Has anyone tried the Hannan Sultan DVDs?

Jujube

I've been wanting her "Put the Belly Back in Bellydance" and "Elegant Turns and Arabesques" for a while but haven't pulled the trigger due to no reviews.

Anyone?

PracticalDancer

I have them, but (ahem) have not had a chance to work with them . . . yet. But, I should disclose before I attempt any review that my troupe recently hosted a workshop with her. She is fabulous (again, admitting bias) and students seemed to really enjoy studying with her.

Maybe I will have time over the next few weeks to actually stand up with her DVD's and "keep studying" with her.

Regards,

Anala

PracticalDancer

Saw this on facebook earlier today and thought I would share:

Hannan is now offering "online" study, in that you can now download a copy of her DVD's that you "rent" for 24 hours. You can also download a permanent copy to your hard drive or get the DVD. It might be a way to "try on" her DVD's before you invest the full amount. Pricing seems to be tiered: the ones I peeked at were $12.50USD for the online (rent), $23USD for the download (buy soft copy), and $29USD for the DVD shipped.

see https://www.hannansultan.com/#/shop/dvds-and-online-classes/4/.

Same bias as stated above applies.

Regards,

Anala

Jujube

Interesting, Anala! I did buy 2 of her DVDs and found them thoroughly worth the money. Gorgeous, gorgeous dancer and she really breaks it down. And there were several things that I haven't seen broken down elsewhere, so I'd say hers are my favorite DVDs.

Farasha Hanem

I received this pm earlier this week on Facebook:

Hannan Sultan October 22 at 11:17am
Someone on Ebay is selling pirated copies of my DVDs. This person might as well be mugging me! I am an independant artist, so every DVD sale I make is absolutley vital to my ability to make a living. Please, if you see something on Ebay with me on it, TELL ME and please, please report them to Ebay! I am the only authorized vendor of my DVDs and downloads!

I thought I would pass this on; if you see any copies of Hannan's DVDs, please report it immediately to eBay; thank you.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

That was me -- what I think happened was that the ebay seller did the download option, and then burned them to DVD. Then he sold them to me, trying to pretend they were just used copies. I contacted her and she is trying to sue the guy, and I'm trying to get my money back for the pirated dvds.

I hate to admit this, and I WILL be buying the real thing, but I did watch the pirated DVDs. They are VERY good. I plan on picking up pretty much all of Hannan's work from now on. She is an engaging instructor and the filming quality is high. Lots of good material on the Belly one. I haven't watched the other one yet but I suspect it will be high-quality as well.

Jujube

That really sucks that someone is doing that.

Her DVDs are definitely worth buying--just be sure it's the real thing.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I know -- and it's really put me off of buying second-hand and making me feel a little guilty for it. I know the artist doesn't make money off second-hand items. I have a personal issue with this, and I don't think I'm going to be buying second-hand any more, legal copies or not!

Jujube

I know -- and it's really put me off of buying second-hand and making me feel a little guilty for it. I know the artist doesn't make money off second-hand items. I have a personal issue with this, and I don't think I'm going to be buying second-hand any more, legal copies or not!

I've thought about that before, too. But I think secondhand can be justified as a way to try something out. And the artist gets the benefit of future sales. Sort of a "loss leader" except there's no tangible loss.

LadyLoba

It's so weird this thread ended this way....I want her "Put the Belly Back in Belly Dance" and "3/4 shimmy" DVDs as downloads...and I almost bought them from someplace else...then I did a search for her, wanting to see if I like her (I do) before I paid my money...and saw that notice on her site. So I will be buying directly from her site.

I'm at an intermediate level...and I know the 3/4 shimmy is often taught on beginner DVDs (and probably classes) but I need a full set of lessons on it alone, because I just have this feeling I am doing them all wrong...and hers looks just perfect.

RayaDancer

i purchased "put the belly back in belly dance" about a month ago (download to my computer) and i was very impressed! it is excellent. my only minor complaint is not about the dvd content, but about the download to computer option. it's the first time i ever it that way, and, with my dvds i like to hop around, skip to different chapters and bypass the drills i dont feel like doing, and on the computer download, there is no menu to do that. basically you just have to fast forward, like back in the days of the VCR. :)
like i said, a minor complaint but now i know that for the next time, i would probably just prefer to get the hardcopy dvd.
but content-wise, the dvd is great for really strengthening core abdominal technique.

seona

I received this pm earlier this week on Facebook:

Hannan Sultan October 22 at 11:17am
Someone on Ebay is selling pirated copies of my DVDs. This person might as well be mugging me! I am an independant artist, so every DVD sale I make is absolutley vital to my ability to make a living. Please, if you see something on Ebay with me on it, TELL ME and please, please report them to Ebay! I am the only authorized vendor of my DVDs and downloads!

I thought I would pass this on; if you see any copies of Hannan's DVDs, please report it immediately to eBay; thank you.

Hi people, can I just clarify something here, I have a Hannan dvd that I bought recently directly from her, I want to sell it on, but have totally been put off now LOL! Hanan states here that she's the only authorized vendor of her material, but surely this dosent apply to 2nd hand??!!! :think:
thanks