How old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara

Well it's hard to describe. It's like you isolate parts of your body, and then you can make your body flow and stuff. I'll find you a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6a0BIa34bc&search=Body popping

Our classes were a little different though, cause it was more poppy and lots of street dance and stuff were thrown in. I think she called it body popping cause she taught us how to isolate nearly everypart of our bodies before she would teach us anything else, and when she began to teach us choreo's and stuff, she began to put other moves in and stuff.

Mariyam

I was... let's see... 30 years of age. Not a mother yet :p I'm 31 now, and I hope I can still dance for many years to come, even if I never become a pro!

In the last couple of years, I was curious to discover that dance which fascinated me. I wanted to take lessons but I wasn't daring enough to go on my own (a bit of shyness and remnants of a language barrier were stopping me) so I asked friends to come with me. But they refused :mad: So I ended up going alone... and I got hooked from the first second :D

Kiraze

I started when bellydance fad hit Finland in the early 90´s - I was 23 years old and got hooked... i even tried to stop dancing after 10 years but I guess that it is not possible anymore :rolleyes:

Mandii

I was 15 when I started with Videos (Ranias 4 tape series) and 18 when I started to get formal lessons. I am 19 (and a half now...lol):D
Mandii

www.desertdreamsdance.com

Shanazel

The first time I realized there was such a thing as belly dance, I was about 12 or 13 and saw pictures in a magazine. I used to hide out in the backyard behind the rose bushes and try to imitate the pictures... When I was in college, I saw a belly dancer perform for the first time and nearly knocked people down to get to her to ask if she gave lessons- to really appreciate this, you have to understand I was too shy to say soo-ey if the hogs were eating me. Approaching a glamorous stranger with a question was unheard of for me. I started dancing professionally when I was 23 and continued until I was in my late 20s. I quit dancing for a while because of illness, then began teaching when I was about 32. At about 40, I "retired" but returned to teaching several years ago when the place I used to teach called to ask me to please come back. So much for retirement. I'm 51 now and will keep teaching as long as my body holds out. I occasionally get invitations to dance in public, but I turn them down except for the occasional local hafla or rec center recital. I am not a professional dancer any more, and have no desire to return to the spot light. Teaching is where I am happiest and most useful.

Hmm, probably too much information. Sorry.

chryssanthi sahar

I grew up with the Greek belly dance called "Tsifteteli". I started other forms of belly dance at the age of 24. First i did American Cabaret, but about 2 years later I switched to Egyptian style, which I've been doing for almost 20 years now. When I started my full professional career as a belly dancer, I was 30. Before that I did performances as a semi-professional.
By the way, 16 is a very good age to start belly dancing:) Go for it;)

cherrybaby

I'm 13. I started in November. I'll be 14 tomorrow! :)

I'm going to assume that if I keep with it I'll get good (hopefully). I was introduced by a neighbor two years younger who had taken belly dance lessons in France for two years.

charity

SARA:
very cool. is that body popping from being ultra flexible or is it muscular control? either way, you must already be technically proficient at belly dance if you can do that. perhaps i'll find a body popping dvd to learn from. LOL.

i started bellydance class 3weeks ago at 32 and for 6 months prior, though off and on, i had been studying the instructional dvd's and youtube and casseiopia's website.

Shanazel

I'm 13. I started in November. I'll be 14 tomorrow! :)

I'm going to assume that if I keep with it I'll get good (hopefully). I was introduced by a neighbor two years younger who had taken belly dance lessons in France for two years.

Good for you, cherrybaby, and happy birthday! I really enjoy my younger students, and wish my thirteen going on fourteen daughter would join us, but she's at that stage where anything Mom does is considered hopelessly outdated- and mom belly dances.

Sara

Heyas,

Body Popping is just like belly dance in terms of how to learning it. You either get it first go or it takes a while, or it can take forever.

I grew up dancing with my gram and mum, (mainly doing Romany styles and some belly dance but didn't start properly until I'd gone sixteen). Gram used to line me and my cousins up against a wall and make us practise moves, like chest lifts and hands and head movements. I've always found popping and locking quite easy though, so I can't really say how long it takes to learn generally...:think:

I do't really dance like the person in the clip though. I lean more to street dance with popping.

Yasmina

I used to "bellydance" in our house with my cousins when I was 15, but we had no idea what it was we were doing :) It was Arabic music, and we moved our hips to the rhythm, so we were guessing this was what bellydancing was about...I had my first class when I was 19 and it was love on first sight...

gisela

Super Moderator
I was 23 when I finally got around taking lessons. Had been seriously longing for it for two years but I guess the time and mental state of mind hadn't been ready. I wish I had started earlier but maybe I wouldn't have loved it as much as I do now if I had started when the mind was too full of other things. I'm now 27 and NO plans on ever giving up dancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.