Solo ideas??? Moves and Songs....

nisha

Hi

Im at a loss here. I dont know what to do for a solo! I always end up improvising because then I cant go wrong! Its a bad habit I need to shake, so please, any ideas on what I could do.....Egyptian style or even modern cabaret would do.

Its for a pub performance next week......need to have few solos perfected....:confused:

So....also:

what music do you think is the best for a solo? I have hakim,natascha,warda,george abdo,hossam ramzy,loads!

ideas come on,.im really stuck here!

everytime I go to start one i stop and watch tv! its like studying for an exam! I get all nervous and just give up. am i weird?????

Ludmilla

nisha -- I admire the amount of material you already have!! And can improv "to boot" -- Improvising is not a bad habit to shake!! It's what I would aspire to!!!!

"what music good for a solo?" It's infinite as to all that is out there -- Just a comment and may be wrong direction etc but I love seeing renditions of "Alf Leya Wa Leya" and could watch 1001 of them --- DIfferent interpretations of this classic song, I just love, and as a solo - this song, so dramatic and full of texture, etc.

Can you dance to drum solos? Those are so dramatic and crowd-pleasing -- (can't name a song -- there are so many of them)-- But I wanted to ask you -- if you can mention at all where you get your ideas/inspriation would be really interesting -- Good luck in the pub -- Wish I could be there!!!
Ludy --

Hi Nisha, Congratulations on your gig! I agree with Ludmilla, improvisation is really the cornestone to good Oriental dance. Choreography is a modern concept and especially useful when working with groups of people.
It's diffiicult to answer your question, because your music choice is based on your emotional response to it(esp. with improv). so let's narrow down your choices to some tangibles:
How long is your set? That will help you pick the #of songs you will need. Keep in mind 15 minutes is usually 3-5 minute songs and so on.Think about a fast intro, mid-tempo to slow songs for the middle portion, drum solo/specialty act, then your exit.
Does this club regularly feature Bellydancers? If so , the audience would be accustomed to seeing a live dancer and be familiar with ME music. If you are the first dancer to appear at the club, then your audience will
most likely respond to music that has a more modern edge to it(like Hakim), and on subsequent shows add more of a traditional ME flavor. Remember to pay attention to your audience, work the positive energy.
What type of costume will you wear? You will want a costume that's not only flattering but, accentuate the dance. You will want the costume to be apart of the performance and not fighting against it.
Just a few ideas, hopes it helps.
Yasmine

Does this club have regular Belly dancers? Or are the first one?

nisha

Its a pub in the city,called the woodford and its actually quite big and spacious.
they have asked me to do a 2 hour show, in addition to the night called "arabic night" and my friend catherine is dancing too. we have our own space with lighting and we can do whatever we want! Im wearing red as its the only costume I have......red and silver top,red skirt and anklets and hair down.Not too dressy as I want the people to feel relaxed. I need a solo that will last 3 or 4 mins and will capture their attention. we have 2 hrs to make up and we're worried we dont have alot of material.

we have duets,and group choreographies so we can do them.....??

its the 2nd time bellydance has come to this pub,last time was 1 year ago. I do egyptian classical style so its new for the people of cork to see!

Advice on what song to choose?

Hi Nisha, then in that case I agree with Ludmilla "Alf Leyla Wa Leyla" is an excellent choice to show off your Classical Egyptian style! There are sections of the song to show off hip and shoulder accents as well as soft fluid undulations and travelling steps to make good use of the space. If you have time, contact the manager of the pub to see if you can practice . Also check out the sound system too. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Yasmine

Ludmilla

Hi Yasmine -- Great comments!! (I know I sound like a broken record.............)

THanks for the description of putting a show together -- gauge audience, length of show etc etc -- costumes ----- This is the best explaination I have heard of this!! Regards, Ludy

Nisha -- 2 hours - wow - wish I could see the show!! Good luck and if someone might video it and you might show us some clips..............? This sounds wonderful and like such an incredible venue for BD show --- Have fun and much success!! :)

nisha

thanks

Hi LudY! thanks for the luck! I need it!

And Yasmine,thanks for all the advice,I think Ill go by your word.

Fast at start, then slow, then drumming then finale!

solo coming on! I dont know that song but I think hakim will do!

thanks again

Nisha ;)