Isis Wings- technique and inspiration

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes, but I am unsure of how easy they are to quickly take off. I thought about transforming my neckband-wings to armbands-wings, as it would also solve the length problem I always have with normal wings. (They are too short)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Yes, but I am unsure of how easy they are to quickly take off. I thought about transforming my neckband-wings to armbands-wings, as it would also solve the length problem I always have with normal wings. (They are too short)
Very sneaky:lol: Great idea though.
~Mosaic

onela

I'm in a bad mood and skiving off at work! >:O Discussion of shiney things should perk me up and make me more productive, yes? :)

I'm slightly hijacking this thread to ask if anybody uses these mini-wings that I've seen at Dahlal.com. As a petite person I am overwhelmed by the idea of the standard wings...

Might be a nice way to shake up people's expectations of Isis Wings in a routine?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'm in a bad mood and skiving off at work! >:O Discussion of shiney things should perk me up and make me more productive, yes? :)

I'm slightly hijacking this thread to ask if anybody uses these mini-wings that I've seen at Dahlal.com. As a petite person I am overwhelmed by the idea of the standard wings...

Might be a nice way to shake up people's expectations of Isis Wings in a routine?

The bellydance Shop Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery has them as well for $50 & $65. I have never seen anyone use them though. To me they look neither here nor there.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Onela. I have also never seen them used, as I can remember...

Here is a nice trick. It's in the end at 2.56. Bozenka grabs the other edge of the wings for a softer veil-y look. Me like :) I am getting really inspired now. Troupe practice tomorrow , so it is about time to come up with some new stuff.

This is just going in the collection of new ways to handle the wings

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Sorry for the monologue guys;). I hope it can come in handy for someone else too someday.

Stuff I like at: 1:29, 1:54, and the same again at 2:02.

Dramatic "diving" at the beginning.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
...but I would like a really cool and almost "invisible" way to do it. Asmahan does a very nice trick that I am going to practice a bit to see if it fits with the dance.
Dunno if this helps - but I have a routine with a minute or so of wings in the beginning. My neck strap is velcro - I simply back up a "reasonable distance" upstage, give the (front of the) neckband a quick tug, and let them fall off behind me. Pretty "invisible".

As for videos, Ayshe is the Queen of wings:

Zorba's Video Reviews: Wings, The Complete Technique by Ayshe

Last edited:

Khalida

And just to mention that Khalida has an instructional video for using wings.

Thank you Daimona! :D

Just a quick bump to say we are offering a special holiday sale (simply type in HOLIDAY at checkout) of 15% on all DVD purchases until end of December 2012 PLUS free shipping worldwide! Ch-ch-check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
These are all very helpful tips and things to think about. I'm working on choreographing a new piece that involves wings.

Dunyah

Using the wings without the sticks is another option for a different, softer look. Less dramatic in some ways, but could be beautiful.

Amulya

Dunno if this helps - but I have a routine with a minute or so of wings in the beginning. My neck strap is velcro - I simply back up a "reasonable distance" upstage, give the (front of the) neckband a quick tug, and let them fall off behind me. Pretty "invisible".

As for videos, Ayshe is the Queen of wings:

Zorba's Video Reviews: Wings, The Complete Technique by Ayshe

But how to gracefully pick them up after? I keep finding picking up props after dancing a bit disgracefully looking.

Darshiva

Pick them up by the neck between the wings (so back & centre) and let them flutter along behind you.

I like the drama of a wings exit (did you notice?!)

Farasha Hanem

Rats, the link doesn't work. Anyway, my daughter bought me a set of child's wings last year for Christmas because I'm small. They're great in places where space is confined. As for "normal" wings, you can roll up the neckband 3 or 4 times to make them shorter. :)