What workout do you do to compliment your dancing?

Learning_Mum

After two kids and years of inactivity my body is not what it once was.

I find this really frustrating when dancing because my body doesn't do what my mind wants it to!

Anyway, I'm just wondering what other dancers do?

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Are you talking gym training such as cardio and weight lifting, or are you talking about dance practice and drilling?

dreamkitaro

Hi, Well for flexibility and balance, yoga. For firming up body more and coordination, Taebo. Pilates and weight training good for body sculpting. FitTV (not sure if you get it) has a lot of different workouts. Look for ones that hold your interest. good luck. :dance:

GypsyStacey

i walk lots i mean LOTS for my cardio i can't stand the gym. plus i do hand weights at home. key is to do what you like you'll stick with it longer.

Learning_Mum

Thanks for the replies!

Cheart - I mean anything really! Weights, cardio, Pilates, Yoga, drills etc. Whatever you do to help you become a better dancer.

Thanks all!

Learning_Mum

OK, here's another question! How do you fit it all in?! How do you manage to work out, practice, work, kids, cleaning, friends, family, whatever else might be going on in your life?!

Daimona

One key would be good planning (are there things that can be combined?), another key could be not getting stressed (particularly if you are running out of time for your tasks some day - just accept it and do your best, no one can ask more of you than that) and a third key could be to remember to not forget yourself in your life., i.e. do remember to give yourself quality time as well. After all - YOU are the key to giving yourself a good life, which also will affect how you relate to your family, friends and work etc. :)

Shanazel

I walk, ride horseback (great for your balance), and let the housework go to hell.

I've also learned to say NO to unwelcome or inconvenient requests- this one is hard, because of all the times I also have to say NO to things I'd really like to do but don't have time for, like playing with my friends on OD. :lol:

onela

I run (not lately as I am still recovering from a sports injury), cycle to do about half of my short trips (and half of my commute to work), I do a bit of yoga when I think of it, I lift some weights while watching the news in the evening. I also sometimes do Capoeira (talk about a full-body workout!). I think that's about it... I don't have kids, my family lives out of town, my husband does a lot of the housework. I have to do this stuff either before work in the morning, or right after work or it won't get done later in the evening.

Nath

OK, here's another question! How do you fit it all in?! How do you manage to work out, practice, work, kids, cleaning, friends, family, whatever else might be going on in your life?!

I have very full days and the answer is plan. I schedule half an hour into every day for me. That me time is when I drill/work out. I do that every day I don't have a class and I take 1 day off from all that as meX2 day and I read or have a long soak in the bath instead of drilling. But really, planning is the thing.

I too have learned to say no. If it's not on my schedule it's not going to happen (unless it's an emergency) today or tomorrow, but I do try to schedule whatever it is soon (soon for me is within 2 weeks). For the most part I'm pretty successful and I'm still working a full time job on top of everything else.

Farasha Hanem

I walk, ride horseback (great for your balance), and let the housework go to hell.

DAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRNNN!!! Again, I can't rep you. :(

Well, when ya can't rep someone for being wonderful, ya give
:D

I do some of the things that have already been suggested---I use hand weights to strengthen my arms, because my sword weighs over 3 lbs.!
Rachel Brice's instructional videos has a lot of yoga training in them, which helps with my flexibility, and I also do

Last edited:

indrayu

I let the housework go to hell. :clap:

That's the secret to fitting it all in :lol: Oh, a bit of planning helps, as does not stressing when it doesn't all fit. Sometimes a break in a demanding schedule is really what you need.

For non-dancing excercise, I walk, run, swim and cycle in the fresh air and do various yoga-inspired stretches at home. Have recently discovered the benefits of an excercise ball for toning the core muscles and stretching. The inside things often are done incidentally, when there's an opportunity.

All of those things contribute to improved dancing, one way or another.

SidraK

I go to the gym about 3x per week for roughly 45 minutes of cardio and a half-hour or so of weights. Due to my back problems, my cardio equipment of choice tends to be the elliptical (for hill climbing) and the recumbent bike. Weight-wise, I use the machines and do high #s of reps with reasonably heavy weights since I'm looking for tone and endurance as well as strength. Heavy for me is about 45lbs on the bicep curl, but I'm almost at the point I need to up them! I also stretch out and do some planks and/or crunches at home most nights.

I went from being very active in my early 20s to having little to no exercise outside of dance and walking for many years. Put on more than 30 lbs between my late 20s and my early 30s. It took me about a year to get back into a regular routine at the gym, but I've taken off 20lbs in the last 18 months or so. And I can't believe that I'd let myself forget about the joys of an endorphin high!

*My weight regime is probably a bit extreme for general dance fitness. I just like women with muscley arms <swoon>...so why not be one?:D

CottonAnatomy

I've been doing a pilates dvd followed immediately by wii fit yoga and I've noticed some added flexibility as well as muscle control.

Roxanne37

Lots of belly dance! Nia as well and the odd beach run. Pilates is great for a strong core which helps a lot for belly dancers. Most dancers actually recommend Pilates practised in conjunction

Valeria

I do Pilates, which is good for muscle isolation; Yoga, great for strenght and balance; aqua gym, good for overall fitness but kind on the joints and sometimes aerobics for resistance.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm already going to the gym and trying to get weight training in at least 3 times a week. I also do cardio every other day. I have started to take up yoga to help me with my flexibility since I noticed I am lossing that as I strengthen my muscles.

Corylus

I walk the dog. Other than that I just try to do at least an hour of dance a day on the days when I haven't got dance lessons. I'd love to start yoga though, my flexibility is terrible! I have serious flexibility envy over Rachel Brice.