Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    I did bellycircles once - didn't dance with them though.
    I just tried this and I can do it

Post Thanks / Like

ahaha what is it with thoes 3/4 shimmies?!
    I think its just you see...or when i watched my teacher.... i tried to mimic what i saw and it looked absolutley insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane, she then explained how to use your obliques and pulls and use your muscles...then i got it

thats the thing about belly dance there is a lot of "invisible" work going on, you cant see what your teachers muscles are doing ...

now my new challenge is a Turkish Drop, and a belly roll up, I can roll down but for some reason the roll up is just not doing it.

p.s.
    I 3/4 shimmy around my office once you get it it wont stop

Post Thanks / Like

Elegant arms. My right arm looks much stiffer than my left arm and I can't really "feel" that it's happening so I can't seem to change it. In 4 years I didn't see any progress

Post Thanks / Like

oh that was my other toughie- arms, getting them to look fluid and not forced

Post Thanks / Like

When I was first learning, I had a really hard time for the first six months or more with not just camel walk but any kind of undulation move. For "really hard time," you can substitute "couldn't figure out how to make my body do anything even remotely like that at all." It was very frustrating because until I started trying to learn this, I never had trouble getting any other move -- I was starting to convince myself that I was some kind of prodigy.

But this story did have a happy ending. One night I was hanging out at the home of some musician friends (not ME music, more sorta jazz) waiting for them to finish practicing before we went out to eat. I started doodling around with some moves while they were playing some slow stuff, and all of a sudden I had this flash of insight -- I'm doin' it!

It was one of those blissful moments that make you realize that not being able to do something at first doesn't mean you're never going to be able to do it. Just keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    When I was first learning, I had a really hard time for the first six months or more with not just camel walk but any kind of undulation move. For "really hard time," you can substitute "couldn't figure out how to make my body do anything even remotely like that at all." It was very frustrating because until I started trying to learn this, I never had trouble getting any other move -- I was starting to convince myself that I was some kind of prodigy.

But this story did have a happy ending. One night I was hanging out at the home of some musician friends (not ME music, more sorta jazz) waiting for them to finish practicing before we went out to eat. I started doodling around with some moves while they were playing some slow stuff, and all of a sudden I had this flash of insight -- I'm doin' it!

It was one of those blissful moments that make you realize that not being able to do something at first doesn't mean you're never going to be able to do it. Just keep trying.
    It's amazing how that happens, isn't it? You struggle for MONTHS and people explain it to you over and over and over again and you just can't get it and then one day when you're not really concentrating it happens!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default belly flutter

I find it really difficult to do this - I'm getting better, but it's really slow progress...

Oh well, patience is a virtue!

More generally, I'm also trying to be more of a "performer" if you know what I mean. Sometimes I'm so nervous I don't always think about how I'm executing the moves, so I end up not doing them as nicely as I do in rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Roll  Eyes

the Maya thing definitely got me at first.... the "fish" and "hook" movements (my instructor has a wonderful way of explaining things ).... I remember working on it obsessively, because when my instructor does it, it's the most gorgeous thing!! I'm still nowhere near mastering it, but I think I've got the hang of it at least

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Rose View Post
    the Maya thing definitely got me at first.... the "fish" and "hook" movements (my instructor has a wonderful way of explaining things ).... I remember working on it obsessively, because when my instructor does it, it's the most gorgeous thing!! I'm still nowhere near mastering it, but I think I've got the hang of it at least
    Mayas are one of thoes wierd moves, that teachers make look effortless, you kow, then just move it like liquid. one thing that helped me is Suhaila's explaining, up, out, down, in, to get the nice drop use your knees.
    i hope that helps- its just one of thoes moves, i worked on it forever, and looked like a clown for a while, then one day I got it, my teacher adores it on me and now my "name" in classes is "Maya" haha

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast