Minneapolis ???

BigJim

I'll be in the Minneapolis area May19-23 and will have some free time during that period. I'm wondering if there are classes I could drop in on or private lessons I could take while in that city. Any info is appreciated... thanks

da Sage

Toha does private coaching of men and women, and Mirah has also taught men and offers private coaching. I'm sure other teachers would also teach men, but I know these two have done so recently. They are both excellent dancers and teachers.

Toha's page: Mideasterndance.com
Mirah's page: Bellydancer Mirah Ammal, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago, MN, Middle Eastern Dance artist

If you're going to drop into any classes, you might want to call first. I know that certain classes have hijabis who attend, so you might be asked to attend one class rather than another.

Also, classes here normally feature finger cymbals for 10-15 minutes of class, so either bring your own or be prepared to participate with the loaner cymbals provided for use during class. Obviously if you take a private class, you won't have to do cymbals unless you want to.

I hope you enjoy visiting Minneapolis!:):cool:

BigJim

Thanks alot for the info... that will get me started... I don't think that zils will be a problem as I'm very comfortable with them although I'm self taught and might not be playing the same patterns ( that could be exciting). I would certainly phone ahead to see if I could drop in to a class. You used a term I'm not familiar with and am wondering if you could explain it... hijabis ? thanks ever so much for your reply Jim

da Sage

Thanks alot for the info... that will get me started... I don't think that zils will be a problem as I'm very comfortable with them although I'm self taught and might not be playing the same patterns ( that could be exciting). I would certainly phone ahead to see if I could drop in to a class. You used a term I'm not familiar with and am wondering if you could explain it... hijabis ? thanks ever so much for your reply Jim

Some Muslim women wear head coverings (hijabs) for religious reasons, and I've been in classes at the Cassandra school with one or two such hijabis. Religious observance would probably keep them from attending a class with that had a man participating.

But I think I'm overthinking things (as usual). The chance of you wandering into the same class are pretty small, and people need to be responsible for their own choices. ;)

About the zills - you will be told what pattern to zill in, as everyone drills in the same pattern to avoid class chaos. If you are an auditory learner, it shouldn't be that hard to pick up.:cool:

BigJim

Just got back from our trip to Minneapolis. Would like to make a comment on how nice a city it is and how friendly the dancers are there. I used the advice off the forum and managed to get in touch with Mirah Ammal. Had a very good lesson from her and also was lucky enough to see her schools hafla on Sunday night... very impressed with the dancing I saw..... Also was lucky to be able to take a 2 hour technique intensive class from Cassandra on Saturday... was just in the right place at the right time... I found it INTENSIVE.... but hope I didn't look to out of place.... it was fun and the class was friendly.. Thanks Alot... Jim