After workshops ... what do you do?

Kraliche

I am a student dancer of Turkish oriental style, for almost two years.

This May, I was lucky and had a chance to participate international festival and intensive workshops ... and got 10 choreos. Out of 10, I have 5 choreos that I really want to make it "mine".

Teachers allowed us to tape ourselves or even themselves, so I have a video of all the choreos ... and I have already wrote down my "choreo sheet" not to forget them.

I think I should repeat 100 times ... maybe take video of myself and do reality check ... but what else am I supposed to do?

I am not sure if it is a good idea to ask *other* teacher to check if I am doing fine... especially when they dance different style ... but I can hardly find any Egyptian and/or AmCab style teacher here in Istanbul :think:

My big sister dancers, after you go to workshops and get a new choreo, what do you do???

Aniseteph

Well done for getting so much out of your workshops!

Me, I don't even try with choreographies because I know I'm hopeless learning them in so short a time, and won't use them anyway. A couple of combos, some good music, or a new twist on technique or musical interpretation and I am happy.

I think videoing yourself is a great idea, and working really hard on the bits that you aren't happy with.

You might be able to get some useful feedback from teacher of a different style, but I agree you'd need to pick the right person. It's not going to work with a teacher who says "oh no, she's doing that all wrong, it should be like this". But one who is open to what you are trying to achieve, especially with the footage of the original workshop/teacher, might be able to analyse the moves with a more experienced eye and give you some pointers.

adiemus

I'm like you Aniseteph, I can't remember a whole choreography, so if I can take a combination, or maybe a new styling, or a piece of technique then I'm happy.
I think Kraliche, if you can recall so much from your workshops, choose one, then video yourself and compare with the video you got from the workshop as one way of seeing how close you get - but possibly don't worry too much about making it 'identical' because, as you say, you want to make it 'yours'.

Kashmir

I think I should repeat 100 times ... maybe take video of myself and do reality check ... but what else am I supposed to do?
That sounds like a good idea - and compare with the original. It may not be the same - it may be better - but at least that way you can see what you are doing.

Kraliche

Aniseteph, it is only thanks to the video ... I AM the hopeless one to get the choreo in the workshops timeframe :( ... especially after dancing 6 hours ... I was closer to MJ's thriller zombi dancers ...

Anyway, I agree that it is too difficult to find a *open-minded* teacher/dancer, so I think I'll review my video and try my best to be objective. Thanks for your comment:)

adiemus, I like to learn the whole choreo, especially for songs with lyrics in Arabic, cos I don't want to do anything wrong ... or look silly ... you know. ;) For instrumental, yes I like your approach.

Well I have no hope that I look identical with neither AZIZA nor Jillina ... but yes, I can make it mine!

Kraliche

Kashmir, thank you ... I was lucky that we are allowed to videotape the original teacher himself/herself on condition that we don't share with anyone else. I will see how good ( or bad ... or hopeless ) I can be ;)

Yshka

Kraliche said:
After workshops ... what do you do?

Go home, eat, take a shower and go off to sleep :lol:

No, seriously: I usually try to get the music and practise the choreo as a whole to not forget. For me, if I only practise bits and pieces, the nice movement combos and feel of the steps gets lost. I must practise as a whole before I can incorporate separate combos and make them really my own.
I rarely use a whole choreo (even when given permission) but take out of it the steps and combos I like, make THOSE my own and use them in say, improv (I rarely dchoreograph in detail anymore except for students and troupe work, and once in a while for myself if it is something really special).

If I really want to make a choreo mine I'll spend more work on listening to the music, checking all the details and special accents and replace/add movements to my taste. I keep practising though, cause even if I don't use the choreo, I enjoy practising choreographed dances as a whole because somehow my memory can get it's head 'round the steps better and it gets me ready to put in to practise later what I learned before.

Last edited:

Kraliche

Oh I think we deserve beer and/or big icecream between shower and bed ...;)

Thank you Yshka well said ... yes, me too I enjoy practicing the whole choreography ... especially when they are from master teachers, and it helps me to learn new technique and moves ( as I am still in biginner level, I tend to "downgrade" combos )

If I really want to make a choreo mine I'll spend more work on listening to the music, checking all the details and special accents and replace/add movements to my taste.

This gives me a good guideline how I want to review all those choreos ... thank you very much!