new choreographies and have to make an active effort to think for myself and not just copy. (especially fellow class members - sometimes they are going wrong ).

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting to debate whether or not one should wear glasses or not for performing, but my point was just that this teacher was so domineering that she ruined my experience.
    This was just one example of the way she was in class. It felt more like her interpretation than like an actual learning environment.
    Large outdoor performances are nerve racking for most students, wouldn't you rather be asked than ordered in this situation?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast