Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Belly Dance (Penang) by www.RoxyBailamos.com

This kind of competition I find horrific but this is what happens elsewhere. I bet most British dancers might also..does that make us lacking?

YouTube - 2005 Russian Bellydance Competition Part 1

Post Thanks / Like

absolutely....i know that the young dancers i hung with or spoke to at JOY (anna, sab, heather etc) all danced the dance and loved a nice costume but what i noticed from these exceptionally talented younger ladies was they wanted to take their understanding further in other ways such as studying the culture, trips abroad, learning the language. i dont think we have as much of the glamour girls here....i wouldnt want it either...I dont like gimics and drum solos...yes they are good for entertainment and the scene they go with but to me it is not passionate dancing.

I would rather be where we have only a few stars then start producing the glamour girl cabaret emotionless acts

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube - Russian Belly Dance Video 3 - Natalie Strelchenko

This is an example of the tricksy dancing that I don't think appeals to us here. I am not for one minute saying she is not a good dancer..she has some gorgeous moves but the combination of the music, the face veil and costume as a whole and zills just phase me. I am also not against the tricksy performance when entering a competition like BGT as you have to wow a non-BD auidence in a short time but a performance like this one I would find a good interpretation of the art form but is pretty typical of its' kind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post

This kind of competition I find horrific but this is what happens elsewhere. I bet most British dancers might also..does that make us lacking?

That would be a horrible way to have to dance in any competition, it all looks messy, and I just can't see how any one person could be picked to be outstanding or whatever.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    That would be a horrible way to have to dance in any competition, it all looks messy, and I just can't see how any one person could be picked to be outstanding or whatever.
    ~Mosaic
    In the Penang VD they seem to be dancing the same choreography (or their variation of it), at least two dancers were doing identical moves. Does anyone know if this is what they had to do? It reminds me of the ballroom competitions where the couples all dance together and then get weeded out. It might be fine for ballroom, but I don't think the individuality of our dance is done any favours in this type of competition - it all looks rather frantic and confusing.

As for our lady dancer in the OP, I really don't know what to think. Her movements are very strange and I can't put in down to disability, arthritis, age - we had a recent thread here where most of us seem to have something wrong with us that we work around! I wish I could see a VD of her when younger just to compare.

Oh darn it, I just think she can't dance, or has a very strange idea of what the dance is. It's very difficult to be generous here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    I found this: Work, but not as you know it - Jobs & Careers, Lifestyle - Independent.ie (scroll down).

Maybe she is a good teacher, but her performances are way off. If you are teaching you should be able to assess your students objectively, and so have some sort of clue about your own abilities. Sticking these on YouTube is an error of judgement IMO - it's not done her or the image of belly dance any good.

"Just for fun" students keep the whole scene going and probably are what pays for most of the UK-based professionals' fancy costumes. Don't bite the hand that feeds you . But "just for fun" teachers - - not so sure they do belly dance any favours. IMO you owe it to your students to keep learning, and if you don't you should be clear on what you are and are not teaching.

Hear hear. Although that's the belly dance scene - I don't know what the general public want. Glitzy proptasticness and tricks in a slinky exotic costume probably ticks more boxes than Egyptian-style subtlety. I daresay if enough of these teachers get established and get involved with the workshop/event scene they will put their twist on it. (and I reserve the right to resent it just like the belly burlesque thing, so )

Er... a) does competitive/business-minded teachers teacher training course, b) starts teaching and feeds off the pool of funsters, c) sets troupe/agency/school d) competes with teacher for work/students... belly dance will eat itself
    Woops just read the article and found out that she's blind; might explain a few things, but not everything. How does you correct her students? Does she have help? Trying to be generous: I applaud the fact that she is still dancing, not sure about teaching, though.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant dancer View Post
    Woops just read the article and found out that she's blind; might explain a few things, but not everything. How does you correct her students? Does she have help? Trying to be generous: I applaud the fact that she is still dancing, not sure about teaching, though.....
    Yes I wondered when people would pick up on her disability.
    and comment on the impact on her dancing and teaching.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I take it back- her ineptness and her disability are likely closely connected. I watched the video, didn't read the article. Even so, she is inept and I can't imagine how she'd teach dance without being able to see her students and give them feedback on their overall appearance, even if she was competant herself. Hands on (literally) teaching would result in the blind men and the elephant effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    The thought in my head when reading, "Dude! She's blind!"

Yes I wondered when people would pick up on her disability.
    and comment on the impact on her dancing and teaching.
    I don't see how she can teach under that circumstance. How would she see what they're doing? It does put a very different spin on the video though, like who picked out what she wore and has anyone told them to get a shorter wig. Does she even have an instructor that can help her improve, it's not like she could go to a workshop now is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. If that's what it's supposed to be all about you can keep it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast