Greetings from Chicago!!!

Punko

I hope I'm doing this right!! lol, I'm 23 and a nervous wreck when it comes to performing in front of... anybody really. I feel if I don't do this now I will regret it for the rest of my life. Wasting talent...I LOVE the art of dance, especially belly dance, plus its in my blood. I'm here to seek courage, and I hope you lovely ladies can share your wisdom with me. :)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. I am sure that many of us can offer encouragement, I think that a lot of dancers are nervous to some extent especially when they first begin to dance in front of anyone. here's a thread about the jitters before performing to get you started:D http://www.bellydanceforums.net/performance/9646-jitters-before-performing.html I am sure there are others, if you look through the performance or instructors and students forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions, we will help where we can:D
~Mosaic

Punko

Since I was a baby? LOL!!! I was born in Pakistan to Afghan/Persian parents and dance was very much part of everyday life. I was always told that dancing half naked in front of people was "haram", in fact dancing in front of people for money was frowned upon,so I was afraid to say "daddy I want to be a belly dancer please support me". It would have been like asking for a death wish..... SO now that I'm an adult I struggle with fear because its been embedded in me so much. BUT I LOVE TO DANCE!! Its a passion in my life and I will end up dieing from a shimmy related accident I'm sure. LOL!! Thats just me in a nut shell... I'm so sorry if it turned into a long life story. :)

Yshka

We love bellydance-related life stories! :lol: I can imagine it's difficult though if your parents do not approve. Are you currently taking any classes or dancing somewhere?

Thanks for sharing and see you around the boards! :D

Farasha Hanem

Big, big hugs to you, Punko, and welcome! :D I can't imagine how it must feel to be in your situation.

I tried to find a short bio of the Belly Twins, Neena and Veena Bidasha. I read somewhere that at first, their family wasn't too happy about them becoming bellydancers, so I was going to post a link to their bio. Surprisingly, I couldn't find one, not even on Wiki. However, here is a link to one of their interviews that I hope you find encouraging:

Interview - HOLLYWOOD DANCING TWINS VEENA & NEENA BIDASHA by Padma Chebrolu, OH, USA

I wish you all the best in following your own dreams, Punko. *hugs again*

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Since I was a baby? LOL!!! I was born in Pakistan to Afghan/Persian parents and dance was very much part of everyday life. I was always told that dancing half naked in front of people was "haram", in fact dancing in front of people for money was frowned upon,so I was afraid to say "daddy I want to be a belly dancer please support me". It would have been like asking for a death wish..... SO now that I'm an adult I struggle with fear because its been embedded in me so much. BUT I LOVE TO DANCE!! Its a passion in my life and I will end up dieing from a shimmy related accident I'm sure. LOL!! Thats just me in a nut shell... I'm so sorry if it turned into a long life story. :)
Ahhhh you poor soul, struggling with fear, wish I could give you a big hug anyway here is a cyber one You will find support here as much as we can give long distance. so feel free to voice your concerns and ask questions when you need. Consider the forum your 'home away from home'.
~Mosaic

Punko

Hugs!

Thank you ladies, I came to the forum in the hopes of getting support and you all are very wonderful teachers and influences. I look up to you all, for doing what you do and doing it proudly. Sometimes I think to myself "Am I crazy for wanting something like this?" What if my family sees me?" And the American inside me yells "Shut up, this is America" lol!! Getting over the fear will definitely be a challenge but life is much too short. :D

Farasha Hanem

American Bellydancer! Not just a documentary!

Thank you ladies, I came to the forum in the hopes of getting support and you all are very wonderful teachers and influences. I look up to you all, for doing what you do and doing it proudly. Sometimes I think to myself "Am I crazy for wanting something like this?" What if my family sees me?" And the American inside me yells "Shut up, this is America" lol!! Getting over the fear will definitely be a challenge but life is much too short. :D

WOO-HOOOOOO!!! :D