Talk to me about eyebrow waxing...

maria_harlequin

I'm not new to waxing. I get my legs waxed and Brazilians done regularly but I've never had my eyebrows waxed! My eyebrows aren't "normal" as in the hair grows long and curls and I'm afraid that if I wax an area, I might get bald patches in other places because the hairs are so long and they "fill in" the other areas.

Any thoughts? There's an Anastasia of Hollywood eyebrow waxing salon at a mall here and I might try it out. And grrrr...I can't even call and make an appointment because of the protests...the malls are all closed.

adiemus

I have what some people call 'strong eyebrows' and yes, they meet in the middle (when unpruned!).
I love waxing, could not do without it, after years in my teens trying to tweeze the darned things.
The way I do it involves only waxing underneath the eyebrow, not on top, and I got it done professionally first before I went on to do it myself.
Provided you have a professional do it, you should be fine with your first one - and it takes a long time before the hairs get weak enough not to regrow, so even if you don't like it you'll find they will come back (sigh). And you can fill any gaps in if you do end up with them with eyebrow pencil, but unless they're really sparse you'll probably be fine.

dreamthief666

i always get mine waxed as i'm far to cowerdly to pluck, but get my friend whos a beautician to do it, they look so neat after and its quick :lol:

GypsyStacey

i don't just get my eyebrows waxed she then has to trim them with scissors...lol. that's how long they get & crazy eyebrows i have. i've never had a problem with bald patches. mind you i don't like a really skinny over shaped waxed eyebrow. think a LESS bushy brook shields. so for your first time maybe ask them to keep them a little fuller until you are comfortable you are not going to have bald spots...lol. next time you can always ask them to shape them more.

Jujube

Mine are wild and woolly when not taken care of with vengeance. I wax, pluck, trim, and sometimes even bleach them. They're wiry and long and sometimes curl a little. I used to get them waxed by a pro but I started using Sally Hansen's no-heat cold wax strips, which I find cheapest at Target. They're really easy to use and much cheaper than getting it done by a pro (since mine grow like mad).

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I have the same problem. I try to do it myself cause I have yet to find someone who can do them right for me. My problem is that they are thin and being long and curly it looks like they are thick. However when they are waxed like normal brows I end up with two seperate brows over my left eye. There is actualy a section that has no eyebrow hairs but is covered by longer ones on the top. soo..when those are removed EPP! not a nice picture at all.

All I can say is talk to the person before you let them touch your eyebrows. Explain to them what you want. Also it will help to ask if they have experiences working with eyebrows like these because they don't play like normal straigh ones do.

tjayedances

I have very thick bushy eyebrows and prefer to have them waxed, it lasts longer than plucking them almost everyday . My hairdresser waxes mine, she does the top, bottom and the middle, then she uses tweezers and sometimes has to trim with scissors. I'v never had bald spots. I would have the waxer start off thicker than you want, then if you are happy, you can go back later.

amy.an8

eyebrow threading

I get my eyebrows threaded - it gives a much nicer line than waxing.
I have very heavy brows as well as some long hairs and love this method.
It is, as far as I know, an Indian and Middle Eastern method of shaping eyebrows and removing facial hair (upper lip, chin, etc).
You can look it up online.
amy

maria_harlequin

I get my eyebrows threaded - it gives a much nicer line than waxing.
I have very heavy brows as well as some long hairs and love this method.
It is, as far as I know, an Indian and Middle Eastern method of shaping eyebrows and removing facial hair (upper lip, chin, etc).
You can look it up online.
amy

Threading is available here and I've had some friends done it but it's more convenient for me to get a wax...but I'll definitely look into it :)

Farasha Hanem

I wouldn't necessarily use the wax to shape my brows, I would just use it to clean up the area right underneath the brows. It's too hard to use wax as an actual brow shaper. Before applying the wax, brush your brows up, using just a light touch of hair gel so long hairs from above don't get caught in the wax. Then you can shape them with tweezers. :)

GypsyStacey

i wax about every 5 - 6 weeks & can still pluck stray hairs every day & i do...lol. that's how fast mine grow. i like the waxing for me just because if gives me a nice shap to then maintain with my daily plucking.

maria_harlequin

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I'll go in for a consult as soon as the protests are over and my city isn't under hostage anymore.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.