Greetings from NC!

Ariadne*

Greetings all! I'm Ariana and I am 21 years old. I'm brand new to belly dancing and hope to start classes this fall. My mother was a belly dancer in her youth, so I grew up hearing about it. I'm not the most graceful or coordinated person, and am considerably "detached" from my own body, but I am hoping that belly dance will help to connect me more (and get me back in shape!).

If there is anything I should know as a beginning dancer, please feel free to share!!!
:D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum, Lucky you having a Mum who was a dancer, I am sure she can give some advice, maybe once she sees you dancing she will want to start again:D

As for advice for a beginner, just go to classes with an open heart and mind, I am sure you will find at classes once you get through that initial new person feeling (probably no more than 1/2 way through the class:D) that you are more connected to your body than you realise.

You can search the forum for threads which may have information for beginner dancers. Try searching for beginner dancer or a variation of the words. But don't hesitate to ask questions if you can't find answers.
~Mosaic

PracticalDancer

Welcome, Ariadne*!

Welcome to the forum and to the dance. I will hold my advice related to dance until I know you better; but, I will share some advice about the forum so that you avoid issues. The thread http://www.bellydanceforums.net/chat-about-web-site/11224-stolen-identity.html#post140887 talks about issues when two users have the same user name (same letters in same order), but one has a symbol. Since there is another Ariadne (no asterisk), I wanted to let you know about the bug before it became a problem for you. I can get to your profile now, so it may not be an issue.

Again, welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Regards,

Anala

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome, Ariadne*!

Welcome to the forum and to the dance. I will hold my advice related to dance until I know you better; but, I will share some advice about the forum so that you avoid issues. The thread http://www.bellydanceforums.net/chat-about-web-site/11224-stolen-identity.html#post140887 talks about issues when two users have the same user name (same letters in same order), but one has a symbol. Since there is another Ariadne (no asterisk), I wanted to let you know about the bug before it became a problem for you. I can get to your profile now, so it may not be an issue.

Again, welcome and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Regards,

Anala

Good reminder Anala, I had forgotten about that. Yes the other Ariadne has been a member for a long time, so if the system decided that it can't 'see' your name, it will go to the first Ariadne's profile. Ariana, Salome can change your user name if there are problems.
~Mosaic

DancersDad

Welcome Ariadne*! Can't blame ya for missing CA. I love the west coast myself. My daughter started BD classes this year and she absolutely loves it. Go to classes and have fun. :)

dus'

nightdancer

My advice for beginners-

1) Go slow. You're not going to learn overnight.

2) Yes, there are going to be girls in class that are better than you. However, there are going to be girls in class looking at you wishing they could "do it like you do".

3) Whatever "it" is, you will have an "it". There are going to be movements, poses, accents, something, that you are going to do better than others. Remember "it" when you have a hard time learning something else.

4) Don't get caught up in the costume drama. A great costume doesnt make a great dancer. All you really need right now is a hip scarf you can feel, and something your teacher can see you move in. The rest will come.

5) Write down your drills at the end of class. At my advanced age, I have a mind like a rusty steel trap. If I do not write them down at the end of class. "We did this, this and this." I am not going to remember by the time I hit the car, and I am not going to go home and practice--because I cant remember what to practice.

Oh ooh, I almost forgot. You have some really great BD groups in NC. Take advantage of that. Hanan Sultan, Blue Moon, and Twisted Dance Studios are three just off the top of my head.

Hope these help.

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Oh ooh, I almost forgot. You have some really great BD groups in NC. Take advantage of that. Hanan Sultan, Blue Moon, and Twisted Dance Studios are three just off the top of my head.

Hope these help.

And Sharifa Asmar, Yasmine, Belly Revelations are also good teachers and contacts. (Apologies to anyone I left off -- still working on 1st cup of coffee.) Have you found North Carolina Belly Dance yet? It is a wonderful resource for teacher, workshop, and event info.

Regards,

Anala