creating a bio for a non BD audience

staranise

Hello everyone, I am wondering if you could give me some advice.

I am performing solo this October at an alternative fashion parade, and the organiser has asked me to submit photos and a bio for a website. I have written bio's before, but mostly they relate to an audience who are bellydancers, or are at least familiar with BD, so they mention things like who I've studied with and styles that I do.

I am hesitant to put that into a bio for a public gig because it wouldn't mean anything to the audience. I'm guessing I would want to describe the kind of dancer that I am without using jargon, but I'm at a loss at how to do that.

any ideas? I'm performing tribal fusion.

thanks in advance :)

Amulya

Do you want to do a bio for yourself, or include a bit of belly dance info as well? That could make a big difference.
For example when I do fusion I might call it 'contemporary belly dance' instead of tribal fusion/tribaret (= even more complicated to explain :lol:) what could be very confusion for the GP.
If I do traditional, I let the MC announce my dancing as traditional belly dance, not going into details.

ETA: we met each other at Wild Honey Festival last year, didn't we? Where are you going to perform?

staranise

Hey Amulya, thanks for the info.

The show in question I'm going to perform at is Clockwork Butterfly in Melbourne, but I really hope to make it to Wild Honey this year and hopefully perform there too! it was such an amazing night last year.

Amulya

That looks nice, the poster for the event! Wish you good luck and lots of fun. I'll see you definitely at Wild Honey Festival this year!