Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Performance Angst

I had my first real performance the other week. Despite some last-minute costume panic as I tried to alter a skirt that afternoon, and some "oh shit can I change my mind?" moments, I thought I did pretty well.

We did two pieces - one to a Shakira song, then a group Tribal piece. I was petrified (and looked it, backstage), but had a blast on stage. We were cramped - it was a tiny stage - and at one point my teacher and I clipped hands, making me lose control of my skirt, but that's about all the problems I saw at the time.

Honestly, I thought I did pretty darn good, actually!

I saw the video of it in class tonight. OMG, get my ego off its pedestal and beat it with a thousand veils.

Where to begin ennumerating the problems I saw?

Shakira:
    * Not enough fake tan - my skin glowed like a white LED beacon in a snowstorm (yet my face was so red!)
    * Poor colour positioning - my dark costume all but vanished into Stage Right curtains
    * Cramped, cramped, cramped (ok, so these two weren't my fault)
    * What the hell am I doing with my hands?!?!?!?!?! Up, down, where are they??? (at least they're not claws)
    * No, I'm really not looking at my teacher, but past her, to my man...
    * That frickin' skirt that I kept dropping - GAH!
    * I was smiling!

As for the Tribal...
    * hair in a bun with lots of flowers and sticks really doesn't suit my face shape. When will I learn???
    * I thought I had elegant arms. Apparently not - they're floppy and vile.
    * Timing, timing, timing!
    * My bra strap escaped inwards - I didn't even think it could be seen under my fishnets and top.!

I'm sure there were more, but I was too shocked with what I saw to take in any more.

Tell me everyone is always over-critical of their first performances.... please?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gwinity, congratulations with your first performance. I'm sure you did well despite all your criticism

I had my first performance half a year ago. I thought it went pretty well and the teacher and advanced dancers said so too. A few weeks later I saw the video and I hated it! Omg, I thought I danced so much better then that! It was horrible!

So no, you're definitely not the only one that is over-critical of their first performance

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Gwinity, I am not sure I am offering much comfort by saying that, but it still (after a few years of performing) takes me time to accept the videos (and photos) made of me during performances. Watching them for the first time is such a struggle... But as time goes on, the more I get used to the idea that "hey, that's me there, messing up" and I actually can start correcting myself for the good of the upcoming performances.

Don't worry, I am sure you did just fine, especially as you actually managed smiling throughout the whole performance! And now you know which aspects of your dancing/costuming/etc you will have to pay more attention to. So your next performance will be even better!

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations on your first performance

IMO now that you have seen the performance and you know where you would like to improve its time to put the focus back on the positives.

You did it!

You were also looking at the audience (even if in the general direction of your teacher) and smiling - something I find hard. After my last performance my teacher gently reminded me that the audience was not embedded in the floor at my feet, and my DOH told me sweetly that I look much less homicidal when I smile. The look of intense concentration is obviously not kind to my features

Post Thanks / Like

Default First performance etc

Gwinity, I can imagine how you feel, I don't recall any of that in my case, I started very young at a Burlesque club in South America, I have never danced in a group anyway, I think you have more control of the situation dancing solo,

Post Thanks / Like

Default wow

your first performance-well done!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gwinity, you are SO not alone!
    I hate how I look in photos and video so much that I try to avoid seeing them. I got the pics from the show we did in July - BLEURGH!!! I still haven't had the nerve to watch the DVD.

As I can't get past the OMG do I really look like THAT! thing, IMO you're doing really well to look with a critical and learning eye. Could you have done that performance a year ago? Could your non-bellydance friends do it? You got up there and did it - congratulations, and here's to the next one...

(Hey, just look at the quote in my signature - apt or what?)

Post Thanks / Like

~hugs~ You guys are so sweet!

Thanks for the encouragement and letting me know I'm not alone in the hideous critiquing of the photos/videos, and that it probably wasn't as bad as I think it was!

Mouse, I had to laugh at the homicidal comment, and Aniseteph, that's the sort of pep talk I was given just before we went on stage!

And just thing - I get to do it all again in 2 weeks time. Eep!
    Last edited by gwinity; 11-28-2006 at 01:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations gwinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Gwinity, congrats on your first performance!! It sounds like you did a good job for this one. I can only agree with the others. First time is always a bit difficult but you did it, and by the looks of it it wasn't bad at all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast