Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

In between phone calls and disruptions I worked on the baladi DVD and did the vertical figure 8's and two types of jewels. I found that quite interesting. I like the way she explains the second one. I also worked on the improv using a nice slow piece to see which moves fit together.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to hang my head with shame... this week has been manic and I've been rehearsing for Kashmir's show on May 8 so have only been practicing choreography and my baladi. I'm struggling with really engaging my abs at the moment and my shimmies have fallen to pieces, especially my shimmy walks, so I am trying really hard to just practice them at random moments (makes for some strange looks from my work colleagues!).
    It's inspiring to hear how people are using the DVD's - I'd never really thought of using the improv DVD exercises to practice things from Ranya Renee's baladi, but it's a great idea (working out how to transition from one movement to another).
    Does anyone else have a crisis of confidence right about two weeks before a performance?! I've just watched a recording of my own dancing and it's horrid. What I thought were lovely hip circles and lots of hip lifts look like I'm barely moving... heavy sigh....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is very inspiring to hear how you use the DVDs.. I've been thinking I need to get through the whole DVD at once, but just concentrating on a few moves is actually a very good idea. I feel that I should join in for the challenge, but I know I haven't got the time for it at the moment (and one of my friends have borrowd the DVDs i should've started with).

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    Does anyone else have a crisis of confidence right about two weeks before a performance?!
    *waving a hand* I've had crisis of confidence both before a performance, particularly the last couple of weeks prior to the performance, and even during the performance if I feel haven't prepared well enough. I've felt that I've had so lousy performances the last year that I've hardly performed at all (i.e. just a couple of group performances, no solos) and I've even turned down gigs because of that. Hopefully I haven't been as bad as I've felt and I believe my confidence is rising sloooowly right now (and the last group performance was pure fun). I just need more time to finish some costuming projects and make myself some new choregraphies and consider the latest gig offer I've had.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, I'm holding my breath waiting for Ranya's Beladi DVD to arrive, then I'm in!

Actually while waiting, I could start with another one. The 10 minutes at a time is a good idea, there's a couple on the shelf that looked a bit daunting. But that's probably why they're neatly divided into chapters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teela View Post
    In between phone calls and disruptions I worked on the baladi DVD and did the vertical figure 8's and two types of jewels. I found that quite interesting. I like the way she explains the second one. I also worked on the improv using a nice slow piece to see which moves fit together.
    Hmm, I'm not familiar with different types of jewels. What is different about the second one?

I'm glad this thread has gotten the wheels turning on different ways to use instructional DVDs!

I worked with my Aziza yesterday, more with the half moon pose. It is becoming more natural, and I'm breaking the individual poses out and playing with different ways to incorporate them into turns and movements. Her "poses" aren't static poses but moving combinations that pause in poses--very lovely.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome, im on!
    i have rachel brices DVD
    and dolphinas DVD 10 mins a day, deffo!

i do need some more DVDs thoo,
    i only have 4
    but those to are my fav!
    the other 2are quite boring lool!

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Rachel Brice DVD. Much fun, but didn't manage to practice every day, due to being too busy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123