contemplating oriental dancing/belly dancing

BecksyJ

Hi I'm Beckie, a 32 year old woman from Lincolnshire, England, UK.

I have holidayed in Egypt and Turkey previously, and watched fascinated at the belly dancers, and now I feel that I want to give it a go.

I already dance in my spare time (I have studied ballroom, latin american, and modern sequence for the last two years) but I have never attempted belly dancing, so this will be totally new to me.

I have just located a beginners class in Lincoln, but it started last week, so I have emailed to see if I need to wait for the next term or if I can join now. I am actually quite nervous as I normally do most things with my husband (he is my dance partner for latin american/ballroom/sequence) where as with this time I will be doing it alone. My husband is very supportive an dthinks it will do me a lot of good for my confidence levels.

How easy is it to make friends at lessons? What should I expect of my first lesson? I have so many questions!

Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Beckie

Farasha Hanem

Hello, BecksyJ, and welcome to the forum!
You must be so excited to start taking classes! :D Newbie jitters are normal, but especially if you're used to doing your favorite activities with your husband. He can still support you, even if he doesn't take classes himself. Perhaps he can do things like watch performance and instructional DVD's, help you find music, workshops, etc. If he's musically inclined, maybe he could learn to play an Arabic instrument, like the doumbek. Then he could play for your class, and you would have a live drummer!
Wouldn't that be awesome! :D

Also, depending upon your teacher and how the studio is run, some bellydance classes do accept male students, just depends on individual teachers and studios. Some classes are even taught by male teachers, like Tarik Sultan, for example. One thing you will learn quickly here on this forum is that bellydance is a cultural dance, performed men, women, and children. I don't know that your husband would be interested in learning bellydance along with you, but I thought I'd throw it out there, just in case he might be, and since you both enjoy doing things together. If so, we can guide you to links and threads that talk about the cultural background of the dance, and we have a whole section of the forum dedicated to male dancers. :)

Of course, how much your hubby gets involved is between the two of you. Even if he doesn't get physically involved himself, I'm sure he will still support you. As for making friends, that shouldn't be too hard. :) My grandmother always taught me, "If you want to have friends, you have to be a friend." Just be warm, open, and friendly, and most important, be yourself. :) We all wish you the best on your newfound journey! *hugs*

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Beckie! Nice to have you join us here :D

If the class only began last week I don't see a problem in joining them a little late. That is , of course, completely up to the teacher, but if this is something you are really urging to try, I think you shouldn't give up without one little extra pleading e-mail :)
I am sure you will catch up in one or two weeks.

Me, I like having it for me and not sharing it so much with my boyfriend. I think it can be very good to have some separate interests in a relationship. He supports me and sometimes comes to see my performances, and endures me talking about dancers and costumes, but it is my own thing.

Making friends... well that depends on the group. Some classes have been very social, going out for dinner together, having video nights etc, and some have been: in, get changed, dance, get changed and go home, no talking.

I have made loads of friends in the dance environment, which I am so happy about, but it took quite some time. I took many classes from different teachers and went to all events possible. Eventually people began to recognize me and know me.
So my advice is: Be visible at events and workshops and be nice and talk to the class-people, if they don't have any initiative about being social then suggest something. Could be anything: do you want to practice this step together with me tonight? Anyone want to grab a coffee or beer after class? I saw that there is a BD performance on saturday, anyone want to go? etc etc. Eating out together after the last class of the term is quite a good thing to suggest too.

I hope you get to start you classes soon and that the people are nice and friendly.
:dance:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum Becksy. Seeing the class has just started the teacher will very likely be happy for you to start now I would think. As for making friends, I believe it is quite easy to build up fun relationships in class, which can and do carry on outside class as people get to know one another. (two of my closest friends I meet in BD class) and the other ladies are fun to be around. Like most friendships they may take a little while to become friendships, but generally quite quickly within class you would find that shared experience time creating a camaraderie. As for the first lesson, each teacher is different, but she/he should take you through a warmup to begin, and teach posture, what steps is taught can vary from class to class, but generally what is taught one week is gone over and added to the next week. I am sure it would be like how you would have been taught in other dance lessons, just without a partner. Belly dance certainly has helped me build up confidence.

Starting anything new seems scary but just go along with an open mind ready to enjoy the experience. :D
~Mosaic

Nebetmiw

Welcome to the forum and to the dance. You will find lots of great gals willing to help you out with all your questions. You will find belly dance a challange for it does not use the same muscles of the other dances you have done. There is alot to learn about belly dance from the moves to the music to the culture. That is what makes it so much fun. Do not be afraid to ask any question no matter hoqw silly it might seem. Also read the back thread here for there is a ton of info.

Have great fun in your first class I am sure you will enjoy it. :dance:

adiemus

Welcome to the forum! This is a fabulous place to ask all your questions, and to find out that we're all a bit obsessed with this wonderful dance form (to varying degrees!).
I too came from partner dancing - because my partner couldn't dance any more - so it's a great way to carry on dancing but not with a partner. It's all about you!

Pleasant dancer

Hi
Welcome to belly dancing! There is a large dance community in Lincolnshire which I'm sure your teacher can tell you about, with lots of things happening. I bet your husband will soon become a belly dance groupie (or perhaps a belly dance widower?!) Check out this website :

Oriental Dancer Home Page

Good luck with your first class!

BecksyJ

Thanks everyone for your lovely warm welcomes.

I heard from my local dance leader and they have two beginners classes - one for absolute beginners which you can join any week, and then one for beginners which you graduate into once you know the very basics.

As I've been off work with tonsillitis and a chest infection Friday and today tonight's a no-no, but I am all set to go to my first lesson next Monday, and I may even of twisted a friends arm to come along.

Hi
Welcome to belly dancing! There is a large dance community in Lincolnshire which I'm sure your teacher can tell you about, with lots of things happening. I bet your husband will soon become a belly dance groupie (or perhaps a belly dance widower?!) Check out this website :

Oriental Dancer Home Page

Good luck with your first class!

Pleasant dancer, thanks for the link: this is the site which I found this forum through, and also details of the class that I will be joining to next Monday. I can't believe just how "big" belly dancing has become here in Lincoln.