When you think you've got it but you don't

sstacy123

It is really frustrating when you think you've got something. My instructor had given us what she called a little "routiney thing" with basic steps and she said when you get comfortable with it start adding some shoulder shimmies on the grapevine one direction and then hip shimmies coming back. Well I thought I could do the grapevine with shoulder shimmy, seems simple, but she had also told us to use our bodies with the grapevine and not just the feet and I realized when I did the shoulder shimmy I'm not using my body to move in the steps...grrr...thought I had that one, now I got get that and the hip shimmy.

Aisha Azar

Got it, etc.

Dear Sstacy,
And that is how it will be your whole dance life!! As long as you dance, you will hopefully continue to perfect movement, grow in emotional depth, better understand the essence behind what you are doing and build on what came before. Look at it all as the same as just being alive. The minute you stop growing on one level or another. you will be dead!
Best wishes and long dance life to you,
REgards,
A'isha

Hi Sstacy, Let me share with you my story, I working on trying to perfect a choo-choo shimmy over a travelling lower-body camel. Perfect it in the sense that I want the move too feel right and comfortable in my body. So far,I feel just like a camel!:confused: Oh well I'm not going to give up and neither should you.
Yasmine

TribalDancer

I loooove moments like that! I love "layering", and I don't mean necessarily literally. I mean I love it when I do one thing, then add another, then another, and finally try to add one more...and I can't quite. So I found a new challenge! FUN! Enjoy the journey!

Moon

What is this "grapevine" movement?

Stacy, don't give up, you'll get there and then it will feel sooo good because you worked hard for it :dance:

sstacy123

grapevine and shimmy

I definately don't have any plans to give up anytime soon but I do sometimes worry what if I never get it, what if I'm not cut out for this stuff, but I want it and I try not to think that way...I try to stay positive, it is way too early in the game to be negative saying I can't...

Grapevine, the written instructions my instructor, Aziza, gave me are:
Facing front, cross left foot front and to the right side, step over to the right side with the right foot, then swing left foot back and behind, and step again to the side with the right foot

can go either way...not hard at all by itself...