Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How old?

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What exaclty is body-popping?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's hard to describe. It's like you isolate parts of your body, and then you can make your body flow and stuff. I'll find you a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6a0B...Body%20popping

Our classes were a little different though, cause it was more poppy and lots of street dance and stuff were thrown in. I think she called it body popping cause she taught us how to isolate nearly everypart of our bodies before she would teach us anything else, and when she began to teach us choreo's and stuff, she began to put other moves in and stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I call that robot dancing

You can do that? That's cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was... let's see... 30 years of age. Not a mother yet :p I'm 31 now, and I hope I can still dance for many years to come, even if I never become a pro!

In the last couple of years, I was curious to discover that dance which fascinated me. I wanted to take lessons but I wasn't daring enough to go on my own (a bit of shyness and remnants of a language barrier were stopping me) so I asked friends to come with me. But they refused So I ended up going alone... and I got hooked from the first second

Post Thanks / Like

I started when bellydance fad hit Finland in the early 90´s - I was 23 years old and got hooked... i even tried to stop dancing after 10 years but I guess that it is not possible anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I was 21 when I started dancing as a way to exercise after I had my daughter. Now I do this for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

---
    Last edited by MichelleD; 09-24-2007 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 15 when I started with Videos (Ranias 4 tape series) and 18 when I started to get formal lessons. I am 19 (and a half now...lol)
    Mandii

www.desertdreamsdance.com

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I realized there was such a thing as belly dance, I was about 12 or 13 and saw pictures in a magazine. I used to hide out in the backyard behind the rose bushes and try to imitate the pictures... When I was in college, I saw a belly dancer perform for the first time and nearly knocked people down to get to her to ask if she gave lessons- to really appreciate this, you have to understand I was too shy to say soo-ey if the hogs were eating me. Approaching a glamorous stranger with a question was unheard of for me. I started dancing professionally when I was 23 and continued until I was in my late 20s. I quit dancing for a while because of illness, then began teaching when I was about 32. At about 40, I "retired" but returned to teaching several years ago when the place I used to teach called to ask me to please come back. So much for retirement. I'm 51 now and will keep teaching as long as my body holds out. I occasionally get invitations to dance in public, but I turn them down except for the occasional local hafla or rec center recital. I am not a professional dancer any more, and have no desire to return to the spot light. Teaching is where I am happiest and most useful.

Hmm, probably too much information. Sorry.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast