Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greek Bonfire View Post
    What I like about this shimmy, if I'm understanding it right, is that you can do all sorts of isolations and other fun stuff that you can't do with the basic hip shimmy.
    Actually no. I think the other shimmies are far more versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do all sorts of isolations and other fun stuff that you can't do with the basic hip shimmy.
    I've never understood why some people say that.

I find it perfectly easy to layer anything I want to over the "basic shimmy".

I think the two shimmy styles are equally easy to use in layering, it's just a question of which a given dancer personally feels more at ease doing.

Post Thanks / Like

What I like about this shimmy, if I'm understanding it right, is that you can do all sorts of isolations and other fun stuff that you can't do with the basic hip shimmy.
    There isn't anything that you can't layer on top of the ordinary shimmy. Undulations, backward figure 8s, hip circles. With both shimmies however, vertical movements are not possible. Then you would hv to swith to a glutial vibration, for example vertical figure 8s hip rotations etc. But if done correctly, both shimmies are using the same mechanics, its just that one uses a slightly taller posture and smaller range of movement in the leg muscles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    With both shimmies however, vertical movements are not possible. Then you would have to switch to a glutial vibration, for example vertical figure 8s hip rotations etc.
    Huh? I can do vertical movements with 3/4 and basic. I use a smaller range of motion and have to lift my heels, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Huh? I can do vertical movements with 3/4 and basic. I use a smaller range of motion and have to lift my heels, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.
    By basic shimmy everyone is referring to what can also be known as the "egyptian/knee shimmy"? Correct and by "straight leg" you're referring to the same shimmy but with far less knee movement and more vibration?

If my understanding is correct I would have to agree with Jane. I can do the "straight legged" shimmy and still bring my hip up and down without lifting my heels and without using my glutes to do the shimmy. Glutes are perfectly relaxed. I am using my obliques, thighs and hip flexors. Like Jane said the range of motion is smaller though..Of course there is the possibility that I have misunderstood and am confused lol which is quite possible with me lol
    Last edited by MissVega; 07-10-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to see you do it to say, especially what you call a 3/4 shimmy. Its not uncommon that what a movement is called in one area differs from what its called in another. If it is what I'm thinking, then this movement is not driven from the muscles in the legs, but the muscles in the hips themselves and that would work.

Post Thanks / Like

My 3/4 default shimmy is an old style Americanized vertical shimmy that goes:
    up/neutral/up on the right
    switch
    up/neutral/up on the left

Definite weight shift with knee flex and support through the quads. I push up through the weighted leg, but also pull up the hip with the core. Glutes are relaxed. Heels are off the ground and even more hip range of motion can come from flexed knees and a very small amt. of foot pumping action. Feet are very close together. As shimmy gets smaller, or is layered with vertical movements, glutes and other muscles tense more to support, contain the movement, and stop the reverb.

This was the second style shimmy I ever learned.

I think I'm doing my vertical movements with this when I'm stepping and/or shifting my weight. I push my hip up as I step down and release the hip down as the foot leaves the ground. Timing the weight shift and lift and drop is a bit fiddly when over thought.

My basic shimmy usually tightens into more of a freeze that looks a bit like the Egyptian straight legged shimmy. It's def. not the ESLS because the "wooble" settles in a different place and is being generated differently. Layering other movement gets done by shimmying the hips with both weighted and unweighted legs simultaneously and using the weight shift to help the non-shimmy layering movement.

Yich, this is hard to verbalize! Semantics... I've had a terrible time learning the ESLS, mine wants to default into a freeze. I *want* that Dandash perfect shimmy dang it! So beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

My 3/4 default shimmy is an old style Americanized vertical shimmy that goes:
    up/neutral/up on the right
    switch
    up/neutral/up on the left

Definite weight shift with knee flex and support through the quads. I push up through the weighted leg, but also pull up the hip with the core. Glutes are relaxed. Heels are off the ground and even more hip range of motion can come from flexed knees and a very small amt. of foot pumping action. Feet are very close together. As shimmy gets smaller, or is layered with vertical movements, glutes and other muscles tense more to support, contain the movement, and stop the reverb.

This was the second style shimmy I ever learned.

I think I'm doing my vertical movements with this when I'm stepping and/or shifting my weight. I push my hip up as I step down and release the hip down as the foot leaves the ground. Timing the weight shift and lift and drop is a bit fiddly when over thought.

My basic shimmy usually tightens into more of a freeze that looks a bit like the Egyptian straight legged shimmy. It's def. not the ESLS because the "wooble" settles in a different place and is being generated differently. Layering other movement gets done by shimmying the hips with both weighted and unweighted legs simultaneously and using the weight shift to help the non-shimmy layering movement.

Yich, this is hard to verbalize! Semantics... I've had a terrible time learning the ESLS, mine wants to default into a freeze. I *want* that Dandash perfect shimmy dang it! So beautiful!
    With some things a video is worth more than 1,000 words! With the straight leg shimmy, the reason it tenses into a freeze is because your muscles haven't developed the muscle tone to sustain the coordination. The best way to achieve this is to do the movement slowly making sure that you have the correct quality of movement. Even though its slow, you'll be developing and toning the muscles and you'll find that over time you will be able to slowly increase your speed till one day you can do it as fast as you want and not lose the integrity of your movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Yah I think I video would clear a lot of things up lol. Do you mean freeze as in stop moving all together, or freeze as in vibrating shimmy?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the main focus in straight leg on the muscles in the back of the leg (hamstrings) and the glutes???

I'm such a bad shimmier and have limited class time so I have to try to visualize how to get a stronger shimmy by watching dancer clips.

In the past I've made sure to pull my toes up and bend my knees so I can isolate the proper muscles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast