Turkish Drop

o0oLaylao0o

Halo Ladies!
I was wondering does anyone like to a Turkish Drop in their dances?- (im sure its called something else, you know just like a camel walk is an undulation is a snake walk)

If you dont know what Im refering to
Rachel Brice does it
YouTube - Rachel Brice - Tribal Fusion Belly Dance
1:09-1:15

Im currently a Raq Sharqi dancer but im oooooooozing my way into tribal fusion, I love all belly dance and want to learn everything

Does anyone have tips on the turkish drop
Ive been working on it, should I lead down with my shoulders?. Im noticing its a lot of strength in the thighs to get that drop to graceful and...silent...the last thing you want is a thud-
Any tips?-
Do you do this move?-
Crowd reaction?

Jane

I do it every so often when I perform American Oriental or Turkish; not as much as I did when I was younger, I do them maybe twice a year now. It's not good for your body. It's one of those moves that can seriously hurt you and cause injury over time because it twists the knee joint out of alignment. Are you really sure you want to perform this? It can be very spectacular if done well, but it's a risk you have to be aware of.

I've never heard it called anything but a Turkish drop. I'm in the USA.

Daimona

Do you do this move?-
Crowd reaction?

No. I don't and I never will.
I saw somebody doing it recently at the end of a show. She was probably hoping for the wow-factor, but all she got was "oh no!" and shaking heads from the audience as it didn't fit the rest of the choreography. It was a very misplaced element in her dance.

Azrael

I've done a Turkish drop in a choreo once... it was at the end, I did a spin and then drop to the floor! Crowd loved it! I've never actually seen somebody perform it...

As with EVERY move, there are risks and problems that could happen later if not properly executed. I think that just because it's not done a lot, people immediately label it as a "dangerous" dance move. It's about as dangerous as some floorwork I've seen - those moves where you go back onto the floor slowly - are done in the same position (with the knees) so would surely put strain on the knees too?

As a child, I always sat with my legs in that "arrow" form ^|^ (use your imagination for that illustration... HAHA! :lol: ) and I still sit like that whenever I sit on the floor -- and at 18 I still don't feel any problems. Obviously it's more dangerous the older you get - but then, isn't everything? ;)

o0oLaylao0o

Wow cool stories!
I understand the risk, I mean I think even Rachel Brice says that THIS is the move that kills her, but I'd only do it forTribal Fusion, Im working on my thighs to strenghthen then (haha im always reminded on when i first started belly, and thought *just like oh so many that it was BELLY dancing, not thigh,clute,ab dancing*) I have heavy dance exerience (not with belly but all kinds) and was a former gym/cheerleader girl so im not asssssssssss worried about hurting myself as much as I am getting that slient, graceful, drop...you know instead of a thud, im think the name of the game is muscle control no?

Salome

Administrator
If you have the physical strength, conditioning and flexibility, control/technique, I think it's fine. Really strong legs, strong in the back and core...

onela

I'm fascinated to know how somebody goes about learning to do a Turkish drop- let us know what exercises etc. you do to train up the strength, and how you go about breaking down the move too!

o0oLaylao0o

Haha- yep its not exactly like a shimmy, this is a little more hard to teach-
If you want to start right now, the best excersise to do it, find a rug, carpet, yoga mat [because this will get thoes knees sore] and sit ...like this...
*tehe like the picture?*
2) sit up, backs nice and straight, and then slooooooooooowly arch your back and slowly and controlled walk back
3) when your head is to the ground go back up, now try to do it without your head touching the ground, nice and slow

thats good for training your back and working out your lower back

good luck!

Farasha Hanem

I never do nor have I ever done Turkish drops. I find more original ways to injure myself. ;)

So do I; I work in the electronics department at Wal-Mart. XD :lol:

I do have to confess, though, I've been working on and off on the Turkish drop for about 2 years now. Last night, I found out one of my teachers in ATS class is working on the same move for her solo, too! :lol:

I will agree with everyone else here, though, it's a risky move, so you want to be very, very careful. Be aware of every muscle and joint used to execute the move, continue to do exercises to strengthen your thigh muscles, and make sure to warm up beforehand if you truly insist on using this move. Take care. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
I used to fall like this all the time, during ice skating, when i was a kid. I just remember the pain in my legs (and sometimes the back of my head). It looks impressive but it is not something i would do volunteerily ;)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I was having a 'senior' moment Saw the title and thought Oh Turkish drop - must be about some sort of cough lolly - Ok you may return to the correct subject the fall on the floor one!

Mind you the cough lolly one is the only Turkish drop I am interested in;) The other one well they would have to bring in a stretcher and peel me off the floor!
~Mosaic

onela

I was having a 'senior' moment Saw the title and thought Oh Turkish drop - must be about some sort of cough lolly - Ok you may return to the correct subject the fall on the floor one!

Oh man cough drops that taste like Turkish Delight? That's a million-dollar idea, Mosaic!