Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'll go look for some more of Amar Gamal. Goddess stuff is not my thing but I'll take the points about being graceful and I would love that little bit of magic too. I certainly hope I am a teeny bit graceful already, but I am sure it can improve.

Shanazel: I need to wear them for about three minutes, then take them off and do a drumsolo. That is not really up for debate . There are a few ways to dispose of them, it is not too hard but I would like a really cool and almost "invisble" way to do it. Asmahan does a very nice trick that I am going to practice a bit to see if it fits with the dance.

Post Thanks / Like

So flinging them into the audience while yelling "OPA!" isn't an option?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'll go look for some more of Amar Gamal. Goddess stuff is not my thing but I'll take the points about being graceful and I would love that little bit of magic too. I certainly hope I am a teeny bit graceful already, but I am sure it can improve.

Shanazel: I need to wear them for about three minutes, then take them off and do a drumsolo. That is not really up for debate . There are a few ways to dispose of them, it is not too hard but I would like a really cool and almost "invisble" way to do it. Asmahan does a very nice trick that I am going to practice a bit to see if it fits with the dance.
    I saw on you tube sometime back a dancer undid her wings while dancing and did several spins to the back with the wings ( looked quite good) and then she gently released them with grace and went into a drum solo. It somehow showed she cared about her wings.

I hate the way some dancers just discard or toss veils & wings as if they are trash.

I am sure you will come up with something really nice.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    So flinging them into the audience while yelling "OPA!" isn't an option?
    Why not!? I should just hijack the choreography and go crazy

Thanks Mosaic. You got a point there. I am thinking of removing the wings a little bit before to hide the point of removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I hate the way some dancers just discard or toss veils & wings as if they are trash.
    Agreed. Spending 3 minutes doing a beautiful veil routine then just chucking it away looks odd.

I know the BDSS are very 'showy' but I really liked Amar's performance.
    Last edited by Corylus; 05-21-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a wings fan either and as such do not own a pair and have never actually danced using them! I think it's because they are a kind of prop that can sort of take over the entire dance.

I would also enter with them and then discard them. I like Shanazel's OPA! suggestion. Setting them on fire could also be a good way to make them disappear...

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently not many wings-fans around here
    I'm in class, so can't write much, but found some videos with Asmahan. There are two specific videos I'm trying to find. Hope they are still up.

Just for clarification- I am not expecting you guys to hand me all the research. I am looking and thinking a lot myself, but in case you happen to come across something cool, could you think of me and post it here? pretty
    please

Check out the way she removes the wings! So secretly. I like how it looks when she hold the wings at her waist in the spins.

Yay, I found one of the vids. Here she removes it in a pretty cool way. Can you spot it?
    Last edited by gisela; 05-21-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently not many wings-fans around here
    I'm in class, so can't write much, but found some videos with Asmahan. There are two specific videos I'm trying to find. Hope they are still up.

Just for clarification- I am not expecting you guys to hand me all the research. I am looking and thinking a lot myself, but in case you happen to come across something cool, could you think of me and post it here? pretty
    please

Check out the way she removes the wings! So secretly. I like how it looks when she hold the wings at her waist in the spins.

Yay, I found one of the vids. Here she removes it in a pretty cool way. Can you spot it?
    Took me 3 views to kind of spot it, around 1.08-9 into video, but still not exactly sure how she did it. somehow when her hand with wing is on top of her head. Pretty cool. i like the first one as well. The 1st video is very similar to what i saw another dancer do, so maybe she got it from Asmahan.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

The secret in the second video is that she uses the band on the wings as a hairband and in a spin she folds one wing in and just pulls the band out of her hair. sneaky

ETA: Weeeee! I found the other vid I was looking for.

I remember it as very powerful and flowing but watching it without sound makes me a bit stressed. I'd better go home and see it again WITH sound. I do think she has good energy and flow though. I realize that I like when they move the wings freely and unattached to the body. The neck band makes it kind of static.

Wow moments: 0.38, 1.17, 2.36, the spin from 2.40, the wheel from 3.00, tent from 3.16, crazy barrelturns around 4.00! Need to try some stuff out. Too bad the wings are so big and the apartment so tiny
    Last edited by gisela; 05-21-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I realize that I like when they move the wings freely and unattached to the body. The neck band makes it kind of static.
    Yeah, but what do you think about wings that are attached to the upper arms instead if the neck?
    Last edited by Daimona; 05-21-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast