recognising Bull****

Caroline_afifi

Do members of this forum not recognise when someone joins the forum just to mock them?

Someone is bouncing between the forums setting up IP addresses in various countries and the only way to end it is to recognise it and then not indulge.

I have made these mistakes myself on one or two occasions.

Reen.Blom

For whatever reason they do it, i dont mind anyone voicing their opinions. must matter ALOT to them to jusp through firy hoops to do it. Let folks vent. As long as they stay decent and polite no need to fuss. :)

Yshka

Though guilty of it myself as well in the past, I've kind of had it with troll-feeding and one-thread-flies.

Thank you, dear Caroline! I hope this helps people understand when it is actually happening.

DancersDad

I have to admit that I am oblivious to what this post is referring. Perhaps a more in-depth description or explanation could be helpful? I know I'm not the most computer conversant individual on the planet but there must be others, like me, who don't follow a lot of the apparently common computer things. Thanks. :)

dus'

jahbie

Me too.

I have to admit that I am oblivious to what this post is referring. Perhaps a more in-depth description or explanation could be helpful? I know I'm not the most computer conversant individual on the planet but there must be others, like me, who don't follow a lot of the apparently common computer things. Thanks. :)

dus'

Yshka

Dear Jahbie and Dus, if you followed some of the recent discussion, you might sense some posts were meant to push some serious buttons. Caroline (correct me if I'm wrong :)) is merely asking us te be aware of those when we see them, so not to give them 'more rope'.

lizaj

Dear Jahbie and Dus, if you followed some of the recent discussion, you might sense some posts were meant to push some serious buttons. Caroline (correct me if I'm wrong :)) is merely asking us te be aware of those when we see them, so not to give them 'more rope'.

Indeed..it might seem fun to push back, it might seem these deserve to be told what's what but in the end, the best is to ignore and let them go away and chortle amongst their friends abut how clever they are.:rolleyes:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I haven't noticed any threads but then again normal members don't have the ability to see IP addresses and thus don't know who you are referring to.

frankly, if you are going to accuses someone who is spamming or posting to cause problems then you should say who they are out right rather than make the rest of us in the forum try to guess and figure out who you are referring to. If you are asking us to figure out what this style is or how to recognize bull then you should show us what exactly it is you are talking about because frankly my level of bull is probably vastly different from what you consider bull and both are different from everyone else.

By asking people to figure it out themselves you are opening up the possibly that they 'figure' out the wrong person and then don't treat them like any real person should be treated no matter what their posting style is like. Some people very well might be honestly trying but they are pinging your bull radar where someone else it might not. Humanity is different and people act differently and think differently, unless is is blatantly slap in your face spamming then I give them the benefit of the doubt and time to learn before thinking bull.

Now the person I think you are thinking of I don't think is writing bull. I think they are trying and this is a learning experience for them. I would be horribly sad and angry if people stop responding to the threads or questions based on your suggestion here to and it turns out to be a real person and not someone out to spam or on purpose cause trouble.

Last edited:

Caroline_afifi

I haven't noticed any threads but then again normal members don't have the ability to see IP addresses and thus don't know who you are referring to.

frankly, if you are going to accuses someone who is spamming or posting to cause problems then you should say who they are out right rather than make the rest of us in the forum try to guess and figure out who you are referring to. If you are asking us to figure out what this style is or how to recognize bull then you should show us what exactly it is you are talking about because frankly my level of bull is probably vastly different from what you consider bull and both are different from everyone else.

By asking people to figure it out themselves you are opening up the possibly that they 'figure' out the wrong person and then don't treat them like any real person should be treated no matter what their posting style is like. Some people very well might be honestly trying but they are pinging your bull radar where someone else it might not. Humanity is different and people act differently and think differently, unless is is blatantly slap in your face spamming then I give them the benefit of the doubt and time to learn before thinking bull.

Now the person I think you are thinking of I don't think is writing bull. I think they are trying and this is a learning experience for them. I would be horribly sad and angry if people stop responding to the threads or questions based on your suggestion here to and it turns out to be a real person and not someone out to spam or on purpose cause trouble.

I am more 'saddened' by the fact that I can see people being openly mocked... and I have the right to say so, and people have the right to ignore it.

I think there are alot of good natured people on these forums so it is not pleasant to see idiots taking advantage of this for their own entertainment.

You can do as you wish... people on forums alert others all of the time and sometimes that includes me.

Darshiva

If this is about who I think it's about then the posts struck me as a troll from the word go, which is why I haven't participated. I'm not in the habit of feeding trolls.

Reen.Blom

I think it will really do much more harm if a genuine person is treated as a troll, than if all the good natured forum members spend 5 min of their time responding.

Give this person the benefit of doubt. It might be a vital matter. Might not. But friendly guidance will not be wasted on other lurkers who are looking for answers to similar questions.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I am more 'saddened' by the fact that I can see people being openly mocked... and I have the right to say so, and people have the right to ignore it.

I know you have a right to say so, that is why I didn't say you don't. What I said is that you should point out who it is rather than leave it in the fog and leave it to others to try and figure it out themselves. If someone was openly accusing me on the board I would sooner want them to strait out say it rather than hid in the shadows by not stating my name. It can't be solved unless someone blatantly asks.

Also it is your perspective as I don't see myself being mocked at all. Then again I'm at the mind frame that I don't care if people mock me and I don't let it get to me at all.

I think there are alot of good natured people on these forums so it is not pleasant to see idiots taking advantage of this for their own entertainment.

You can do as you wish... people on forums alert others all of the time and sometimes that includes me.

I've recently had a pm conversation with Shira about this thread and I've pointed out reasons, from my experiences, that are plausible and could very well explain what is going on here. However if someone is not exposed to the homosexual community they might not know or realize this is what is going on. I can see how those here who don't know about this can see it as coming across as being a troll.

I agree with Reen.Blom. I frankly don't mind spending the 5 minutes to respond in case this is actually not a person trolling. They are not getting any sort of reaction out of me that I wouldn't give to any real person in asking the same question.

If it is a troll as you say, who knows if there is some real person as a guest on this page who is in a same position for real? The answers to the questions would still give everyone a new perspectives and some extra knowledge that might not have been shared if it wasn't asked, troll or not.

Now with this all stated, in my own personal opinion this thread smells of junior/high school antics by speaking in code/language so that the one they are talking about won't know right away or at all. If I joined this forum right now and read this thread I would be turned off by it. If this 'troll' does turn out to be a real person I think they could be very hurt by this thread or are hurt by it right now because they read it and figured you are talking about them.

If you wanted to discuss the 'trolls' 'trolling behavior' 'letting other know of a possible troll' so that others may learn and discuss it, there are many other ways you could have gone about it without making it sound like I'm back in school again. But that is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think it will really do much more harm if a genuine person is treated as a troll, than if all the good natured forum members spend 5 min of their time responding.

Give this person the benefit of doubt. It might be a vital matter. Might not. But friendly guidance will not be wasted on other lurkers who are looking for answers to similar questions.
Some questions are more suited to other forums. It is up to the individual to choose or not choose to respond to any given post. Some I chose not to respond too for various reasons - outside my 'expertise', I don't know the answer to the question or am not sure, some answers can be found by searching the web or finding forums geared to subjects that are not related to BD and some I feel I am better off not responding too .... especially when I am in a neck wringing mood:lol:
~Mosaic

Amulya

Do members of this forum not recognise when someone joins the forum just to mock them?

Someone is bouncing between the forums setting up IP addresses in various countries and the only way to end it is to recognise it and then not indulge.

I have made these mistakes myself on one or two occasions.

How does this person set up IP addresses in various countries? I thought that was not possible.