Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ababalond View Post
    gosh theres a numbers of things, the hardest, when i very first got started was moving steps, any moving step, stationary i was ok, but once i started to move, uh!

i've noticed the 3/4 ahimmies been mentioned twice, i think as it has rather much techique involved within one step, it was a tricky one but still not as hard as learning isolations with the moving steps. the camel walk that was the most frustrating for me.
    oh yeah the camel walk i can do it it's not perfect, but feels more comfortable than the 3/4 shimmies did. i'm like you once i start moving then my body doesn't 'get it' as much...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting I find the 3/4 shimmy easy. I learned that it is a timing shimmy done with any shimmy. Shimmy for 123 then puse on 4. Seems some teachers taught it as a certain shimmy.

I used to be able to do undulations but this time around I am putting them off. Another question related. How long to your body learnt the move?

Post Thanks / Like

Hip drops without tending to do a plie with the other leg
    Figure 8's when turning (hard to complete the second part of the 8)
    Periodically I fail at any shimmy walk
    For ages I couldn't get a hip circle while turning
    Belly pops and belly flutters (probably because I don't like the look of flutters anyway!)
    NOT doing the 'ballet arms' thing when dancing beledi
    ...where do I stop?!

My body is not so bad at learning the movement, it's when my brain turns to fudge OR when I over-think that things turn to custard.
    I find I need to watch the movement done well, then break it down, then copy one part at a time, then put it together and drill slowly and gradually speed up before it 'takes' in my body. For me, it's so much about watching how it's done - so DVD and being able to use the pause & rewind buttons help. It's also vital to have a teacher watch and correct once I start doing it because if I learn the wrong movement 'feel' then it's really hard to correct it.

Post Thanks / Like

Stationary full body undulations (I'm an amcab dancer, after all )

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know what it's called, but it's a very popular move for Egyptian style dancers: where they shimmy by walking on their toes really fast. So the shimmy is not coming from knees like they normally do but from the feet. The shimmy looks great, but you should see the feet, because it looks funny.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always called that the Tinkerbell Trot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    I don't even know what it's called, but it's a very popular move for Egyptian style dancers: where they shimmy by walking on their toes really fast. So the shimmy is not coming from knees like they normally do but from the feet. The shimmy looks great, but you should see the feet, because it looks funny.
    Choo-Choo Shimmy?

Traveling shimmies were really hard for me, although they're easier now than they were. Still having trouble layering shimmies with mayas and figure 8's. My choo-choo and 3/4 shimmies are okay, although there's always room for improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Still have trouble with rocking forward slightly onto the toes & back into the heels so that only the the pelvis moves and that is layered with a shimmy at the same time.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Shimmies/shivers whatever you wish to call them. Still can't get them after nearly 7 years so I try and avoid doing them! Teacher always sneaks a few into a routine every now and then and I just feel myself going....oh no!!!

Post Thanks / Like

in a sick way this thread makes me feel better knowing that even others that have been dancing longer than i still have troubles with some moves.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast