Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flutter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
    Gia - I think I see what you mean ---- Is it, to REALLY lift your rib cage out of the mix, in order to isolate the diaphragm movement from the rib cage? (In other words lifting rib cage really high, out of the flutter movement -- not as part of the movement, but to isolate that move completely, from the ribcage? So does that mean I need to work hard to keep the ribcage itself as still as possible (therefore keeping it lifted, away from the diaphragam)while the diaphragam contract/release is happening? (Oh if this is right I do hope I am finally catching on.....) Ludy--
    Yes...I think we're on the same page here! The very lifted posture is what we all aspire to...but maintaining a strong lifted ribcage will absolutely facilitate isolation of your diaphragm!
    G'head...try it!!!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Gia - that's great, thanks again for explaining. If you ever are going to be in Hawaii (I know it is far from you), our class would really like to see you here. Just a thought -- if you ever head this way, would love to take class or workshops with you -- now, off to practice those flutters some more -- Have a great day -- Ludy

Post Thanks / Like

wow, thanks a lot Gia . I'll try those advieces.

Laura

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
    Gia - that's great, thanks again for explaining. If you ever are going to be in Hawaii (I know it is far from you), our class would really like to see you here. Just a thought -- if you ever head this way, would love to take class or workshops with you -- now, off to practice those flutters some more -- Have a great day -- Ludy
    You're all very welcome...my pleasure to share!
    Hawaii huh? Ooooooo...if ever I vacation there, I'll get in contact with you and I'll have the entire population fluttering by sundown!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Gia - That sounds great.... (class on the beach at sundown, fluttering tummies all 'round....) Who knows, perhaps you will sometime -- If so please let me know!! -- Seriously, great idea -- Ludy

-- in a studio, though - on the beach, only kidding --
    Last edited by Michelle; 09-18-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: successive posts :0)

Post Thanks / Like

I can teach anywhere...beach...studio..kitchen...elevator...ac tually...I've done all those things...I live a strange life...
    Gia

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Gia...What about in the snow??? It is snowing outside right now. What about belly rolls? How can I start working on them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I tried the "rapid breathing" method, but then my breasts also start to move a little. I don't think that's supposed to be happening?
    That would suggest you are breathing using the upper part of your lungs rather than your diaphram. When you breath in your belly should expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I do my flutters with muscle control rather than breath control because that was the way I was taught, but I reckon there's nothing wrong with using your breath as long as you don't look like you are about to hyperventilate .
    And that's the problem - asking them to talk at the same time is a very good idea. Fluttering by panting is only a short term stage - you have to get past it for it to be useful.
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 11-19-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Two short posts in a row

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuteNurse View Post
    LOL Gia...What about in the snow??? It is snowing outside right now. What about belly rolls? How can I start working on them?
    It JUST started snowing here in NJ! It's the pretty fluffy 'won't keep me from my appointed rounds' kind...so it's ok for me!!!
    Belly Rolls?
    What I typically call an undulation is a contraction of THREE muscles in the abdomen, contracted, and then released, in order from top to bottom.
    There are the 'upper abs' or the muscles around the upper rib cage-diaphragm. The middle abdominal muscle is easy to isolate...when we 'pull our tummies in' this is the muscle we use. If you contract just the middle abs, you'll see the area just above your belly button move back towards your spine!
    Finally, you need to isolate the 'lower abs' or the muscles just above the pubic bone (pretend you're putting on a VERY snug pair of pants...this is what you 'suck in' to get them on!)
    OK...to get rolling...
    First contract the muscle group around the diaphragm...DON'T release! Keep holding those 'upper' abs in while you contract the middle ab muscles...again...keep both those muscle groups contracted...then...contract the 'bottom' ab group. NOW...release, in order, the top, middle and bottom. Contract, contract, contract...release, release, release. This is what gives the illusion that your abs are rolling!
    Still having trouble?
    Try this...
    Lay back on your bed...you can prop your upper body on your elbows or pillows. Try it laying down. OR...get on all-fours (like a puppy!) and try contracting and releasing these muscle groups. Why? The force of gravity will HELP you contract the muscles/release the muscles, making it easier to train!
    Try it and let me know how you make out!!!
    And...
    Keep practicing!!!
    Gia

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin That sounds fun the flutter,

The flutter is an easy movement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast