Another ridiculous job offer

lizaj

Hello Sir/Madam

We are 6 guest coming to your center for Dance Lessons. I want you to get back to me with the total cost of your service for the Lesson for 7 days of our stay/Training.

ARRIVAL DATE: 14 AUGUST 2010

DEPARTURE DATE: 21 AUGUST 2010

Class will start on 15 of August 2010.

Get back to me soon.

Thanks
Louise Looker
65 Walnut St.
New London, OH. 44851

Well Mrs Stupidy...my dance centre..note centre;)is now closed until September for exams and the summer break.
Does anyone get taken in by these w*nkers? Surely someone needs to think up a new scam?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
:lol::lol: Love the name she thought up Louise Looker did she drop the H? You could suggest that seeing it is holiday time you will charge per person 300 pounds per hour, plus a deposit of 1000 pounds paid into your swiss bank account, non refundable, plus expensive gifts required. ;)
~Mosaic

GypsyStacey

Okay I'm having a dunce moment. What exactly are they after? I know it's not dance lessons, but ummm other services nudge nudge wink wink?

Aniseteph

Scam-tastic!

GypsyStacey they are after money. I think this is how it works: they ask for a price for a course of lessons - for several people, or expensive private intensives to make it more tempting and get you to focus on all that lovely loot. They pay up too, you pay the cheque in and think it's cleared... but then oh dear they have to cancel or find they have overpaid in some way. You give them a refund, and then your bank tells you their cheque was stolen or forged or something, so no money for you. Meanwhile they disappear with your refund cheque. :mad:

It is getting really OLD.

Shanazel

Dear Mr/Ms Looker,

I require payment in German Krugerands. Please mail the equivalent of $10,000 American in a plain brown envelope to the following blind post office box. I will arrange the lessons upon receipt of the same.

Very Truly Yours,

Jessica James, owner
Outlaw Belly Dance Emporium

GypsyStacey

Scam-tastic!

GypsyStacey they are after money. I think this is how it works: they ask for a price for a course of lessons - for several people, or expensive private intensives to make it more tempting and get you to focus on all that lovely loot. They pay up too, you pay the cheque in and think it's cleared... but then oh dear they have to cancel or find they have overpaid in some way. You give them a refund, and then your bank tells you their cheque was stolen or forged or something, so no money for you. Meanwhile they disappear with your refund cheque. :mad:

It is getting really OLD.

Well that's better than what my dirty mind was thinking...lol. Yikes scary though. Nasty ppl.

D-Dance

Greeting!

I'm belly dancer from Kiev, Ukraine, and I've received same offer from louiselooker@rocketmail.com. I've found your forum, while searching in google about it. =)

Just wanted to say, that I answered them, and received such reply:

HELLO,

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE I HAVE DISCUSSED WITH MY COLLEAGUES AS REGARD
YOUR OFFER AND PROVISION AND WE HAVE AGREED TO COME. WE ALSO HOPE TO
PROCEED WITH THE PAYMENT IMMEDIATELY IN ORDER TO CONFIRM THE AGREEMENT.
HOWEVER, A CHEQUE OF ($8,100.00) WILL BE ISSUED TO COVER BOTH FOR OUR CAR RENTAL AND OTHER LOGISTICS THAT INCLUDES MEALS, CAMPING AND I AM SURE YOU DO NOT PROVIDE SUCH SERVICES IN YOUR CENTER SO WE ENGAGED THE
SERVICES OF A LOGISTICS AGENCY.

NOW THAT WE'VE AGREED TO COME TO YOUR CENTER, I WILL SEND YOU THE CHEQUE SO AS TO SECURE OUR AGREEMENT FIRST. THIS MEANS THAT WHEN YOU RECEIVE THE CHEQUE,YOU WILL HAVE TO DEDUCT ($ 2,100.00) AS FULL PAYMENT TO SECURE THE SERVICES FOR YOUR SERVICE COST WHILE THE REMAINING ($ 6,000) WILL BE TRANSMITTED TO
THE LOGISTICS AGENCY. I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THEIR CONTACT DETAILS AS SOON AS WE CONCLUDE WITH YOU. HOPE THIS IS UNDERSTOOD?

PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING DATA FOR OUR RECORD.

(1) PAYMENT NAME...............(AS IT WILL APPEAR ON THE CHEQUE)

(2) CONTACT ADDRESS...............(FOR DELIVERY)

(3) PHONE NUMBER.............(FOR DIRECT CONTACT)

I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR CONTACT DETAILS, SO THAT WE CAN BE ABLE TO
SEND THE CHEQUE TO YOU.

HERE IS ALSO OUR FULL NAME'S

Louise Looker

Jane Elise,

Adaobi Okafor

Bella Joy

Tiffany Talton

Lisa Owen

REGARDS AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK.

Louise Looker
Louise Looker
London Tile
65 Walnut St.
New London, OH. 44851

Just curious - maybe there's a way to punish them, if it's a spam?

P.S. Found this company by the same adress
London Tile Co.
65 Walnut Street
New London, OH 44851

MADE-TO-ORDER reproduction clay roofing tiles
here - (Preservation Brief 30: The Preservation and Repair of Historic Clay Tile Roofs)

Kashmir

D-Dance - no maybe - it is a con - they are after your money. Do not bank their cheque - and certainly don't give them the difference in real money! You could try taking it to your police - but I suspect until they steal your money nothing illegal has happened. Once they have it they will disappear.

Aniseteph

There ya go - for wanting that $2100 you will be taken for $6000 and no prizes for guessing who that logistics company will be. Or that the address in the email will never have heard of them.

lizaj

Have the scammers tolen the Tile company's identity . Does the company exist? If they do are they the scammers? If they aren't, should they know what is going on?:think:

Pleasant dancer

Have the scammers tolen the Tile company's identity . Does the company exist? If they do are they the scammers? If they aren't, should they know what is going on?:think:

Most likely to be a front. I've had lots of these and often the postcode given just doesn't exist, so now I've found they give out a real address, just so people have a bit of confidence. They get our names from all sorts of sources to do with dance (not just belly dance) and other dance teachers (ballet etc) also get them. I suppose in all the hundreds (or thousands?) of these they send out some deluded soul with be flattered and give out their details.....:mad:

D-Dance

Thanks for your response! The funny thing is that almost nobody uses cheques in our country =) For the main part it's all about cash, so I believe such theme's don't work here anyway =)

Aniseteph

Do people not have to wait to have the cheque they sent cleared first by the bank?

It explains here: snopes.com: Cashier Check Scam

The banks release the funds to your account within a few days, but it takes longer for the cheque to get back to the originating bank and the forgery to be discovered. Neither bank is going to let you keep this non-existent money just because they already put it in your account. :(

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Strange. Our banks here only let you have 1/2 the money that is on a cheque until it is fully cashed. Then again I would never refund anyone until I knew their cheque was fully cashed, that is just bad business in my mind anyway.

Aniseteph

Strange. Our banks here only let you have 1/2 the money that is on a cheque until it is fully cashed. Then again I would never refund anyone until I knew their cheque was fully cashed, that is just bad business in my mind anyway.

I guess it depends what counts for fully cashed. Just waiting the few days for the money to appear in your account and be available for you to spend isn't enough. Once the fraudulent cheque is rumbled further down the line and payment from the account it appears to be drawn on is refused, the banks will have it back from your account.

The con relies on people believing that once it's credited to their account it's safe to give that refund. Wrong.