when a bellydancer can be defined "famous"?

Gia al Qamar

When her cats stop and ask her for her autograph.
When the dog screams her name every time she passes by.
When glitter follows her in the wind everytime she walks by.
When her own reflection looks like a billboard.
Gia...famous in her own mind...

Babylonia

That's a good question. There's a big difference between being successful and being famous and the two don't always go hand in hand. There are a lot of creative people who are successful and fufilling careers but aren't household names. There are a lot of famous people who aren't very popular. I don't think outside the belly dance world (not including Middle Eastern countries) there are bellydancers who are known by the general public. So, I think for a bellydancer to be able to perform or teach and have the respect of her (or his) peers is a nice place to be. :)

Outi

Lol Gia!

Unluckily I don't have cats or dogs... Must try harder with the two other ones to make up the lack of the two first ones.

Salome

Administrator
One of the sections on OrientalDancer.net is called Star Interviews and, you guessed it, I take interviews with folks in our field who are nationally (United States) or internationally known. To be considered "famous" I think the person must be very widely known in the field. So that's my first determining factor on who I interview, with their body of work and other considerations too...

Outi

One of the sections on OrientalDancer.net is called Star Interviews and, you guessed it, I take interviews with folks in our field who are nationally (United States) or internationally known. To be considered "famous" I think the person must be very widely known in the field. So that's my first determining factor on who I interview, with their body of work and other considerations too...

And to this:
As an European dancer, I don't know even half of the people there is in Stars. So it's really regional. Being famous internationally or continentally is totally different.

Salome

Administrator
As an European dancer, I don't know even half of the people there is in Stars. So it's really regional. Being famous internationally or continentally is totally different.

That's very true, and as I said I consider a person past the "well known" and into the "famous" category when they've become nationally known figures. There are many stars out there, famous in their own countries who I've not heard of before.

Recnadocir

I would say a belly dancer is famous when he is known outside the circle of belly dance proper- by dancers and other performing artists of other styles, by international presenters, and in other countries besides his own.

Of course, I wrote this definition primarily to describe myself- go figure- ha ha ha !

Maria_Aya

Heyyyyyy I'm famous and I'm not a bellydancer with the usual term lol
Actualy I've been given the tittle "Spirit of Bellydance" lol

Now serious...
hmmm I guess many people are "well known" in their countries... and others "well known" from the bellydance community worldwide.. but famous famous like other style dancers example (and drooling) Joakin Cortes... well I cant think of a name in Bellydance.
But heyyyyyy what do we need the fame? since we enjoy what we do?

Maria Aya:D