Hello

~Leila

.....Hello.

I love Bellydancing but live in a very Indian area of England so there really isn't anyone that I can talk to as they either don't approve or find Shakira the best bellydancer in the world. (No offence to Shakira lovers, I like some of her older songs but......just no.)

I can't really remember when I was first introduced to Bellydance, initially it was my Great-Grandmother that was the one who lived in Egypt then Lebanon and she was the one who 'picked up' the dance. After that, i think it's just kind of trickled down in to my family. My family are all dancers in one way or another. Not all of them Bellydance though. My family are Indian and we all do alot of Classical Indian Dancing, plus some good old fashioned Bhangra, but I have always loved Bellydancing. I find a kind of 'freeness' in it. I think it's the way my Mother used to dance, I'd see her feel so liberated and it used to make me feel inspired.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, i do that more often then i should.

But yeah, Hello.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Leila. How wonderful to have a family of dancers around you, must be a lot of fun at your place when you get together for family gatherings and celebrations.
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

Hi, Leila, so nice to meet you. :) I love bellydancing, too, but I also adore classical Indian, Bhangra, and Bollywood. In fact, our class is working on a Bollywood number right now that we learned in a workshop last fall---soooo much fun! :D

When I find a new love (as in hobby or interest), I tend to jump into things wholeheartedly. When I got into bellydance, it wasn't just the dance that I wanted to learn about, it was also the food, the customs, the language, the food, the history, the food, the people, the art, the food...lol! :D But yeah, for me, the cultures behind the various dances enrich my appreciation, knowledge, and love for what I do. :) So I am anxious for us to share our unique experiences with one another. :)

I look forward to your posts, and to get to know you better! :D

AdinaD

Hello Leila!

I agree with mosaic, i think it's amazing that you have a family of dancers i'm the only one who's really into any form of dancing that involves a tutorial in my home lol. I'm a bit envious of you hmmm!:think:

~Leila

I agree with mosaic, i think it's amazing that you have a family of dancers i'm the only one who's really into any form of dancing that involves a tutorial in my home lol. I'm a bit envious of you hmmm!:think:

Thank you =]
It's not always fun, we all live in the same house, me, my mother and aunties and their daughters and my grandmother, so theres always pressure to like dancing and nothing else =/

Being the only one in the family or in my surroundings would make me more motivated, at school nobody really cares or wants to know about Bellydancing, they think it's improper and we get shunned from our community alot. But all of this makes me more passionate when i'm dancing.