What should I do?

Moon

Thanks again for your advice. Chryssanthi, I wish my teacher would exclude disrespectful students too. However, if these girls keep in coming to lessons, they might continue learning and some day be really good enough to perform. If they quit now, I'm sure they'll never learn.
Lydia, I'm getting confused now. I still don't know whether I should talk to my teacher or not. I don't want her too think I'm being mean or jealous, but on the other hand it just worries me. Maybe I should ask her something else, like if we're going to do a student performance again this year, because I would like to get more experienced in performing, but I don't think I'm good enough yet to go pro.

chryssanthi sahar

Dear Moon.

I think Lydia is right. Maybe it is better not to talk to your teacher directly about those two students, because there could be misunderstandings. Maybe it is better to ask her generally what she believes, about when a student is so far to be able to go pro. And as I said in my other posting, don't worry about the reputation of the dance. The audience is not stupid, they can judge better than we think;) (if they are interested in watching a good artistic performance). On the other hand, there is definitely also audience who just want to see sexy babes moving, doesn't matter if they can move or not:rolleyes: (unfortunately it is in many bouzoukia clubs in Greece like that). Those people are not interested in the dance anyway, so they don't deserve a good dancer:lol:

Moon

I thought it would be nice to let you know what I did eventually. I decided to speak with my teacher after the lesson when I could be alone with her. It was a very pleasant conversation and she was being very sweet. I started with a general question about what she thought of the average level of our group and later I just said what was on my mind, that I was a little shocked of what had happened. She told me she felt more or less the same way as I do, but she knows she doesn't have the authority to stop the girls from performing as professionals. So she told them it is important that they also must be able to show the audience a dance, not only a tanned body in a nice costume.
I was also very happy to see the girls are still joing the lessons, cause for a moment I feared they would stop because they're already "professionals".
I also told her that sometimes I almost feel like it doesn't matter how well I dance or how hard I practice, because I'll never be a tanned dancer in a sexy costume. She said that indeed some people in the audience only go for the looks, but there are a lot of people who also like to see good dancing and those can see who can really dance and who can't. She said even nice costumes will get boring soon if the dancer can't show anything besides that.
After the conversation the advanced group was in the dressing room already and the teacher asked me if I'd liked to join a lesson with the advanced group, so I danced an extra half lesson (after that I was too hungry to continue ;))
I feel so much better now! Thanks again that I could share my feelings with you all.

Last edited:

Moon

Thanks Yasmine, though I don't think it is my teacher's intention to put me officially in the advanced class. I'm not even sure if I'd want that. Despite some irritation sometimes :rolleyes: I like it in semi-advanced and I wouldn't want to go too fast and forget about important stuff like posture etc. :)

da Sage

Hi Moon,

I'm glad that you spoke to your teacher, and she set your mind at ease. :) Now you can concentrate on your dancing, and soak up everything she has to teach!:dance:

chryssanthi sahar

. She said that indeed some people in the audience only go for the looks, but there are a lot of people who also like to see good dancing and those can see who can really dance and who can't. She said even nice costumes will get boring soon if the dancer can't show anything besides that.

Exactly!!! She is so right:D As I always like to say: the audience is not stupid, even inexperienced audience can tell the difference between a good and a bad dancer;)