Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Texture and layering?

I have been thinking about these two concepts in dance. Are they the same or not? Could you try to put it in words how they differ? I am sensing that they might not be the exact same thing but that they are quite close.

I would appreciate a discussion about this and some examples.

F ex could texturing be doing a hip circle first slower and then faster at the end to follow the music, and layering be doing a hip circle with a shimmy at the same time?
    But it feels like a circle with a shimmy could also be a texture, or no?

Post Thanks / Like

that's funny you should post this. i got my 'Mahin - Daily Bellydance Quickie' & that's what the subject was about. Here's what I got in my email:

Tuesday Technique

Creating Texture

Food has texture... art has texture...well, so do your dance steps!

Varying the texture of your movements is a great way to add interest and reflect the changing qualities in the music.

To play with this, lets go back to that good 'ol Basic Egyptian step we were tinkering with last Tuesday. Try changing the texture with these ideas:
    Add a shimmy to the hip lift
    Do the hip lift as a "lock" - arrive and freeze there.
    Do the hip lift in a very soft, swingy non-percussive fashion
    Do the hip lift sharply, but let it reverb after hitting the mark

What else can you think of?
    How can you add texture to a hip circle?

Post Thanks / Like

I know
    That's what made me post this. It is interesting but I am feeling a bit confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    I know
    That's what made me post this. It is interesting but I am feeling a bit confused.
    oh that's funny i was wondering if you got that as well...lol. what are you confused about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyStacey View Post
    what are you confused about?
    The things I wrote about in the first post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gisela View Post
    The things I wrote about in the first post
    well smack my head & pass me the dunce cap funny what i can learn if i read the ENTIRE post.

yeah i can see where the confusion comes from. to me texture is doing say a hip lift more slowly, or faster, sharper or softer if that makes any sense. change an element of how you do it so that it is still the same move, but visually looks different. to me that's the texture. to me layering is doing two moves at the same time chest lift & shimmy for example. but i could also be totally wrong...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyStacey View Post
    to me texture is doing say a hip lift more slowly, or faster, sharper or softer if that makes any sense. change an element of how you do it so that it is still the same move, but visually looks different. to me that's the texture. to me layering is doing two moves at the same time chest lift & shimmy for example. but i could also be totally wrong...lol.
    That sounds about right...layering can be 2 or more movements layered on top of another...it's most common to layer, say, chest circles while shimmying, or hip circles while shimmying...you can also travel, shimmy and add chest movements (that's 3 elements) or add arms to that and make it 4!
    And don't forget about conveying emotion as adding texture too! A hip circle can be done in a myriad of ways technically, then adding emotional emphasis behind it will change the dynamics of each of those 'ways'! Cool right?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that 'texture' as it relates to dance is kind of a vague term that can mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean, really. It's not a standard dance term.

In the passage quoted above, the writer seems to be using the word 'texture' to mean "adding variation to movements in order to help them more closely match the music."

So, by that definition, layering a shimmy over a movement is one way to add "Texture," but certainly not the only way.

Words that describe texture in its normal sense include
    • smooth
    • rough
    • soft
    • hard
    • gooey
    • plush
    • velvety

So if you think of a movement - let's say a maya - and then think of doing that movement with all these various "textures" it's a useful exercise in matching the movement to the music (since you can probably hear "textures" in the music as well).

Aaaaand my lesson plan for tomorrow night's Solo Skills class is finished!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gia al Qamar View Post
    That sounds about right...layering can be 2 or more movements layered on top of another...it's most common to layer, say, chest circles while shimmying, or hip circles while shimmying...you can also travel, shimmy and add chest movements (that's 3 elements) or add arms to that and make it 4!
    And don't forget about conveying emotion as adding texture too! A hip circle can be done in a myriad of ways technically, then adding emotional emphasis behind it will change the dynamics of each of those 'ways'! Cool right?
    VERY VERY cool. yeah totally emotion can totally change things as well.

Post Thanks / Like

To my very simple way of thinking, "layering" is the ability to perform two (or more) unrelated moves perfectly at the same time, such as a shimmy and a snake arm, or a horizontal hip circle concurrently with a chest lift.

Texture is when one performs movements that have different visual appeal close together. As one friend / teacher put it "a gooey then a sharp." Such as: a steady shimmy either with or before a chest pop; a maya followed by a lock; turns followed by a standing shimmy -- i.e. where contrast comes into play.

Layering is when you can handle contradictions at the same time.

Texture is when you use contradictions to add interest to your overall performance.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

Anala

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast