New dancer's dad

DancersDad

Hello everyone. I'd like to introduce myself here in the forum. My name is Dusty and I'm the father of an 18 y/o daughter who has recently taken up belly dance. She has about 9 years of dance experience under her belt in ballet, tap, and jazz. So far she really loves the belly dance classes she's taking at a local gym here in our town and I'm very happy to support her in her efforts. In fact, just the day before yesterday we made a skirt and hip scarf for her as she will be performing with the class in our local 4th of July parade and so we needed a rush set up. I think we did a pretty good job with the scarf and I'll post some pics in an album on my profile page, if anyone wishes to check them out. We're hoping to make a few more outfits for her in the future.

Ok, that was a lot about my daughter, so about me . . . as I said, I'm the dad. LOL I do what I can to support my daughter in her ventures, especially those that are dance related as we are both very into the dance arts. (I took two years of ballet with her and it was probably the most awesome workout I've done.)

I'm here to learn as much about the art of belly dance as I can and to meet others who appreciate the art. My goal, of course, is to be able to support my daughter with her endeavors and so the more I can learn about it the more I can support her.

Thanks for reading this post and in advance for any/all comments. Take care.

dus'

Last edited:

GypsyStacey

wow what a great parent you are to get here & learn all you can. can't wait to check out the skirt & scarf you two made. there's lots of knowldege on this board. welcome!!

btw skirt & scarf look great. i also am making parts of my own costume it can be fun, but also addictive. there's a costume support thread in the costume section you should check it out.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Hallo and welcome!

Hope you enjoy posting on the forum and learning about the Artform!

*hugs*

PS Can you be my dad too? LOL

Gia al Qamar

WTG Dad! How blessed your daughter is to have such an engaged father!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DancersDad

Thank you all so much for your responses. I am looking forward to learning much here. GypsyStacey, I will definately check out the costume support thread that you mentioned. Reen, sure, why not? :) Gia, well, I suppose I just feel that it's a parents duty (plus, I actually do enjoy it, all the parenting stuff, I mean.) We've been a duo for all of her life, basically. Yep, raised her as a single dad. We've had one heck of a fun ride of it. Now belly dancing is just another step in that great adventure. I can't wait to see her dance in the parade on the 4th. It always makes me very proud to see her doing something she enjoys as much as she enjoys dancing.

dus'

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. - your daughter is a lucky girl to have a dad who is so supportive, down to joining ballet classes and helping create a bellydance costume. Sounds like your daughter was born to dance, glad she has found BD, it is a very 'addictive' dance:D Be prepared for many more costume making days and very likely eventually some more expensive costumes - sparklies and bling is also part of the dancers soul - especially bellydancers!:D

DancersDad

Thank you Mosaic. We have a lot of fun together. I'd like to think that my involvement with just about every aspect of her life, no, make that every aspect, has been a good part of how she's grown up to be non-smoking (though I do), and non-drinking (though I do enjoy an occasional beveridge). She's a great kid and has been an absolute joy to raise. And, yeah, we are already looking into more bling for future costumes. I enjoy sewing and she enjoys designing so we make a pretty good team. I'm pretty good at figuring out how to make something work when we're trying to assemble an article of clothing so I'm sure it'll just be another fun part of the adventure.

dus'

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you Mosaic. We have a lot of fun together. I'd like to think that my involvement with just about every aspect of her life, no, make that every aspect, has been a good part of how she's grown up to be non-smoking (though I do), and non-drinking (though I do enjoy an occasional beveridge). She's a great kid and has been an absolute joy to raise. And, yeah, we are already looking into more bling for future costumes. I enjoy sewing and she enjoys designing so we make a pretty good team. I'm pretty good at figuring out how to make something work when we're trying to assemble an article of clothing so I'm sure it'll just be another fun part of the adventure.

dus'

Wish I had a sewing Dad and designer daughter in my household, just think I could sit back and just enjoy. I can "think" of ideas, then have them created:lol:

Yes I think the two of you are going to have a fun time and very sparkly adventure!
~Mosaic

MissVega

WELCOME:)
And that is so great! YOu sound like such a wonderful dad! LOL I'm jealous, my father and I don't speak, so if you want another dancing daughter you can have a long distance one in Canada;)

Hope you enjoy the forum and enjoy your belly dance adventure with your daughter:) Have fun!

DancersDad

Thank you Mosaic and MissVega. This seems to be a very friendly site and I'm glad for that. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and you MV. Maybe one day it'll work itself out. :) Take care.

dus'

PracticalDancer

Welcome to the Forum! There is a wealth of knowledge here (and occasionally some knowledge that disagrees with the other knowledge provided! :lol:)

Because this forum is mostly from the dancer's perspective, I wanted to share another small resource from the "dancer's support group" perspective. Husband of a Belly Dancer.com is written by a friend of mine who is married to one of my favorite dancers. He started up the blog as a way to help others who may need advice or support in order to support the dancer that they love. "Mr. Aela" also welcomes contributions, so you may be able to help him add to his material over time!

Again, welcome! It is good to have you here!

Regards,

Anala

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I just took a look at the website Anala, what a great idea & will be a fab site as it becomes known, couple of good stories there already:D
~Mosaic

DancersDad

Anala,

Thanks for the link to that site. I checked it out and saved it to my fav's. I'll spend some time looking at it. :)

dus'

Farasha Hanem

Hello, Dusty, and welcome! I have a co-worker named Dusty; he's the sweetest person, and I can tell you are, too. :) We're so very glad to have you here, and I know you'll make lots of friends! :D

Here's hoping your daughter will eventually join us, too. :)

DancersDad

Awww, thanks! I try. :) I'm glad to be here and am so happy that, not being a dancer myself, I've been received so well here. Ya'll are a great bunch of folks! :) Yes, I know she's done a quick look at the site but she was in a rush with graduation stuff at the time so didn't take the little time to open an account. I believe that she intends to, though, here in the near future. :)

dus'

Hello, Dusty, and welcome! I have a co-worker named Dusty; he's the sweetest person, and I can tell you are, too. :) We're so very glad to have you here, and I know you'll make lots of friends! :D

Here's hoping your daughter will eventually join us, too. :)

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
again welcome to the group. These ladies are filled with wonderful information and don't mind sharing it.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Welcome welcome!!

You know, my Dad just saw me dance for I think the first time in ten years last weekend. He said "You put on a good show, kid!" Made me feel good. Dads are cool :)