Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Priorities - What is most important?

Hey everyone!

I would like to hear your opinion on what you give the highest priority in belly dancing. Make a list of the five most important things e.g. lessons, workshops, costume, music, knowledge on BD-history, knowledge on ME music and lyrics, health, performances etc... I would also like hear your reasons
    If you want to, you can also write what you think is definitely not worth spending money on.

I know it is hard to list them, but I have difficulties spending my very few money right. Besides that I think that it would be fun to read what other think is important and why.

I couldn't find another thread with this subject, but the forum is so large, so I'm sorry if I am repeating someone else.

I am looking forward to hear your answers !

Post Thanks / Like

If I were a cash-strapped beginner I'd prefer to spend £15 on 3 lessons than a DVD and save up for music not practise-wear.
    If you already have access to the internet you can nodoubt get music on download and watch youtube. Lessons with a good teacher at workshops if you cannot get local weekly lessons.

Post Thanks / Like

My top five in no particular order:

Lessons - to teach me how to do it in the first place and give me a starting point to explore everything else from. I'd find beginning with DVD very frustrating because I want the feedback that I'm doing it right.

Workshops - for aspects I'm especially interested in that we don't have the time/inclination to focus on in class, for new angles on what I've been learning, and for trying out new things. It didn't matter as much when I was a beginner, but it's a priority now.

Music - you can't really belly dance without a feel for the music, and these days it isn't hard to start exploring.

Research - hanging out here and finding things to think about, and going to events and shows. It covers music/lyrics/costuming/history/styles... I find it all interesting and useful can't really pick them apart. Sometimes I think I should make an effort to de-prioritise it, but I've learnt so much here.

Performance opportunities - this is just me, but I like to have that focus, something to work towards.

Things to not spend money on... . You don't need fancy practice gear (loads of impractical hipscarves, for example ), costumes that you are never going to wear or that are such cheap tat that they fall apart in no time. And you don't need to rush into buying DVD's that turn out to be not your style at all. I'm sure there are more.

Post Thanks / Like

Want

1. Cultural Information books/articles
    2. Private Lessons with top teachers
    3. Music Information
    4. Authentic Performance/Instructional videos
    5. My own 20 piece BD orchestra (I can dream)

Do not want

1. American BD (AmerOriental, Tribal/Fusion etc.) information
    2. Lessons with bad/novice instructors
    3. Workshops in subjects or instructiors I'm not interested in
    4. Beginner/American/plain bad BD videos
    5. UBDCs

Post Thanks / Like

It is so difficult to put them in order but I think the most important things for me are

-good classes (constructive, honest, ambitious)
    -music that makes you inspired, because I believe that the dance begins with and cannot exist without the music.
    -watching the really good pros perform LIVE, especially the egyptian stars. I feel this is important to get a feel for what you want to expess as a performer. To see with your own eyes their emotions choice of music and costuming, feel their energy, see their technique, use of space etc.
    -workshops with a for you interesting teacher and angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Passion
    Practice
    Patience
    Perseverance
    Ptraining

Post Thanks / Like

1: Lessons from knowledgable, trained teachers in how to dance
    After all you are learning to dance - but you need to learn from good people right from day one. That cheap class from teh student who did a couple of classes will need to be unlearnt later.

2: Lessons from knowledgable people on Middle Eastern culture - the language, gestures, music, history.
    Otherwise you are learning danc e- but not belly dance - which is rooted in the culture. Otherwise, find a good jazz school.

3: Workshops
    You need to be exposed to a wide range of material from a range of people. Workshops are a good way of getting this.

4: Buy (Middle Eastern) music - and listen to it.

5: Get a full physical assessment by a good sports physio. Your body is your instrument and you need it in top shape. A good physio can spot your weaknesses and give you a program that suits your body to improve flexibility, strength and control.

Do not spend money on practice gear, limit your spend on costumes (unless you have already reached the pro stage) and DVDs unless you have already had a lot of live instruction. If your goal is to learn belly dance especially don't go out buying DVDs on Indian dance or ATS or fusion. (Obviously if these are the types of dance you want to learn, that is quite different)

Post Thanks / Like

When money is tight, my priorities would be:

1. If you have a good teacher, keep taking regular classes.

2. Get some music recommendations from your teacher and buy it. Use ITunes to buy exactly what you need/like so you don't waste your money on stuff that isn't suitable or you cannot use for practice.

3. Listen to the music! Turn the tv/radio off and play the CD!

4. Keep practising (don't waste that expensive music/tuition)

5. If you can find the money to attend a workshop locally, do so. Workshops broaden your oriental dance horizons.

Don't spend your money on:
    1. Practice gear in lots of different colours, unless you visit charity/thrift shops!
    2. CD's you cannot hear before buying, you'll end up with some white elephants.

oh and I just thought: keep paying your broadband suscription so you can read the chat boards and do internet research into oriental dance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My highest priority would be to find a top notch teacher who besides having the technical and performance skills also knows how to share that knowledge with you... a teacher that is enthusiastic and upbeat and that leaves you with the feeling that you just can't wait till the next class... a teacher that makes you want to go home and Practise Practise Practise so the next lesson you can show her how much you've improved... a teacher you enjoy taking lessons from and that is an inspiration... once you have that everything else (workshops, lessons, music, DVD's,) is gravy...

Post Thanks / Like

Weekly dance lessons.
    Workshop dance lessons.
    Watching good belly dancers - either live or on full length DVDs - not YouTube
    Music
    Trip to Egypt - or workshop culture stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast