Overseas belly jobs scam or real?

mickeyxena

Hi guys

I am a bellydancer. I have been recieving many job offers from overseas lately.

Also if the company asks you to send a photocopy of your passport is it safe?

what should i look out for?

I love dancing guys, but then im afraid of prostituition rings and all other scary stuff. I want to make sure the place i get is safe.

Help sisters!

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I don't know much about overseas jobs, but would be very cautious. What countries are the offers from? Maybe if you give some info on those people who have worked in or live in those areas can give you more info.

Even trying to contact the embassies of the countries may give you more idea on safety as well.
~Mosaic

mickeyxena

hmm

The offers are from Colombo, Dubai and China.
The china one claims to be a 5 star hotel in guandong province. It is called OYC hotel. There are no contracts mailed to me yet.

Colombo one is a lebanese restuarant called Habibi
The colombo one seems to be the only genuine one. I have read articles and seen photos of them.

Dubai one is a talent agency. But i have very little information on this one
MediaExodus. Thats all i have.

My friend in Saudi (An American) told me to check if i have a roundtrip air ticket, and to check with the embassy on the visas. Is there anything else i should check. The one that asked for a photocopy of the passport is the colombo one.

Amulya

I have never taken any oversees opportunities simply because I don't trust them. And they don't pay enough to be able to bring someone with you, which is something that is needed.

mickeyxena

Anyone here did overseas contracts before?

Okay guys
Anyone here who bellydanced outside their country?
What documents did you guys ask from the bosses? (Contracts, roundtrip air ticket, visas)
Do you guys sign the contracts before leaving home, or you sign when you reach there?
Please dont mind my noob questions, im just paranoid.

jenc

I would be very wary of sending photocopy of passport, particularly in early stages.

nightdancer

If you are a good enough dancer to be "recieving many offers from overseas", you need an agent and a lawyer, plain and simple. You're asking advice on legality and safety from a bunch of people you've never met, and for all you know, those prostitution rings have plants in places like this, just waiting to answer these types of questions. (Seriously, this same thing happened on a dog forum I'm on.)

You need a US based agent who understands international business and a lawyer. Not your family-law lawyer thats on every street in America, but an entertainment lawyer.

Business is business and safety is safety. You have to mix the two wisely.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
NEVER send ANYONE a copy of your passport!!! At this point right now they have no need to have a copy of your passport. Actually I don't see why they ever would. People use the information on it to make fraudulent ones and even possibly steal your identity.

The only people who ever need to see your passport are border patrol/gate entry personal, airport custom agents, and any other government official in a position to look at it.

I agree with Nightdancer. All the professional dancers I know have their own agent and lawyers who do their bookings for them. If you are seriously considering this you need to at least get an international lawyer for help with legality issues for both the country you live in and the one you will be going to.

Last edited: