Bellydance teachers in South Dakota

Yshka

Hi all,

my friend will be moving to South Dakota in a couple of weeks and would love to continue bellydance there. Would anyone be able to recommend any teachers in the area? I'm uncertain where she will be based, but anything is helpful.

Thanks so much in advance!

shiradotnet

Hi Yshka! South Dakota is a HUGE state! Do you happen to know which city she is moving to?

I sometimes go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota for family reasons, and I have met some of the dancers who live there. But if your friend will be living in a different city, she might find Sioux Falls too far to go.

Also, what belly dance style does your friend prefer?

da Sage

Hi all,

my friend will be moving to South Dakota in a couple of weeks and would love to continue bellydance there. Would anyone be able to recommend any teachers in the area? I'm uncertain where she will be based, but anything is helpful.

Thanks so much in advance!

South Dakota is next to Minnesota...she could drive over and visit Cassandra. :cool: But she probably won't want to do that every week.

There must be dancers in South Dakota, but I don't know any of them. Sorry to be less than helpful.:(

Yshka

Dear da sage and Shira, thanks anyway for your reply! :) I also found out Mirah Ammal is in Minneapolis. The Minnesota area has quite a few dancers, but I learned today she'll be in Rapid City, which has only one gipsy school which doesn't interest her since she's very much a cabaret style girl, and something I found in Salome's dancer directory called Kisa, but I cannot find out more about that. I hope she'd be able to drive around for privates or intensives though. I'll ask her.

Last edited:

teela

Advice for your friend. If there are no teachers around, find the closest ones in Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska or Colorado and plan on taking a private once or twice a month from someone. Go to Workshops whenever she can and use Dvd's the rest of the time. The dvds are great for keeping skills up but the lessons will help her progress.

shiradotnet

Rapid City? Wow, that's pretty rural. It's a good 5-hour drive from Sioux Falls, which is where the dancers I know are.

This page on my web site lists some South Dakota dancers, including one in Rapid City: Find Belly Dancing Teachers and Performers in South Dakota, U.S.A.! Belly Dance Lessons and Dancers! Search for Belly Dancers!

I know that Annibelli in Sioux Falls tends to focus on Egyptian style. I'm not familiar with Carol (the one listed in Rapid City), so I can't comment on what style she might be.

Perhaps your friend could contact Annibelli to see whether she knows of any teachers near Rapid City whose style suit what she's looking for.

Yshka

Dear Shira and Reenie, no, I'm not moving haha, but I'm quite sad that my friend is. She has to, but we love her dearly and will miss her so damn much here.

I'm secretly praying for a miracle :pray:.

Wow, just checked the map, it is quite rural indeed. I will pass on this info to her and send her the link to this thread. Thanks for helping out ladies!! Keep information coming if you have any!

da Sage

Rapid City is a looong way from Minneapolis. So she won't be commuting to classes here.

I would recommend that your friend check out the air force base as well as local community ed when she arrives. It's possible there might be a recently-transplanted teacher or like-minded dancer. Also, she could look on Bhuz, or consider starting a meet-up group.

Yshka

Dear da Sage, yes, the base is where she will be moving, so that's why looking in and outside of it is definitely an option. She's a fantastic dancer, but she doesn't feel like teaching for now and instead would like to find a good teacher in the area to study with. Thanks for the input!!:)

Edit: Wow, Minneapolis IS far! Here in Holland, you can reach the other side of the country with a 2 hour drive.... :lol:

Shanazel

Rapid City? Wow, that's pretty rural.

Are you kidding? Rapid Citypasses for a teeming metropolis in this part of the country! :lol: Dearest Shira, next time you go to Rapid, call me and I'll show you rural.

shiradotnet

Are you kidding? Rapid City passes for a teeming metropolis in this part of the country! Dearest Shira, next time you go to Rapid, call me and I'll show you rural.

Shanazel, I'm laughing. You see, I actually do know what rural is, because I grew up on an Iowa farm 3 miles from the nearest town. The nearest movie theater showing first-run movies was an hour's drive away. And I realize that there are other places much sparser than that.

What I meant is that South Dakota is one of those huge states that has sparse populations in small towns in between its major cities, and Rapid City is a 3-4 hours-drive from the nearest large city.

So, if you're familiar with Rapid City, do you know of any belly dance teachers there that you could suggest to Yshka's friend?