Flutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gia al Qamar

Gia - I think I see what you mean ---- Is it, to REALLY lift your rib cage out of the mix, in order to isolate the diaphragm movement from the rib cage? (In other words lifting rib cage really high, out of the flutter movement -- not as part of the movement, but to isolate that move completely, from the ribcage? So does that mean I need to work hard to keep the ribcage itself as still as possible (therefore keeping it lifted, away from the diaphragam)while the diaphragam contract/release is happening? (Oh if this is right I do hope I am finally catching on.....) Ludy--

Yes...I think we're on the same page here! The very lifted posture is what we all aspire to...but maintaining a strong lifted ribcage will absolutely facilitate isolation of your diaphragm!
G'head...try it!!!
Gia

Ludmilla

Gia - that's great, thanks again for explaining. If you ever are going to be in Hawaii (I know it is far from you), our class would really like to see you here. Just a thought -- if you ever head this way, would love to take class or workshops with you -- now, off to practice those flutters some more -- Have a great day -- Ludy

Gia al Qamar

Gia - that's great, thanks again for explaining. If you ever are going to be in Hawaii (I know it is far from you), our class would really like to see you here. Just a thought -- if you ever head this way, would love to take class or workshops with you -- now, off to practice those flutters some more -- Have a great day -- Ludy

You're all very welcome...my pleasure to share!
Hawaii huh? Ooooooo...if ever I vacation there, I'll get in contact with you and I'll have the entire population fluttering by sundown!
Gia

Ludmilla

Gia - That sounds great.... (class on the beach at sundown, fluttering tummies all 'round....) Who knows, perhaps you will sometime -- If so please let me know!! -- Seriously, great idea -- Ludy

-- in a studio, though - on the beach, only kidding --

Last edited by a moderator:

Gia al Qamar

I can teach anywhere...beach...studio..kitchen...elevator...actually...I've done all those things...I live a strange life...:D
Gia

KuteNurse

LOL Gia...What about in the snow??? It is snowing outside right now. What about belly rolls? How can I start working on them?

Kashmir

I tried the "rapid breathing" method, but then my breasts also start to move a little. I don't think that's supposed to be happening?
That would suggest you are breathing using the upper part of your lungs rather than your diaphram. When you breath in your belly should expand.

I do my flutters with muscle control rather than breath control because that was the way I was taught, but I reckon there's nothing wrong with using your breath as long as you don't look like you are about to hyperventilate:) .
And that's the problem - asking them to talk at the same time is a very good idea. Fluttering by panting is only a short term stage - you have to get past it for it to be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gia al Qamar

LOL Gia...What about in the snow??? It is snowing outside right now. What about belly rolls? How can I start working on them?

It JUST started snowing here in NJ! It's the pretty fluffy 'won't keep me from my appointed rounds' kind...so it's ok for me!!!
Belly Rolls?
What I typically call an undulation is a contraction of THREE muscles in the abdomen, contracted, and then released, in order from top to bottom.
There are the 'upper abs' or the muscles around the upper rib cage-diaphragm. The middle abdominal muscle is easy to isolate...when we 'pull our tummies in' this is the muscle we use. If you contract just the middle abs, you'll see the area just above your belly button move back towards your spine!
Finally, you need to isolate the 'lower abs' or the muscles just above the pubic bone (pretend you're putting on a VERY snug pair of pants...this is what you 'suck in' to get them on!)
OK...to get rolling...
First contract the muscle group around the diaphragm...DON'T release! Keep holding those 'upper' abs in while you contract the middle ab muscles...again...keep both those muscle groups contracted...then...contract the 'bottom' ab group. NOW...release, in order, the top, middle and bottom. Contract, contract, contract...release, release, release. This is what gives the illusion that your abs are rolling!
Still having trouble?
Try this...
Lay back on your bed...you can prop your upper body on your elbows or pillows. Try it laying down. OR...get on all-fours (like a puppy!) and try contracting and releasing these muscle groups. Why? The force of gravity will HELP you contract the muscles/release the muscles, making it easier to train!
Try it and let me know how you make out!!!
And...
Keep practicing!!!
Gia

Moon

Kashmir said:
That would suggest you are breathing using the upper part of your lungs rather than your diaphram. When you breath in your belly should expand.
It does when I'm breathing normally, but when I'm breathing very fast I can't totally breath in, if that makes sense?

Rita said:
The flutter is an easy movement.
Ehm, no it isn't.

PriscillaAdum

I don't have lower abs! :( :( Everything seems to be stuck to my middle abs. I felt around for them I swear it, but they were nowhere to be found. I must be a freak of nature. I'm missing a set of abs. waaaahhhh...
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Regards
Priscilla

Finally, you need to isolate the 'lower abs' or the muscles just above the pubic bone (pretend you're putting on a VERY snug pair of pants...this is what you 'suck in' to get them on!)
Gia

Last edited:

Gia al Qamar

I don't have lower abs! :( :( Everything seems to be stuck to my middle abs. I felt around for them I swear it, but they were nowhere to be found. I must be a freak of nature. I'm missing a set of abs. waaaahhhh...
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Regards
Priscilla

LOLOL! Nice try! But you do have em...you probably just haven't developed this muscle group and need to do so to execute MANY moves...not just flutters...but also full body undulations, hip work and, most importantly, mainting proper lower body alignment when dancing!!!
Try this...lay on a carpeted surface, completely flat, then bend your knees and put your feet on the floor...try to curl your pubic bone towards your navel using ONLY your abs. It may only be a slight movement...but you'll feel the muscle group working...
Gia

Last edited:

KuteNurse

It JUST started snowing here in NJ! It's the pretty fluffy 'won't keep me from my appointed rounds' kind...so it's ok for me!!!
Belly Rolls?
What I typically call an undulation is a contraction of THREE muscles in the abdomen, contracted, and then released, in order from top to bottom.
There are the 'upper abs' or the muscles around the upper rib cage-diaphragm. The middle abdominal muscle is easy to isolate...when we 'pull our tummies in' this is the muscle we use. If you contract just the middle abs, you'll see the area just above your belly button move back towards your spine!
OK...to get rolling...
First contract the muscle group around the diaphragm...DON'T release! Keep holding those 'upper' abs in while you contract the middle ab muscles...again...keep both those muscle groups contracted...then...contract the 'bottom' ab group. NOW...release, in order, the top, middle and bottom. Contract, contract, contract...release, release, release. This is what gives the illusion that your abs are rolling!
Still having trouble?
Try this...
Lay back on your bed...you can prop your upper body on your elbows or pillows. Try it laying down. OR...get on all-fours (like a puppy!) and try contracting and releasing these muscle groups. Why? The force of gravity will HELP you contract the muscles/release the muscles, making it easier to train!
Try it and let me know how you make out!!!
And...
Keep practicing!!!
Gia

Thankyou Gia! I tried it and it must take time to get it...Practice over and over and over? I will try again tomorrow and someday I will get it! lol:)

Eccaia

It took me about 4 months of constantly feeling like I was trying to make myself throw up before finally understanding how to do a flutter :) If you can do a bellyroll first I've found that really helped me a lot in understanding what portion of my stomach I want to flutter and what muscles are involved. While bellyrolls and flutters are two whole different movements, the similarities go hand-in-hand :)

When learning how to do a flutter, it finally "clicked" when I was being tickled REALLY hard one day. I put my hand on my stomach as I concentrated in expressing my laughter from my stomach area to lift and raise my stomach instead of lifting my shoulders when I use my chest to laugh. When I felt my stomach rapidly go up and down as I was laughing, I finally understood that's what I flutter is supposed to feel like :)

Being ticklish I suppose ended up being a blessing in disguise in this case :)

adiemus

Why would you want to do a flutter? It is one movement I just don't get! I can understand the need to know where the muscles are, how to move them (eg posture, undulations etc), but really I don't like the flutter. Am I odd? (don't answer that OK???!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.