Having a disconnect

GypsyStacey

okay does anyone else have this problem? i feel in my head that my arms have tension. that i move them with purpose, but when i watch myself after i tape myself they look like limp noodles being tossed about. when i'm dancing i try to focus on the muscle to use. so what's with the disconnect. i'm i just deluding myself?

ScarlettDancer

After 7 years of dancing, I have a pretty similar problem. I have a serious problem with the muscles in my upper back and I often wonder if even though it feels like a lot of tension to me, it isn't comparatively.

I am trying to work on upper body strength training to see if this helps.

GypsyStacey

i have toned arms when i do snake arms you can see the muscles defined so for me i don't think that's it. someone suggested i pretend that i'm in molases when i move my arms. i'm going to try that tonight & see how that works for me. i don't know...lol

Jane

Without seeing you dance it's hard to pinpoint what's going on. Are you sure it's your arms and not your wrist or hands that are the issue?

For arms; I don't suggest tension for my students, because it can stiffen them. I say move like you are moving your arms though jello, like you have to cut through an invisible force. Think of your arms beginning from your spine instead of at the shoulder, this helps create support. Also, imagine your arms being a hundred feet long with energy flowing out of your middle finger.

GypsyStacey

Without seeing you dance it's hard to pinpoint what's going on. Are you sure it's your arms and not your wrist or hands that are the issue?

For arms; I don't suggest tension for my students, because it can stiffen them. I say move like you are moving your arms though jello, like you have to cut through an invisible force. Think of your arms beginning from your spine instead of at the shoulder, this helps create support. Also, imagine your arms being a hundred feet long with energy flowing out of your middle finger.

there is a clip of me posted dancing, but that's okay. i actually think it's both my arms & my hands...lol. i already feel like my arms are 100 feet long, but the cutting through jello makes sense. i'm going to try it in class tonight.

Jane

there is a clip of me posted dancing, but that's okay. i actually think it's both my arms & my hands...lol. i already feel like my arms are 100 feet long, but the cutting through jello makes sense. i'm going to try it in class tonight.

Let us know how it goes. Best of luck! :)

Shahrahzad

I think what happens is if there is tension in the upper body (where we usually hold tension - the neck, shoulders, or upper chest) that tension saps the energy on its way out through the arms and causes them to look weak and disconnected from the rest of the body.

I teach that the arms and upper body should be relaxed and resting down on the shoulder blades and the breastbone is soft. Then the chest should be "opened" as if the ribs are floating sideways away from each other. Finally, a soft energy should flow out the fingertips, so that the arms are energized and ready to move.Then, when you begin your arm movements, start from your centre and let the flow move outwards to the fingers.

HTH! ;)

Jujube

My teacher told me to exaggerate the movement. So when I felt like I was doing it right, I took it even further, using the muscles in my arms more. And when I watched it back, what I -felt- was exaggerating was actually right on the money.

GypsyStacey

My teacher told me to exaggerate the movement. So when I felt like I was doing it right, I took it even further, using the muscles in my arms more. And when I watched it back, what I -felt- was exaggerating was actually right on the money.

that's exactly what i'm thinking i'll have to do. along with pretend like i'm moving in jello, purposeful arm movements, start my snake arms from the back of my shoulders it will get there i'm sure.

GypsyStacey

okay picked up some tips on bhuz reading a thread on arms. One lady a teacher says 'air veil' pretend we have a veil on while dancing. i like this idea. there was another about the energry coming from the heart charka.

Moon

Following this with interest. I don't like how my arms move while dancing. In everyday life I like my hands and long fingers, but when dancing my arms look too long and my hands too big to move elegantly.