Wanna Be Teacher's Pet ~ vent

GypsyStacey

Okay I know this is going to come off sounding petty but I'm annoyed. Saturday I danced at a restaurant & did two duets with a fellow class mate. We were sitting down after our dancing & I was asking if hey when we do a certain move don't we go to the left first? she was like nope, no, no, no...lol. I said well i could be wrong, & it turns out I was. I double checked my video as i tape myself & she was right.

soooo jump to last night. after we finished our bollywood class my teacher asked if I was still going to dance on July 1 I said yes I was. this other student pipes up Shanta, Stacey & i were arguing about something. umm okay didn't realize it was an argument. she then double checked about the same move do we go right first? I then said ah I doubled checked myself & you were right. of course my teacher was like that's correct start on the right. now this is what annoyed me she says very loudly 'YES I was right,' turns around & gives me this smug look little shake of the head. she decided to call me out in front of a full, very full class of students. like really was that necessary? she couldn't do it on the side quietly? call me over quietly & we could have straighten it out with our teacher in two seconds. but when she heard she was right what was with the attitude she couldn't just say oh good to know we wanted to double check for July 1. her attitude was noticeable enough that another student whispered to me what was that about. i was like i don't know.

but in looking back i see her TRYING desperately to be the teachers pet or favorite. this could just be how i'm now reading her actions. she hogs the mirror in a studio where there's not a lot of mirror. when asked if she was taking the bollywood class she was smugly saying oh i have to. i have to take the class as i dance for shanta. um so did 95% of us at the Bollywood class. i now find her desperately trying to be teacher's pet. except when you act desperate you look desperate & i think she does. my teacher doesn't treat anyone differently. she has personal friends that take her classes & she treats us all the same.

but being called out like that & embarrassed in class like that left a bad taste in my mouth. am i over reacting?

Last edited:

Shanazel

My mother would say, "Consider the source and let it go in one ear and out the other." I say, "Don't let the turkey bring you down." She behaved poorly, but blow it off and get on with your dance. If you have noticed the other student's bad attitude, so have other people and karma will catch up with her sooner or later.

GypsyStacey

yes very true. i have more than enough to worry about projecting the persona i want when dancing, practice, costumes, practice, makeup, practice, hair, practice....lol. i was just a little surprised last night.

GypsyStacey

hehehehe 'underbelly' that made me laugh cute pun, but you are right i'm better off just blowing it off. if i let it eat away at me it will only show when i dance with this lady next week.

Daimona

hehehehe 'underbelly' that made me laugh cute pun, but you are right i'm better off just blowing it off. if i let it eat away at me it will only show when i dance with this lady next week.

You must concentrate on yourself and do your best. Don't waste your time and energy thinking about her insecurities. It usually takes more guts to admit you are wrong in an argument, than gloating about it.

Shanazel

Hmm. I like to think I'm at least a little strange no matter who you compare me to. Normality is so quaint. ;)

Yshka

Hmm you were not wrong to feel like that at all. I'm going to agree and say blow it off since you have to dance with her again soon, but after the duet is done with I might seriously consider if I wanted to dance again and work so closely with somebody who treats me like that.

I think you did good by saying she was right, since that shows you hold no grudges and you definitely don't stoop to her lvel (I think there's a nicer way of putting this, but I cannot find it, darn language barrier...).

If she ever tries something like that again, just act like all is fine, she will get nothing out of it.

Edited to add: Shanazel dear, I (and I'm sure many of us) just luuuuuurve your strange self :D

Aniseteph

It sounds like she's doing a great job of showing herself up. Totally not worth wasting any energy over.

I'm going to have to start using "consider the source..." in real life. Love it.

Chani

I have encountered similar with a fellow dancer. I did try to speak to our instructor about her since she was upsetting quite a few dancers and it seemed our teacher was oblivious. It was really bringing my dancing down. Our teacher just laughed it off. So I extricated myself over time (as fast as I could without inconveniencing any other dancers) from all the dances we perform together. She thought it was wonderful as once I and other's who coudn't tolerate her attitude bailed out of those dances she got to perform them solo which is what she wanted all along and now I am able to be friendly with her without getting annoyed or sabotaged and I get to dance with only dancers I love to spend time with.

GypsyStacey

I have encountered similar with a fellow dancer. I did try to speak to our instructor about her since she was upsetting quite a few dancers and it seemed our teacher was oblivious. It was really bringing my dancing down. Our teacher just laughed it off. So I extricated myself over time (as fast as I could without inconveniencing any other dancers) from all the dances we perform together. She thought it was wonderful as once I and other's who coudn't tolerate her attitude bailed out of those dances she got to perform them solo which is what she wanted all along and now I am able to be friendly with her without getting annoyed or sabotaged and I get to dance with only dancers I love to spend time with.

it's no where near the point where i'd have to extricate myself from our group. saturday i was the only beginner student that was asked to dance at this restaurant so she was doing two duets with a beginner i wonder if she feels threatened or something by me. or just annoyed that she was stuck with a beginner. she has no reason to feel threathened her dancing is lovely. if i'm wrong i'm always going to admit it. in talking to my boyfriend i remembered something else. she asked me tuesday if i did something different with my hair. i said yeah i had it cut (it was down to the middle of my back to now below my ears). she asked oh when did you do that? ummm over a week ago. it was like this on Saturday. her reply 'oh i wouldn't notice that saturday i was performing' & she walked away. i was thinking well what was i doing washing windows :rolleyes: okay ENOUGH already....lol. she's not worth my energry or time.

gisela

Super Moderator
Well, sounds like she has issues she needs to deal with. Doesn't have to be issues with you, it could be that she is feeling bad in other areas of her life and just letting it out on you (and possibly others). Too bad. Don't let it get to you too much. I hope for her sake she sorts it out or she might end up not being particularly liked by anyone...

GypsyStacey

Well, sounds like she has issues she needs to deal with. Doesn't have to be issues with you, it could be that she is feeling bad in other areas of her life and just letting it out on you (and possibly others). Too bad. Don't let it get to you too much. I hope for her sake she sorts it out or she might end up not being particularly liked by anyone...

yup totally agree with you there.

onela

Pop some popcorn and enjoy the show. Kept at an arm's length, these people are good for a laugh and keep you on your toes!

GypsyStacey

Pop some popcorn and enjoy the show. Kept at an arm's length, these people are good for a laugh and keep you on your toes!

good attitude use it for a laugh. i'm 40 years old & still can't believe that people can't just enjoy each other for who they are, where they are at & what they represent. all the petty stuff i still get confused by.

dreamkitaro

Some people are so insecure, they need to bring some one down to "lift" themselves up. A truly secure, good person will try to support and encourage fellow dancers. They won't feel the need to bring them down. :naghty:

Corylus

Oh dear, sounds like she's come down with a touch of Diva-itis.

You have nothing to prove to anyone except yourself GypsyStacey; don't let her attitude spoil your dancing experiences. If she gets kicks out of talking down to people or making mean comments then that's a real shame.