Mapping your music

LaurenRaqs

Most of what I do is described here, I put the info on my website:
Bellydance: How to create a choreography

I have a little 'worksheet' I give my students, where they break the music into sections, try to identify the rhythm and instrument in each section, give a few words about the emotional content (or lyrics) and rate the energy level on a scale of 1-10.

Then I have them plot those energy level ratings on a little line graph.

Pretty anal, maybe, but it's been a useful technique in class. I've been telling them to avoid pieces of music that graph out flat (the whole song is at an energy level of 2-3, or the whole thing is 9-10). I love to see a piece that has a lot of range.

PracticalDancer

I have a little 'worksheet' I give my students, where they break the music into sections, try to identify the rhythm and instrument in each section, give a few words about the emotional content (or lyrics) and rate the energy level on a scale of 1-10.

Pretty anal, maybe, but it's been a useful technique in class. I've been telling them to avoid pieces of music that graph out flat (the whole song is at an energy level of 2-3, or the whole thing is 9-10). I love to see a piece that has a lot of range.

That is actually a wonderful idea! Most students have trouble picking songs because they like the "hook" sound that is so familiar (from the western songs they listen to). They don't realize that the reason "they can't think of what to do for 4 minutes" is because the song they picked is telling them to do the same thing over and over. Visual variation =variety with your method -- and it sounds very educational!

Regards,

Anala

PS: Welcome to the forum!

gisela

Super Moderator
Yes yes yes! (to the dynamic music)
I learnt this the hard way, in the performance space, mprovising. I realized that the music was FAR too same-same to keep it interesting.

Anthea Kawakib

mapping music breakdown

I do the same kind of mapping you do Gisela -

I use a separate piece of paper than where I write my choreography notes though as it would get really messy. My music breakdown's like this:
Zeina

I use the lines or strokes as measures (usually) so I see how many measures each musical section or phrase is. It helps if I can actually SEE it like that...

Corylus

Thank you for this link Lauren, really helpful! Gave you rep for it.

I actually find it quite helpful just to listen to the music with a pen in hand and draw a line for how I feel the music sounds i.e. loops and swirls if it sounds floaty, dots for percussive parts. Then I write how long each part lasts, how it makes me feel and if there are any movements that I feel would suit each part. I'm very much a visual learner so somehow the line drawing helps me to visualise the music as movement.

That said, I've not choreographed anything yet really. I just like drawing how the music sounds as I find it helpful.

gisela

Super Moderator

I actually find it quite helpful just to listen to the music with a pen in hand and draw a line for how I feel the music sounds i.e. loops and swirls if it sounds floaty, dots for percussive parts. Then I write how long each part lasts, how it makes me feel and if there are any movements that I feel would suit each part. I'm very much a visual learner so somehow the line drawing helps me to visualise the music as movement.

That said, I've not choreographed anything yet really. I just like drawing how the music sounds as I find it helpful.

that is a cool idea :) I might try it too.

Maria_Aya

Great thread !

Personal I "draw" the music with Orf system, and its my first base for a choreography. After add the details, but after time doing this, from the first draw its 90% whats it.

LaurenRaqs

Oh, I used to do this very same thing! It helped me to find the patterns in the music -- when I first started out, it wasn't obvious to me that the section at 2:43 is exactly repeating the section I heard at 1:05, for instance.

I still 'write' these loops and dots on the mirror with my finger, really big, when I'm trying to help my students 'hear' the rise and fall, the sentences, the smooth and percussive changes, in the music.

gisela

Super Moderator

I used your article as a guide when I made my first serious choreography and I found it very helpful. I had actually forgotten about it so I am glad you posted a link :)