Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to reveal the bad bellydance teacher?

My friend don't know how to reveal the bad teacher.She was engaged in bellydance during two years and till now teacher has not learned her to do a wave (Camel).
    It properly or not?

Post Thanks / Like

hard to say. We were taught the basics of a camel during out beginners class but didn't really get into more detail on it till later classes.

Not sure if there is a list anywhere of what makes a bad teacher, maybe what is an inexperienced teacher. If your friend doesn't feel she is learning enough for the time period tell her to find a new teacher.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya Habibi View Post
    My friend don't know how to reveal the bad teacher.She was engaged in bellydance during two years and till now teacher has not learned her to do a wave (Camel).
    It properly or not?
    It really depends on how much your friend has learnt and to a lesser extent the level of the class. I do not try and teach undulations until I think the students have automatic abdominal control - that is they engage their deep abdominals ("core") to support and protect their lower backs during this move. This is pretty hard to gauge but I look at how they are executing hip rocks, figure eights, and horizontal circles. If it looks like they are not using any abs for them I don't even consider it. I also do some ab strength tests.

Also, not all styles of belly dance use undulations to the same extent. For instance Egyptian uses very little and traditionally it is based in just teh pelvis.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you girls for your opinion!!

As for me, i think, that bad teacher is the greedy, self-confident, limited person.
    People who consider, that their status of the teacher already gives them the right to position as the professional, they are not right...
    People who are able to take only - money, emotions, time and are not capable to give anything in replacements...
    In my opinion, bad teacher takes, but does not give in exchange. The teacher is not simply good dancer. It first of all the PERSON who shares with others and constantly works above itself.
    And is not the one who is able to explain and learns to a wave.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I also don't teach camels untill people actually know how to use their abdomen and to my experience (I have been teaching for about 2 or 3 years so also just a baby teacher) this doesn't usually happen before the end of 2nd year. You simply cannot judge a teacher based on which move she teaches when. The teacher is after all responsible and if the students cannot work their abdominal muscles well in order to do undulations and take stress off the lower back, they shouldn't be learning the camel just yet.

The fact that your friend hasn't been taught to do a camel after only 2 years looks pretty normal to me. If just basing on this little bit of info, at least the teacher seems responsible and aware of her students abilities, but ofcourse one cannot tell without knowing/watching the teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is important to know what the student has been taught during those two years, and how well she can do those moves. Only then can you know whether she has been learning enough from this teacher...when you look at the whole picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, it's best for a student to take lessons from more than one teacher, as one teacher will never teach everything that is needed. Even if a student has to learn from videos, it is another source of learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bellydance Teachers

I have had a couple bellydance teachers in the 5 years that I've been taking classes. The first was very professional, always prepared and very informative with handouts of the warm-up stretching exercises, bellydance drills, choreography and music.
    The teacher I presently have, is not prepared for class, does not offer any handouts and spends 3/4 of the time on the cold hard floor doing stretching exercises (in spite of using a yoga mat- it is still painful). To not sound too critical, because in spite of the lack of professionalism with my current teacher, I am still learning something, however, I dread going to the class.
    I am moving to another state at the end of the month and have already checked to see if any bellydance classes were offered around the area! I think I have found one, based on her website, that specifically states what is included with each 6 week session.
    At any rate, it is always a good thing to have different teachers - because we all come away with something, even if it is never to take lessons from so-in-so again! My standards for learning are very high, and if there is something lacking - I will become discouraged.
    I totally agree with Tanya - just being a good dancer does not make one a good teacher. You can't judge a book by its cover!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    Also, it's best for a student to take lessons from more than one teacher, as one teacher will never teach everything that is needed. Even if a student has to learn from videos, it is another source of learning.
    Agreed! And if a student is very very unhappy about a teacher: just change!

Wanted to add: sometimes a teacher does not match a student, it's not necessary that the teacher is not good, but it is important to find one you feel is right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brenda View Post
    The teacher I presently have, is not prepared for class, does not offer any handouts and spends 3/4 of the time on the cold hard floor doing stretching exercises (in spite of using a yoga mat- it is still painful).
    If I wanted to do 45 minutes of stretching, I'd take a yoga class.

When I go to a belly dance class or workshop, I expect to spend the time belly dancing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast