recognising Bull****

Shanazel

I confess some stuff does go right over my head and I merrily tool along until I read something like this thread and decide I'd better go back and reread stuff. Other times I simply can't resist poking a stick into dubious matters just to see what happens. A failure of character, no doubt, but still better than pulling wings off flies.

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I know you have a right to say so, that is why I didn't say you don't. What I said is that you should point out who it is rather than leave it in the fog and leave it to others to try and figure it out themselves. If someone was openly accusing me on the board I would sooner want them to strait out say it rather than hid in the shadows by not stating my name. It can't be solved unless someone blatantly asks.

Also it is your perspective as I don't see myself being mocked at all. Then again I'm at the mind frame that I don't care if people mock me and I don't let it get to me at all.

I've recently had a pm conversation with Shira about this thread and I've pointed out reasons, from my experiences, that are plausible and could very well explain what is going on here. However if someone is not exposed to the homosexual community they might not know or realize this is what is going on. I can see how those here who don't know about this can see it as coming across as being a troll.

I agree with Reen.Blom. I frankly don't mind spending the 5 minutes to respond in case this is actually not a person trolling. They are not getting any sort of reaction out of me that I wouldn't give to any real person in asking the same question.

If it is a troll as you say, who knows if there is some real person as a guest on this page who is in a same position for real? The answers to the questions would still give everyone a new perspectives and some extra knowledge that might not have been shared if it wasn't asked, troll or not.

Now with this all stated, in my own personal opinion this thread smells of junior/high school antics by speaking in code/language so that the one they are talking about won't know right away or at all. If I joined this forum right now and read this thread I would be turned off by it. If this 'troll' does turn out to be a real person I think they could be very hurt by this thread or are hurt by it right now because they read it and figured you are talking about them.

If you wanted to discuss the 'trolls' 'trolling behavior' 'letting other know of a possible troll' so that others may learn and discuss it, there are many other ways you could have gone about it without making it sound like I'm back in school again. But that is my personal opinion.

There are other threads that have caused controversy here recently, Cheart, one of them being the Saidi and Kaya thread from earlier this year, which is now in the Debate forum. It seems that Saidi and Kaya is still a sore topic, if I've read the recent one in the YouTube forum right. In the thread that's in the Debate, there was a lot of anger and war-waging, which I was a part of, I'm ashamed to say. :( I don't know if that's the main thread that Caroline is meaning, but that's what I'm thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, Caroline.

In the other Saidi and Kaya thread, a lot of us were accused of being small-minded haters, which sent my own temper soaring through the roof, so much so that I banned a couple of people as a result. They were reinstated, which makes me wonder why would they make new identities for themselves, if indeed they did so. :think: Anyway, I do feel as you, though, I think it's best to be honest and upfront and name the person(s) being referred to, but I'm thinking that the reason why none of us have so far is that we're lacking hard-core evidence. I hope my response here has not angered or hurt anyone. It's just that I'm recovering from a very recent situation in my church where I strongly feel that honesty and forthrightness were not employed, and I was all alone in my feelings.

One other thing I know is that I'm no paragon of wisdom, but even though I get upset with someone from time to time, I believe with all my heart that honest, open communication should help and heal relationships. It does feel like there might be trolls among us, but I can't prove it. I wish I knew how to best handle situations like this, but unfortunately, I don't, which really sucks lemons since I'm one of the moderators here. :(

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

It's the nature of the beast with these forums.

If I wrote on a forum and someone accused me of being a troll, then I would pm them and introduce myself. If I was so shy and retiring that I would run away then I doubt I could have written so many bold threads in the first place.

If you want to remain totally anonymous and then post threads which are to most.. a deliberate wind up, then expect whatever comes to you.

I have noticed one or two popping up here of late and then disappear again.

This is the last I will say about it as even this thread gives them the attention they so very desire and need. :rolleyes:

PS and yes, IP addresses can be set up in any country now... explaining how will only create more 'new characters'! :lol:

jahbie

But if they just accused "somebody" of being a troll, then you couldn't be sure it was you that they meant could you?

It's the nature of the beast with these forums.

If I wrote on a forum and someone accused me of being a troll, then I would pm them and introduce myself. If I was so shy and retiring that I would run away then I doubt I could have written so many bold threads in the first place.

If you want to remain totally anonymous and then post threads which are to most.. a deliberate wind up, then expect whatever comes to you.

I have noticed one or two popping up here of late and then disappear again.

This is the last I will say about it as even this thread gives them the attention they so very desire and need. :rolleyes:

PS and yes, IP addresses can be set up in any country now... explaining how will only create more 'new characters'! :lol:

Farasha Hanem

Let's just hope that things will quiet down across the board. Whoever said that even threads like this "feed the trolls" has an excellent point. Perhaps all of us should just take a deep breath and remain calm so that there aren't hurt feelings on this thread. I say this with all love and concern for our board, I can't see any good coming out of all this, so it might be best to retire from this thread.

Caroline_afifi

In response to Jahbie..

possibly.. or possibly not.

That all depends on the mood of the puppet master/mistress.

Last edited:

lizaj

Frankly I think it's useful for members who are new to internet forum to be aware of the sad shenaghans of some. What is and is not possible regarding hiding one's true identity.
Many people pefer for their real everyday name never to appear on a forum and there is many a good reason for that but others prefer to adopt a whole new personality and usually the reason for that is to cause dissent,poke fun. Spotting these people is often very easy..they come in with an extreme view or case which is very easy to be wary of.
No one is asking members to suspect every new member (tho' some of us are that paranoid:lol:) but if you do read issues which seem inappopriately inflammatory, it's best not to respond how ever much fun that might be.Many of these people are very practised and very thoughtful and always have an answer then eventually they turn to the abuse they really feel. Sad but true..they cannot get a life.:rolleyes::(

Aniseteph

IMO most of the K&S UR a jellus h8er shenanigans is just fangurls - yawn.

And I'm in the poke it with a stick camp with Shanazel. :redface:

I hope that everyone takes people at face value to start with, but you have more than face value to go on once someone starts posting. It's lovely of people to want to help, but IMO if someone genuine is going to be traumatised by my suspicion that they might be a troll taking the p***, or by the idea that people might talk about their posts, then they want to get their sensitive little self off internet forums ASAP. People are free to talk about stuff and that includes you (generic) and your words of wisdom/ silly opinions/ and internet persona that you choose to make public.

I don't think anyone is being high-schooly and coded, it's just people with experience and mod-power trying to raise awareness without upsetting the forum too much. If you don't know what someone is on about and it's bothering you just PM them and ask, they are nice people.

Farasha Hanem

IMO most of the K&S UR a jellus h8er shenanigans is just fangurls - yawn.

And I'm in the poke it with a stick camp with Shanazel. :redface:

I hope that everyone takes people at face value to start with, but you have more than face value to go on once someone starts posting. It's lovely of people to want to help, but IMO if someone genuine is going to be traumatised by my suspicion that they might be a troll taking the p***, or by the idea that people might talk about their posts, then they want to get their sensitive little self off internet forums ASAP. People are free to talk about stuff and that includes you (generic) and your words of wisdom/ silly opinions/ and internet persona that you choose to make public.

I don't think anyone is being high-schooly and coded, it's just people with experience and mod-power trying to raise awareness without upsetting the forum too much. If you don't know what someone is on about and it's bothering you just PM them and ask, they are nice people.

Okay, now I understand. Thank you, Anisteph. :)

I am glad that we have people here, both mods and non-mods, who love this forum and care about the community. Thank you for staying on top of things (which is more than I can say for myself :confused: ).

Reen.Blom

What it comes down to...

is that if the IP address is different you cant pinpoint the person.

You can suspect, guess, speculate.... But you cant prove it. So until found guilty, the person is innocent.

Until they break the forum rules they are a genuine member in my eyes.

If I was accused of being a troll I would not start proving to the world who I am, I would just leave.

IMHO if you dislike the topics, ignore them. I did not find them insulting, just immature. Maybe some of them are not quite for this board but the person is asking for help, so help if you can, if not just let them be.

I really dont understand why cast stones at someone? There are board rules, so if they are broken - person banned. End of story.

Corylus

Hello all, here are my two cents:

1) I have no idea how to look at IP addresses although I do understand that they can be used to track members and hence you can tell if members who have been banned are cropping up under a new name etc.

2) Some of this, as others have also said, goes completely over my head. Sometimes I can spot threads which are blatantly or potentially inflammatory. I tread these with caution so as not to 'throw petrol onto the fire' so to speak. Other times, I would have absolutely no idea that someone could be a 'troll'.

3) It concerns me that in some cases threads aren't started with the intention of causing things to get heated but some topics just inevitably do; This could lead people to be branded 'trolls' when they aren't; they just don't realise that the topic they want to discuss will cause controversy.

For example, Sadie & Kaya threads and Shakira threads.

MissVega recently started a Sadie & Kaya thread (hope you don't mind me mentioning your thread MissVega, it's just to illustrate my point) but I wholeheartedly believe that she had no intention of making an inflammatory thread; it just went that way because people are so divided over liking or disliking them. However, I only believe that she was not trying to start an inflammatory thread because she posts regularly and it is not her nature to try and cause ructions.

But, what's to say if a new member or a guest posts a thread about Sadie & Kaya or Shakira that they are intentionally starting a heated debate or being a 'troll'? The only point I am trying to make here is one that has been made before: It's important not to immediately assume people, especially new members, are trolls.

4) I agree that some people do join or post to get people to react. If that's how they wish to spend their time... :confused: I agree with Reen.Blom, if they break the rules then they are out. Unless they get banned, even if they are immensely irritating, then they have as much right to be here as we do.

Each to your own in terms of how you deal with them.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hello all, here are my two cents:

1) I have no idea how to look at IP addresses although I do understand that they can be used to track members and hence you can tell if members who have been banned are cropping up under a new name etc.

2) Some of this, as others have also said, goes completely over my head. Sometimes I can spot threads which are blatantly or potentially inflammatory. I tread these with caution so as not to 'throw petrol onto the fire' so to speak. Other times, I would have absolutely no idea that someone could be a 'troll'.

3) It concerns me that in some cases threads aren't started with the intention of causing things to get heated but some topics just inevitably do; This could lead people to be branded 'trolls' when they aren't; they just don't realise that the topic they want to discuss will cause controversy.

For example, Sadie & Kaya threads and Shakira threads.

MissVega recently started a Sadie & Kaya thread (hope you don't mind me mentioning your thread MissVega, it's just to illustrate my point) but I wholeheartedly believe that she had no intention of making an inflammatory thread; it just went that way because people are so divided over liking or disliking them. However, I only believe that she was not trying to start an inflammatory thread because she posts regularly and it is not her nature to try and cause ructions.

But, what's to say if a new member or a guest posts a thread about Sadie & Kaya or Shakira that they are intentionally starting a heated debate or being a 'troll'? The only point I am trying to make here is one that has been made before: It's important not to immediately assume people, especially new members, are trolls.

4) I agree that some people do join or post to get people to react. If that's how they wish to spend their time... :confused: I agree with Reen.Blom, if they break the rules then they are out. Unless they get banned, even if they are immensely irritating, then they have as much right to be here as we do.

Each to your own in terms of how you deal with them.

I so want to make it clear, new members are not automatically looked at with suspicion. If anyone comes on board with the intent to cause trouble it is not always immediately clear and posts are generally answered like anyone else's. Sometimes red flags are raised then it may be cause for moderators to watch and assess the situation.

Yes if a banned member uses the same provider it is more than likely the IP address will be the same, but if they chose to (for instance) go to an internet cafe then you may not be able to know if it is the same person or if they chose to use a program that changes an IP address then they can be a whole new identity. Some people do strange things and why they do I have no idea. But the moderators are here to try to keep everyone happy and maintain a safe forum, we do our best to sort out problems if they arise. Yes sometimes things can get heated, but we are a large group of people from all walks of life, many countries and cultures and there will be ruffled feathers at times, but overall I believe this forum is a welcoming and friendly place.

I think it is time to let this thread fade away, I think a lot of people are getting concerned when things are under control here
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Ah so I might have figured out the wrong person for this thread then. I didn't even know about those other threads because I'll admit I don't look at every thread that is on this board. But I'm done here now, said what needed to be said. *pops off to those other threads to see what is what*

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I think there is such a thing as constructive criticism and even constructive thoughts. But feeding the troll is definitely non-productive and I'll admit I learned the hard way to stop doing that. Life is too short.

Venting is good too and sometimes righteous indignation is necessary. Knowing when and how to vent that way too is also a learned behavior. I guess what I am saying is that there is a season for even these things.

Farasha Hanem

I think there is such a thing as constructive criticism and even constructive thoughts. But feeding the troll is definitely non-productive and I'll admit I learned the hard way to stop doing that. Life is too short.

Venting is good too and sometimes righteous indignation is necessary. Knowing when and how to vent that way too is also a learned behavior. I guess what I am saying is that there is a season for even these things.

It's like my grandmother used to seay, "Pick and choose your battles." Stand up for what worth standing up for, and just let the rest blow over. :)

Corylus

Yes sometimes things can get heated, but we are a large group of people from all walks of life, many countries and cultures and there will be ruffled feathers at times, but overall I believe this forum is a welcoming and friendly place.

Agreed.

I've no qualms with things getting heated. That's the beauty of having different opinions; sometimes people are bound to disagree with each other.

Overall I'd agree that the forum is a friendly welcoming place.

Reen.Blom

Ah so I might have figured out the wrong person for this thread then. I didn't even know about those other threads because I'll admit I don't look at every thread that is on this board. But I'm done here now, said what needed to be said. *pops off to those other threads to see what is what*

I think you finured right cos its about several cases.... All obviously very talented with IP changing.... :lol::lol::lol:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Though one does not have to be talented, all they need to be is talented to be able to download a program that pirates ip's from other legit places. Usually they end up doublebacking on buisness ip's.