Lower back pain...?

Adahlia

Ugh, in the past 3 days I've had this nagging pain in my lower back, right above my butt. It feels like it needs to be popped, but it just WON'T. Could I have done this by dancing? Thats the only reason I can think of, even though I always stretch and warm-up before dancing...

What do you think?

Farasha Hanem

Sweetheart, please, please don't try to pop your back! :shok: Your spine is an extremely important part of your body, and can be damaged if something is done the wrong way. I suggest you go see a doctor immediately, and preferably one who specializes in problems of your nature, like a sports doctor. I'm not sure about recommending a chiropractor, because people have different opinions of them. In any case, please seek medical help ASAP. I know it's expensive, especially in today's economy, but your back is worth it.

adiemus

It could be sacro-iliac joint pain - if you've never had pain there before, first step is to take some effective pain relief, something like ibuprofen, and/or paracetamol. Then use appropriate heat or ice depending on which one feels best, pull back a bit on your dancing, but not completely (movement is GOOD for back pain), and then if it doesn't reduce a bit, head to a good doctor or physiotherapist.
Manipulation has some evidence to support its use in the first few days or so, but after that it doesn't do a lot, the things that have the most evidence is what I've written above.

Here are the European Guidelines for ALBP - a bit old, but still the recommendations haven't changed very much at all. I wish you well!

I work in this field, so this is my recommendation (my blog is HealthSkills Weblog)

Learning_Mum

Is it right across your back or just on one side? Does the pain radiate down your leg?

If it's across your back it could be muscle pain. I find if I forget to tuck my pelvis I will get back pain after dancing.

If it's only on one side and radiates down your leg I would guess it could be that you've put your back out and a visit to the chiro would probably be helpful.

Ibuprofen and a hot water bottle always helps my back pain.

adiemus

Just a quick note - backs can't 'go out' - the discs, ligaments, joints and muscles make it a very very strong but flexible part of your body. On the other hand, having back pain is very very common, often not related to any specific event, and most back pain will settle within six weeks or so - but often as not, it'll grumble about for ages, and occasionally flare up again. Having a disc bulge or tear is also very common but unless it is directly impinging on the spinal cord or nerve, although it's painful, it won't cause harm - you'd know if it was impinging because of the neurological changes you'd experience (like bowel and bladder changes, loss of power or sensation). The pain can be really bad, but disc bulges settle down over time (years rather than weeks), and surgery is often unsuccessful. As I said, manipulation may be helpful in the short term, but not if you've had your back pain for a few months.

Harry

Adahlia, I, too, had a nagging, chronic back condition from when I was in my early 'teens, that I simply lived with, even during my 21 years in military service (other than giving me drugs, the military doctors were not able to resolve things). I feel for you, it's downright aggravating, not to mention uncomfortable and ofttimes quite painful.

What Farasha said about finding a sports doctor makes a terrific lot of sense. In my case, it was a chiropractor who was specially qualified as such, but I won't get into the pro/con debate about chiropractors; I'm sure your "regular" doctor (yes, I know that many ladies consider their OB/GYN as their "regular" doctor) can identify qualified sports doctors that may be in your area. And, indeed, ibuprofen, or other OTC anti-inflammatories can provide some relief; follow directions on the container, discuss with your pharmacist if you are not sure. In any case, I agree, don't even try to "pop" it yourself without first getting instructions from a qualified professional on doing it properly. Every situation is different, each requiring unique resolution.

The best of luck. Let us know how things progress towards resolution.