It's Not That Easy!!

starrbursts

Well,
I think I got my lesson taught today that bellydancing really isn't that easy. Today, I received a dvd called The Heartbeat of Belly Dance. I was like, sure, I could do the easy choreograph without any problems. Little did I know that doing the moves is different than doing them fluidly and together. :shok: So, I went through the choreograph and guess what, I wasn't dancing close to Jenna's fluidity and grace. EEK! I Was like, wait a second. This is supposed to be easy!!!
lol
well, I've learned that Bellydance really isn't easy. It takes lots of practice, isolation, grace, and whatnot. I think for a while I thought I could do anything because I have pretty good muscle isolation, but now I'm like, that's just the beginning!!!!

Anyway, I thought I would let everyone know my humbling experience!

Yasmine1962

Hi Starr, It takes alot of courage to share that with the group! And no it's not easy to learn Oriental Dance and all of it's permutations. Many people give up as soon as they realize that they REALLY have to work hard at this art or they add non-Oriental elements that eventully subtract from the dance,because they don't have a firm foundation in Oriental Dance.Focus on building your foundation first and becoming strong and fluid.

Just as you are learning about movement vocabulary you are also learning the beauty of patience, let your body get used to the moves(and music) you already know before launching into another video. I have her video and it's a good one to help dancers understand Drum Solo technique, but she doesn't breakdown the movements used. She demonstates where in the phrase of the music to place the combinations. But if you view Raquay's segment you can gain a greater understanding of drum rhythms.
Keep Dancing
Yasmine

teela

I think alot of folks go through that same enlightenment. When I started, i felt that i could do the moves and do them to music, what more is needed. since then, i've come to the understanding that you need so much more. You need to become one with the moves and the music so that it flows through you. I'm working on that and on getting my weight shifts done properly so I don't stutter or hurry up to get to the next place. My goal now is to flow when I dance be it my improve, choreography or someone elses choreography. I feel like I have a ways to go yet but i'll get there. So will you.
Best of luck

Gia al Qamar

How wonderful to hear! Admitting that you're learning means that you're learning!!! Good for you!
I hear, very often, both from students as well as those in my audiences that 'it looks so easy'...but it's not. Most learn when they start to dance that part of the art of performance is making it look easy!
Even after you've mastered a part of the dance, say, putting individual moves into a fluid choreography, you'll find that the little emotional nuances or layering takes more time to master...there's ALWAYS something new and wonderful to learn no matter how long you've been studying this dance...so...enjoy the journey...we're all on it together!
Gia

Aisha Azar

Not Easy

Dear Starrbursts,
And the challenge and beauty of dance is the more you know, the more you realize that you have to learn! It is a life time process.
I have spent my life going through times when I'm sure I am the worst dancer alive. I often noticed that just after these periods of a sort of "dance depression", I would come out on the other side with some deeper knowledge than I had before, so I have come to recognize these times as "growth spurts", and I work my way through them now, knowing tht I will be a better dancer on some level, when I am through it. I agree witnh Gia, that it is a learning exp[erince that will be of great benefit.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

I'm going through a bit of a dance depression myself right now- hope to heck it is one of those growth spurts, A'isha, instead of one of those "this part of me doesn't work any more and it is permanent" spurts. :(

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Shanazel,
If it does not work the way it used to, that does not mean there is no longer room to grow. For example, I can't do a deep backbend any more, but I believe that my Egyptian posture has improved very much with time. I no longer have the energy to cover so much horizontal space, but have improved greatly in using vertical space. For every young dancer skill that I have lost, there is in its place a mature dancer skill that makes up for that loss. I will bet its the same with you. If not, go and take some classes or a workshop from a f to get a different perspective.
REgards,
A'isha

staranise

ohhh, so now you tell us!

lol.

hello, I'm new here. I've had a few lessons and I think I'm just about coming to the same realisation. but I'm not discouraged, I'm excited! I hope I keep learning this amazing dance till the day I die!

also, periods of self doubt, like your "dance depression" A'isha Azar, are so prevalent within everyone who practices an artform (I've witnessed) and It's so true that when you eventually lift yourself out of them you learn so much. these down periods -must- be essential to a creative process and I think its because they somehow cleanse your mind and then enable you to view your own art less subjectively, and consequently you are encouraged to develop your skills!

does anyone understand or am I on a different planet? lol. that is just pretty much what I have observed from my close friends and my own artistic cycle, and it's late at night here and I'm more inclined to share this with strangers.

thanks for reading, Antonia.

Aisha Azar

Not easy, etc.

Dear Antonia,
I think your observations are right- on!! We must be orbiting the same planet!!
Regards,
A'isha

Well,
I think I got my lesson taught today that bellydancing really isn't that easy. Today, I received a dvd called The Heartbeat of Belly Dance. I was like, sure, I could do the easy choreograph without any problems. Little did I know that doing the moves is different than doing them fluidly and together. :shok: So, I went through the choreograph and guess what, I wasn't dancing close to Jenna's fluidity and grace. EEK! I Was like, wait a second. This is supposed to be easy!!!
lol
well, I've learned that Bellydance really isn't easy. It takes lots of practice, isolation, grace, and whatnot. I think for a while I thought I could do anything because I have pretty good muscle isolation, but now I'm like, that's just the beginning!!!!

Anyway, I thought I would let everyone know my humbling experience!

i know it's not easy...but i keep on dancing and practicing!maybe in a few months i'll do some moves that now seem so difficult...it's just the beginning,yeah! :D

sstacy123

I never really thought it would be easy but what I didn't anticipate when I signed up for classes was my excitement to make me so impatient....I know it will be a lot of work but I'm ready to be good now!!! January when classes start back up seems so far away!

Shanazel

I'm going through a bit of a dance depression myself right now- hope to heck it is one of those growth spurts, A'isha, instead of one of those "this part of me doesn't work any more and it is permanent" spurts. :(

Ha, quoting myself. Shortly after I posted that, I discovered that much of my dance depression was due to coming down with a horrific case of bronchitis and sinus infection. I was pretty down and out for a couple of weeks, and am just now beginning to feel like I will live, though I don't plan on running up any stairs lately. You are right, of course, A'isha, about replacing young dancer skills with mature dancer skills. Thank you for your comments.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I once told my instructor (of 35 years experience) that if I had known how difficult this dance form is, there'd have been NO way I would have become involved with it!

But now, I have no choice but to continue - I love it so.

But you gals talking about being the worst Belly Dancer on the planet: BACK OFF! That there's MY title! :naghty:

miss_shimmy

hi

you know,i agree its not easy,though it does come with practise,faith and devotion.
you will be amazed how soon you will gradually be able to do more and more.
i have heard it said that it can take around 3 years to be completely comfortable/fluid etc,i am still in the early days myself.:)

the best of luck,and thankx for sharing

sparklyraven

Its a good reality check to read these posts. I've been dancing almost 9 years and I still think its not easy at times. Everytime to this day when I learn a choreography, I still stumble around it until it all clicks. Everything has a learning curve. I get down on myself about it sometimes because I know no matter how much I practice I'll never be as good as (insert your name here____________) but I also remember when I first started how my friend who had danced professionally had tried bellydance and said it was the hardest dance form he had tried and was really impressed I was sticking with it. Sometimes I think I peaked already but then it seems new stuff comes out of that thank god.